Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 02:57 PM

512 posts, read 473,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Republicans who control Michigan's Legislature voted Wednesday to advance a measure that strips campaign-finance oversight power from the Democratic secretary of state-elect, and they moved to give lawmakers authority to stand up for GOP-backed laws if they think the incoming Democratic governor and attorney general are not adequately defending the state's interests.

The lame-duck moves followed within hours of similar efforts in Wisconsin , where lawmakers voted earlier Wednesday to shift clout to the Republican-controlled Legislature and weaken the Democrat replacing the GOP governor.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...owers-59628875

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 06:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
I don't understand why Michigan has a full-time legislature in the first place. None of them have done anything to benefit any of us "common citizens" as long as I can remember, and I turned 60 this past Monday. Regardless of the party in control at the time.

As for pushing through that Line 5 tunnel, Line 5 needs to be shut down NOW!!! WHEN that eventually ruptures, it's going to completely destroy the great lakes, and all of our fresh water. Whether there's a tunnel or not.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Granholm let the legislature run the state and Republicans still blamed her for their mess. Whitmer will either have more fight in her or be just another Granholm.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
As for pushing through that Line 5 tunnel, Line 5 needs to be shut down NOW!!!
I agree with this

Quote:
WHEN that eventually ruptures, it's going to completely destroy the great lakes, and all of our fresh water. Whether there's a tunnel or not.
hyperbole....when it fails there are shut off valves that respond to pressure drops in the pipes. So a leak, or rupture will not continue remotely long enough to completely destroy the great lakes and all our fresh water.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
I think it's petty and sad. It really reeks of the GOP members being "sore losers."

At this point, I really don't care for either party's behavior. At least, be gracious in electoral defeat. (Miss Manners, anyone?!?)

Fairness is something a lot of us value over raw power party politics.

I'm a "limited government" conservative because I'd prefer situations like this not happen in the first place.

If you didn't want the Dems to have that kind of power, then maybe you shouldn't have used and sought that kind of power yourselves.

You just can't say "it's good for me, but not for you" and expect things to go well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I agree with this

hyperbole....when it fails there are shut off valves that respond to pressure drops in the pipes. So a leak, or rupture will not continue remotely long enough to completely destroy the great lakes and all our fresh water.

There is? How come you NEVER hear about these "pressure drop shut off valves" in any news article that's ever printed about Line 5?

At least I never remember reading about them before your post above...

Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It is what they always do. nothing new or unusual regardless of party.. What will change? Absolutely nothing. It is just about which party gets to say "I win!" and feel good about themselves.

They will not fix the roads and each party will blame the other. They will not do anything differently. Yawn. Nothing will change.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:33 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
when it fails there are shut off valves that respond to pressure drops in the pipes. So a leak, or rupture will not continue remotely long enough to completely destroy the great lakes and all our fresh water.

"pipeline operators had thought the alarms were possibly caused by a bubble in the pipeline and, while for some time it was shut down, they also increased pressure for periods of hours to try to clear the possible blockage, spilling more oil."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalamazoo_River_oil_spill

Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Granholm let the legislature run the state and Republicans still blamed her for their mess. Whitmer will either have more fight in her or be just another Granholm.
If anyone mentions Granholm on this forum again, the post will be deleted. Grow up and move on. Let ye be warned.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
I don't understand why Michigan has a full-time legislature in the first place. None of them have done anything to benefit any of us "common citizens" as long as I can remember, and I turned 60 this past Monday. Regardless of the party in control at the time.

As for pushing through that Line 5 tunnel, Line 5 needs to be shut down NOW!!! WHEN that eventually ruptures, it's going to completely destroy the great lakes, and all of our fresh water. Whether there's a tunnel or not.
AGREED! Ask the residents of Kalamazoo what kind of safeguards Enbridge had in their pipelines in the Kalamazoo River.

There is no such thing as "fail safe." There is no such thing as 0 PARTS PER MILLION defective. There is no such thing as infinite redundancies. All of these things are driven by cost and profit (and I say that as a business owner). There is no allowable measure of risk for the Straits of Mackinaw. Especially since the pipeline doesn't serve Michigan. It goes from one part of Canada to another. Larry Bell of Bell's Brewery says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHWeewFXnGM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan