Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 34,534 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have an interview next week in Benton Harbor and am trying to find some potential places to live between Kzoo and BH. I was born and raised in Portage and have a lot friends and family still in that area. If I land the job, I'd like to be near Kzoo but also not have too long of a commute to BH.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to live within a reasonable distance between the two cities? I'm a single early thirties guy and would like some form of city life, things to do, nightlife, etc. (even if its small town). I've been looking online at Paw Paw and Mattawan as potential areas but those seem like they may be a little too far of a commute but I'm not sure how long those typically are during a rush-hour. There doesn't seem to be much info on available apts/homes to rent online. Also, I don't know too much about the St. Joe area other than playing baseball and basketball games there in HS (been awhile). I would also consider South Haven or really any of the surrounding areas. Ideally, I would love to live on a lake or inland lake community, etc. However, first and foremost, I'd like to find a nice apartment to get settled for a while and then begin to look for a place to buy given the time constraints with relocation, etc.

Any knowledge of specific places/apts or insight is greatly appreciated. I'm excited about getting out of the traffic and crowds of Chicago and nice cost of living differential!

Cheers,
KL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 PM

316 posts, read 1,176,975 times
ST Joe is great! You would be near Lake Michigan and the people are mostly very attractive. You could do a lot of fun things on the lake, and be near Chicago folks in the summer.
Mattawn, and Paw Paw for someone looking for nightlife? Coming from Chicago? Don't waste you're time.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 34,534 times
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to consider St Joe for sure! I understand the nightlife won't be anything to sneeze at in Mattawan and Paw Paw but just wondering if there are things to do I guess. I have an interview on Tues. and they are having some folks take me to dinner to discuss apts and places to live, commuting etc. Wish me luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 PM

218 posts, read 505,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klchicago View Post
Hi All,

I have an interview next week in Benton Harbor and am trying to find some potential places to live between Kzoo and BH. I was born and raised in Portage and have a lot friends and family still in that area. If I land the job, I'd like to be near Kzoo but also not have too long of a commute to BH.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good places to live within a reasonable distance between the two cities? I'm a single early thirties guy and would like some form of city life, things to do, nightlife, etc. (even if its small town). I've been looking online at Paw Paw and Mattawan as potential areas but those seem like they may be a little too far of a commute but I'm not sure how long those typically are during a rush-hour. There doesn't seem to be much info on available apts/homes to rent online. Also, I don't know too much about the St. Joe area other than playing baseball and basketball games there in HS (been awhile). I would also consider South Haven or really any of the surrounding areas. Ideally, I would love to live on a lake or inland lake community, etc. However, first and foremost, I'd like to find a nice apartment to get settled for a while and then begin to look for a place to buy given the time constraints with relocation, etc.

Any knowledge of specific places/apts or insight is greatly appreciated. I'm excited about getting out of the traffic and crowds of Chicago and nice cost of living differential!

Cheers,
KL
If you want city life and nightlife, eliminate Hartford, Lawrence and Mattawan from your list.

If you are looking for lakes and lake areas, you can consider Watervliet and Coloma. They both have very active lakes in the summer. They are 10 miles from Benton Harbor, maybe closer depending where you live.

St. Joseph will have the most entertainment options. A drive between St. Joseph and Kalamazoo during typical traffic is 55 minutes on I-94

Old 04-12-2008, 02:25 PM

316 posts, read 1,176,975 times
NOt only that but you can take the train from downtown and be in Chicago in an hour and a half or so I believe. =)

Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,721 times
Are you still looking???

Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 AM

107 posts, read 355,730 times
St.Joe would be my first pick..

If I can only get a job there!!!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 AM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,332,832 times
Kalamazoo O_O

Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 PM

943 posts, read 2,272,566 times
St. Joe has a lot to offer someone with a decent job, and more. You could easily go to KZoo every weekend, if you are healthy and hvae good transportation, it is about an hour and 15 minutes to get there. I used to date someone all the way from KZoo to South Haven. Paw paw is very small, Hillsdale is a happening town compared to Paw Paw, and Mattawan, just seems to be a boring bedroom community of Kzoo.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 AM

107 posts, read 355,730 times
I might be planning a trip up there next month just to prospect some, I haven't been on that side of Michigan in over a year now..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan