Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:48 PM

21 posts, read 76,647 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ELSE noticed how hard it is to find a job right out of college around here? It's just unbelieveable how hard it is to find anything.

Everyone talks about jobs not being open to people who don't graduate high school, or go onto pursue higher education, but what about those of us who have? We're being left in the dust or forced to move out of state, which will NOT help Michigan's failing economy. If all of the young, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed highly TRAINABLE and eager students are leaving for other states, that leaves Michigan with an aging, under-educated workforce.

There is something to say for the "aging" workforce though-which is experience, and that cannot be taught, but how are 22 year olds like me supposed to GAIN that experience? It's incredibly sad that someone with a Bachelor's degree cannot find anything better than a waitressing job or cashier position, because anyone hiring for full-time jobs with benefits wants 5-7 years of experience. Us new kids on the block can bring new technology and innovative ideas that can steer our Michigan-based companies towards the future, instead of keeping them so rooted in our past.

We cannot forget our roots and where we came from, but we need to spread our roots too. We cannot continue to be a one-trick pony or else our great state is going to be left behind....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 02:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
They tricked you.

Pheonix was just listed as the place to be for college grads. Good luck. If it's any consolation, I think it sucks.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM

21 posts, read 76,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
They tricked you.

Pheonix was just listed as the place to be for college grads. Good luck. If it's any consolation, I think it sucks.

My fiance and I are considering a move to Arizona or the Carolinas for jobs. He already has his bachelor's degree from Oakland University, and will be certified in a year to teach Middle Grades and High School social studies, which means no jobs here!

Luckly, my degree is in Legal Administration, and as a secretary I'll hopefully have a better time finding a job than he will, so when we have to move I won't be jobless for long. When I look a jobs in other "growing" states, legal secretary jobs go on for pages and pages and pages, whereas in Michigan, there are about 17 legal secretary jobs listed on careerbuilder.com

I hear though, that people from Michigan either love Arizona or hate it. I love water so it would definitely be a change, and I'd probably end up being miserable there. Not to mention the cost of living is rediculous! College grads have to pay an arm and a leg to get college educated, then they have to move to a place which charges them an arm and a leg to live there! No wonder our economy is in the shap it's in!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:37 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,412,227 times
Good for you!

The heat is dry, and believe it or not, it makes a huge difference. 95 degrees in the desert feels like 80 in Michigan. Not to mention, you have the added benefit of sweat generally not running down you because it evaporates so quick. Last summer, I was sitting on the porch and it was about 100 and I was shocked that I wasn't sweating. (Technically, I was, but that's how fast it evaporates.) There's always air conditioning too (which never smells musty.)

The water isn't that big of a deal. There are rivers all over and you can take weekend trips to the coasts-- West Coast or The Gulf. It's beautiful out this way. Michigan has a lot to offer, but it's kind of nice looking out your window and seeing mountains. It's different.

Check those lists for "best tax" states before you decide on anything.

Imagine a world with no mosquitos!

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
MI is what it is. It's an established state with a long history with the labor movement and a stable population. In general, the state skews toward helping established workers and protecting their interests. This typically means great benefits and good wages. The downside is it's tougher for young people to climb the ladder, so to speak.

You pay a teacher at the higher end of the pay scale 50% more than other states, provide them with much better benefits than the average American, and you end up having enough money to keep two older teachers employed vs. five younger teachers in states with growing populations to boot. This protects older workers, but it's not great for the echo boomers coming of age now. Boomers *should* start retiring in great numbers in the upcoming decade, but it's difficult to say as many are retiring later and later. They also get all the tax breaks when they need it much less than young adults just starting out. They are after all the wealthiest generation of all time (with ironically the least savings). Welcome to Cruel Reality 101.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:53 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,352 times
Michigan is a baby boomer dominated state, and it does suck. They don't move no matter how bad things are, they find new and improved ways to not contribute, and protect their buddies when anyone young or new comes along as a challenge. I am happy to be free from Michigan and in an area where young and old interact in a way that is give and take.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,906 times
MI is particularly bad, but the entire country is pretty much dominated by boomers. What makes Ann Arbor so sad is that the progressive "activists" are for the most part old yippies who change out of their power suits and 5-series cars once in a while to relive their glory years while the college students yawn in apathy.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:09 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,352 times
LOL, right on Cato. That hit it on the head.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM

136 posts, read 482,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
LOL, right on Cato. That hit it on the head.
Should be SOL (sobbing out loud, or the other one). Either way, the future is not bright for young grads. Luck and timing will have as much impact on their economic status as hard work. I had to leave the state to find a professional job way back in 89. Then it was constant downsizing and frequent pay freezes. I finally found another professional job, but I make only $10K more than I did in 1989. That's a actually a significant cut after inflation. Still I'm not complaining. I can't even earn 1/2 as much doing construction on my own.
The train wreck will come (it's probably already here) when government finds it can't possibly squeeze all the tax revenue out of future generations it will need to make good on all the promises to gov't employees and boomers. The old saying "as goes General Motors, so goes the goes the country" is still relavant today. Old line employees/politicians would rather sink the company/country than adjust expectations to a realistic level that might allow future generations the opportunity to find meaningful work in this country.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean85 View Post
Has anyone ELSE noticed how hard it is to find a job right out of college around here? It's just unbelieveable how hard it is to find anything.

Everyone talks about jobs not being open to people who don't graduate high school, or go onto pursue higher education, but what about those of us who have? We're being left in the dust or forced to move out of state, which will NOT help Michigan's failing economy. If all of the young, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed highly TRAINABLE and eager students are leaving for other states, that leaves Michigan with an aging, under-educated workforce.

There is something to say for the "aging" workforce though-which is experience, and that cannot be taught, but how are 22 year olds like me supposed to GAIN that experience? It's incredibly sad that someone with a Bachelor's degree cannot find anything better than a waitressing job or cashier position, because anyone hiring for full-time jobs with benefits wants 5-7 years of experience. Us new kids on the block can bring new technology and innovative ideas that can steer our Michigan-based companies towards the future, instead of keeping them so rooted in our past.

We cannot forget our roots and where we came from, but we need to spread our roots too. We cannot continue to be a one-trick pony or else our great state is going to be left behind....

But look on the bright side. When you're 22 years old, it's a perfect time to venture out into the world, try new places, meet new people. You're not bogged down by a lot of possessions, don't have family responsibilities.

It's good experience, part of the learning process, helps make you adaptable. Don't see it as being forced to move but being given an opportunity to see the more of the world before you someday settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: