Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM

316 posts, read 1,181,352 times

Advertisements

Gull Lake in Richland Michigan, about 10 minutes from Kalamazoo, has some of the best is one of the best school systems in the state. I went to U of M Ann Arbor after attending HS at GL, and must say I was far better prepared for college then most students. Richland has very low crime, and is a very nice area to live in. It is not in the sticks like Mattawan, it has Gull lake to live on or near, and is very friendly. I believe they just built a new high school as well.
Gull Lake Community Schools, Michigan (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=dl/did=5606/midx=GradeHS - broken link)
Go here to see other schools and how they stack up. You will see Gull Lake is very proficient compared to the rest of the state. It is not that a majority graduate, but the fact that even the average students at the school go on and really do something after high school. It is a tough school, and a rewarding place to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM

282 posts, read 1,185,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
I went to Western in Kalamazoo for education, I have four and a half years of experience in the area school districts! For some of the schools being "rough" in kalamazoo (i teach out east now and they are nothing in comparison), there are some FANTASTIC magnet schools within KPS. I have not found anything that compares to these awesome magnet schools out east. I did my full student teaching at a magnet school and I did many practicum experiences at other magnet schools there is so much variety and involved programs i LOVED it and thought it was fantastic!! ask me about the schools
I was also a substitute teacher in Mattawan and loved that school district! I also have close family friends who have taught in mattawan for over 25 years! they are also wonderful!
I did some "practice" teaching in Paw Paw which is in the same Intermediate district as mattawan and the schools and teachers there are great too!
One hitch with the Kalamazoo promise-in order to have your ENTIRE college tuition for free-first you have to attend KPS for your entire career, if you enter later it only goes down a bit each year but it won't be a full-ride
second is the college you choose must be in state-still awesome if you ask me!
Plainwell just north of Kalamazoo is another great small district!!

Thanks so much for the above info, also thanks to deslok..............great info guys, very helpful.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:07 AM

27 posts, read 97,012 times
Michigan's schools are state funded and therefore most districts receive the same amount of per pupil funding from the state. Some get a bit more because they were funding at a higher level locally when the legislation known as Proposal A was enacted. School districts can do essentially nothing to raise more money for the actual classroom although they can for "brick and mortar" issues. Districts continually complain that they are under funded but every one loves their low property taxes! We recently moved to IL, which funds locally. Our tax bill went through the roof. Our new district funds students locally to the tune of $12,000 a year. Our old district in MI...$8,400. Honestly, I don't see a bit of difference in the actual education. I'd look at curriculum being used in districts you are interested in, that is what is really important. Avoid those with Whole language programs for reading rather than phonics based porgrams and reform or "new-new" math programs like Everyday Math that were just blasted by the National Math Panel's final report released last month. Money isn't everything and neither are the MEAP scores. Don't be fooled by high proficiency rates. "Proficiency" means getting about half of some very, very basic questions correct. remember, MEAP is only used for NCLB compliance. States get to make their own tests...so they make them EASY to keep the fed. off of their backs (you get sanctions if you don't meet proficiency standards). Unfortunatley, MI has some of the lowest standards in the country.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 AM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
as far as i understand AngelaK sounds like an educator, therefore she understands differences in curriculum and what she likes as teaching methods. I personally do like whole language instruction. Some of the magnet schools in Kzoo have their own curriculum that they formulate to coincide with the state standards.
here is a website about how to benefit from the k promise
https://www.kalamazoopromise.com/?mode.page.view=76

most of this site is under construction but it does give you basic information about the magnet schools that i love so much
Magnet Schools (337-0183) - Home (http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com/education/dept/dept.php?sectiondetailid=552 - broken link)

I did my student teaching at Spring Valley Center for exploration
I did some practice lessons at Woods Lake Elementary
and I did a writing project with some fourth graders at Washington Writers Academy

Old 05-11-2008, 02:59 PM

189 posts, read 704,638 times
Saline has very good schools, their MEAP scores are always high if not the highest in Washtenaw county. Here's their website:
SAS|Home

Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Alot on here about public schools. I'll throw in some very well respected privates in the Detroit area:

Detroit Country Day (I believe the most expensive school in the state and probably the most "prestigious", with children of wealthy immigrants from all over the world).

Cranbrook (about the same price as Country Day; academics and athletics perhaps a little lower, arts a little higher, but absolutely gorgeous wooded campus with renown art and science museums, beautiful architecture, and very highly regarded graduate art school that works with the high school students).

Green Hills

Brother Rice (boys)

Marian (girls)

University of Detroit (boys)

Also - the International Academy, a unique public school in Bloomfield Hills, was ranked the best high school in the country a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan