Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:12 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'd be willing to bet almost every one of the so called sex offenders in Gaylord are kids who got caught with their girlfriend and the result of some pissed off parents. There are so many things you can do to be put on the sex offender list it is really kind of stupid. If I had a choice I pick Gaylord sex offenders over Harper Woods. My guess they or most of them are TRUE sex offenders. Rapists/child molesters etc.
The crime statistic is misleading as well. Before you start spouting off about how crime ridden Gaylord is compared to Royal Oak, Troy and other big cities. Have a look at the violent crimes committed. Murders, rapes, beatings etc. When you have so many homes vacant year around those area's are more prone to theft, and vandalism. Guess what? Majority of it comes from people from the cities you listed that travel up there. There are parts of Utica I would not walk through in day light. For how educated you claim to be your post is sure filled with some stupid statistics and information.
Harper Woods and Gaylord each had the same number of homicides as of 2007. If you are afraid to walk through Utica, you must live a sheltered life. I also never said Harper Woods would be any safer than Gaylord, in fact, the stats say otherwise. Royal Oak, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights etc. had zero murders so they are about the same in violent crimes. Gaylord had 6 rapes in 07 and Harper Woods had 9 with three times the population. Your theory on sex offenders further proves my point that kids have nothing better to do but drink, do drugs, and have sex. Looking at the offender list in Roscommon, 75% of them are in their 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You must not have learned much in college. If you are going to present items as facts you need proof. Lets look at some of your false statements shall we, then look at the actual numbers.

That one I will give you as getting right.

Nope. Here is the newest chart by county of poverty levels in the US from the Census Bureau: As you can see there are plenty of Counties out there that are lower. Northern Michigan does NOT have the highest poverty levels in the Country. In fact go to (State and County Data - Census Bureau) and look back at past years, we are getting further AWAY from poverty in Michigan county by county.

There are plenty of states that have lower household income levels than Northern Michigan. LA for example has 16 counties that are lower than our lowest level. MS has 33 counties lower, AL 13 lower, TX 32 lower, NC 6 lower, etc.... In fact since we are talking Otsego County here, more specifically Gaylord you should note that Otsego County sits at #26 for household income in Michigan out of 84 Counties. Hardly the lowest you are trying to make it out to be.
ERS/USDA Data - County-Level Unemployment and Median Household Income

Are you serious? By definition 1/2 the counties and/or cities in the US are above the US average. Just because we have some shouldn't come as a shock to anybody. For every city you can pick downstate that has a lower crime rate than Gaylord, you can also find one with a higher crime rate. That is the nature of the beast.

Great, now tell me how many of those that are above poverty and have higher median incomes are actually year round residents in Gaylord? Otsego is still higher than state and national averages in crime, poverty, median income.

I guess the only area we can shed some negative experiences on is Detroit. heaven forbid someone who has experienced the area and a lot of the negatives in precious northern Michigan, bring them to light.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Harper Woods and Gaylord each had the same number of homicides as of 2007. If you are afraid to walk through Utica, you must live a sheltered life. I also never said Harper Woods would be any safer than Gaylord, in fact, the stats say otherwise. Royal Oak, Troy, St. Clair Shores, Sterling Heights etc. had zero murders so they are about the same in violent crimes. Gaylord had 6 rapes in 07 and Harper Woods had 9 with three times the population. Your theory on sex offenders further proves my point that kids have nothing better to do but drink, do drugs, and have sex. Looking at the offender list in Roscommon, 75% of them are in their 30's.
You seem to have a very selective reading problem. I helped a buddies cousin move to Utica and the part she was in was a dump. I've learned what kind of areas to avoid and this area had slum written all over it.

Your also looking at 1 year. Oh my gosh Gaylord had a murder in 2007 it's a crime haven because Troy did not have a murder in 2007. How can you seriously even attempt to compare Gaylord to any cities down here? When I think of bad areas I think of places I would not take my kids. Or even wonder after dark. Gaylord does not fit that in any way shape or form.
So I guess with Harper Woods having 235 assaults we can conclude people have nothing better to do than to get drunk and beat up on strangers right? Or with their 329 robberies they rob to stay above the poverty line? Man I bet people are scared to death there, do they have bullet proof glass at the gas stations and party stores? With that many robberies and assaults they better.

Last edited by JGatti; 03-23-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
You seem to have a very selective reading problem. I helped a buddies cousin move to Utica and the part she was in was a dump. I've learned what kind of areas to avoid and this area has slum written all over it.

You simply said you would not walk through some areas of Utica, not this story of a buddy you helped moved. Where are these slum areas? I have a friend that lives in Utica. Right off of West Utica road and Mound.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Great, now tell me how many of those that are above poverty and have higher median incomes are actually year round residents in Gaylord?
All of them probably. Ever take part in the Census data collection process? I have been chosen twice to do the whole interview data collection and one of the first questions they ask is residency. Data is from residents of the area, and not Summer residents. Quite interesting actually, but I hope I don't get "lucky" again, it takes a good 1 1/2 hours to answer all the questions they ask.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,622 times
MichMom, you out there? lol- just a few more of my "two cents", here~ !!

I haven't read back over the forum too much at the moment, but I'm going to guess that you have kids- I don't know if they have Halloween the same as when you were here last, but last year was my first go-round with it here---everyone walks up and down main street, in their costumes, crowds like mad...and spooky music playing all over town- and the merchants hand out candy- it was such a fun, safe experience- we loved it!

People who want to live a...different quality of life, would do well here - by that, I mean if "things" aren't your priority, and you have other areas of life that are important to you (family, living a "simpler life", outdoors for the kids, safety, etc.), then I think this would be a wonderful place for you to come back to- the fact that you have family here is really good- we don't have any family here, and if it weren't for the fact that we're older (in our 40's), and the only work that's available is just really back-breaking (well, to us, who have held "office" jobs for years), and the fact that this has been the roughest winter around here in a decade (who would have thought that the middle of the state would get colder, and more snow, than places like Alpena and Traverse City???!!!), this would be wonderful...if we were retired, had family around, on unemployment or disability- going to California isn't exactly what I want to do, but it's the only place I have family-

I think you'll be happy with the choice you made

Old 03-24-2009, 07:11 AM

304 posts, read 1,433,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
MichMom, you out there? lol- just a few more of my "two cents", here~ !!

I haven't read back over the forum too much at the moment, but I'm going to guess that you have kids- I don't know if they have Halloween the same as when you were here last, but last year was my first go-round with it here---everyone walks up and down main street, in their costumes, crowds like mad...and spooky music playing all over town- and the merchants hand out candy- it was such a fun, safe experience- we loved it!

People who want to live a...different quality of life, would do well here - by that, I mean if "things" aren't your priority, and you have other areas of life that are important to you (family, living a "simpler life", outdoors for the kids, safety, etc.), then I think this would be a wonderful place for you to come back to- the fact that you have family here is really good- we don't have any family here, and if it weren't for the fact that we're older (in our 40's), and the only work that's available is just really back-breaking (well, to us, who have held "office" jobs for years), and the fact that this has been the roughest winter around here in a decade (who would have thought that the middle of the state would get colder, and more snow, than places like Alpena and Traverse City???!!!), this would be wonderful...if we were retired, had family around, on unemployment or disability- going to California isn't exactly what I want to do, but it's the only place I have family-

I think you'll be happy with the choice you made

OH yes! Im always around, I think I have developed an addiction to this forum! *S*

It is nice to have people to talk to, and no we was not up there last halloween but my sister and her family was and I remember her telling me about it. About the cold and snow, this was my sisters first winter up there and they have had a few nice days...she says to me "We cant wait to take the boat out" I said to her "uh, that might happen in June!" She was all flustered and didnt know what to say! *L* It was funny. NOW she is the one I think may have a hard time up there. Her and her husband are completely different than my husband and I. I think they have gained about 20 lbs over the winter because they just dont get out! They are only in their 20's and they have 3 small children. She is always complaining to me. I tell her I would trade her in a heartbeat! My husband would be out plowing and makin money on those snowy days not sittin in complaining! I would be out playin in the snow with my kids and makin snowmen! Going sledding! I torture myself always thinking about being up there! What I liked about living up there was that there was so much to see and do outdoors, maybe you have to drive an hour or two and spend the gas money but it made for a nice senic road trip. Down where I live right now....Nothing unless you want to spend money! Nothing pretty to see, nothing to take your breath away and put you in that state of aww. Maybe Im wierd but I love sight seeing when Im up there, walking in the woods...stuff like that. Can't walk in the woods down here, prob get shot! Oh and yes, I have 3 boys.....16,9,1yr old....I know.."who does that?" blows my mind how far apart they are! Guess it was meant to be! Meant to make me crazy!

Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,622 times
heh heh, don't feel bad- my oldest is going to be 28 in a couple of weeks, and my youngest is 13- I have a 14 yr old as well, then the age between jumps to 21, ha! My 13 and 14 year olds were my, "OMG, Dr., I'm WHAT????"

:P

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 AM

304 posts, read 1,433,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
heh heh, don't feel bad- my oldest is going to be 28 in a couple of weeks, and my youngest is 13- I have a 14 yr old as well, then the age between jumps to 21, ha! My 13 and 14 year olds were my, "OMG, Dr., I'm WHAT????"

:P
WOW!! Thats crazy, so we can kinda relate to each other! It seemed like every 7-8 years was the time for me! Then when I got my tubes tied the doc told me right before he put me out that he has been doing this for 30 years and not to worry he has only had 1 woman get pregnant "but that was 7 years later" *L* HA! Just my luck I was thinking! Im doomed!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,380 times
We moved here from the West Coast too. Also no family here. Also 2 boys, but 23 months apart...

I will say that we get out a LOT up here. I think you HAVE to to keep your sanity, but when it's -10 with a child chill of -20, it's hard to "enjoy" it. Plus, the days get REALLY short and it has to be cloudier even than Oregon. We do have the snow to reflect what little light there is, but it's certainly not for everyone. There is, I think, a lot of SAD and cabin fever, and if you're like us, it's had to afford to be able to "get away". IMO those who do the best are folks who have a place to "go" when they need a break from the winter up here, or the "rural thing". I'm sometimes jealous of folks who can get away regularly to a bigger city down South. We've also just about retired our camping gear, because we live in the woods and camping has no appeal to me anymore. It's like being home. But yes, when I do visit family in Chicago I'm so overwhelmed and overstimulated that I'm ready to head back after a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan