U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 08:29 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,982,367 times

Advertisements

The corrupt Bay City government just approved selling two of their drawbridges to private companies. This has been in the bag for a long time, they just put it off as long as they could because the residents are dead-set against it. https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-b...e-company.html

Anyway, that means TOLLS of as much as $1500 a year for a working person that crosses those bridges every work day. Even higher for a non resident that works in town and has to cross the river.

All because of government mis-management right from the start.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 AM

51 posts, read 65,625 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info posted. It is ALL appreciated. We are in a tough spot as Seniors who don't have enough money to actually drive around and SEE all that is available in our price range. Hard to know what to do at this point in our lives where the cost of living is so high everywhere.

Thanks again to all who offered help.

Old 01-23-2020, 12:08 PM

38 posts, read 30,139 times
Bay City has some gorgeous houses, and a lot of up and coming festivals. There's always something to do and to keep you busy. Beautiful libraries as well.

Honestly, Houghton Lake would be my choice, though. Except for the winters, it seems like there's more for seniors to do. My grandmother moved down to the Vassar area from living in Houghton lake for nearly twenty years about six years ago and still regrets it.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 PM

8,098 posts, read 8,607,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I'd caution against buying a home online in any situation but especially in Bay City. The vast majority of available housing stock is very old with tons of issues not immediately apparent.

Foundation issues are super common, for one. Avoid anything within the city for the most part, and look at the townships.

One thing to consider is houses on the city don't sell, so if you're moving to the area be darn sure you're not going to want to leave, because you'll be stuck with whatever you buy unless you're buying a nice McMansion outside of town or something.
This is good advice. No replacement for a good realtor and visiting the home yourself. If your going to live there it is worth the flight to make sure it is the right home. Internet pictures cannot tell you things like the vibe of the neighborhood or the smell that lingers in the home. Personally I would want to see it...AND be with the home inspector as he does his checklist. It is such a serious investment.

When I lived in Michigan I always liked Bay City. It is so much nicer than its neighbor Saginaw. It is also a good down to earth un pretentious town on the lake. It is also relatively close to both the attractions of Northern Michigan and to the bigger city things at the bottom of the state. Both the Mackinaw bridge and downtown Detroit are about two hour drives in opposite directions.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 4,172 times
Bump! Apologies for any threadjacking, OP, but I didn't want to make a repeat post on the same town. Any feedback is appreciated!

I'm also considering moving to Bay City - Michigan native, grew up in Oakland County and have since lived in A2, TC, Flint suburbs, Austin TX, suburban Atlanta, and abroad. But MI is definitely home.

My fiancee and I are both in our 20s and remote workers, so employment opportunities in our industry not being available isn't a huge deal. But we would like to start planting roots somewhere and start a family.

Bay City seems really appealing due to a plethora of cheap housing and all the money coming in to redevelop the downtown core. We could buy a house outright in BC for the cost of a down-payment on a smaller place in GR or A2, and given that nearly every market in MI has recovered since '08, it seems the Tri-Cities is one of the last remaining options for reasonably-priced housing.

We're going to do some more recon in the area as I've never been to downtown Bay City, but if anyone has any input on a couple questions that'd be fantastic:

1. BC looks like it continues to bleed population despite all the money coming in to redevelop + new DOW and manufacturing jobs. Why is this? Is it just the elderly passing on, or are younger people moving and not coming back?

2. What are age demographics like in the city like - are younger people moving in? A shrinking town isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a shrinking town that can't replace an aging population w/an already distressed real estate market could be rough.

3. What are rental opportunities like for landlords? Were we to buy and remodel a house in town but decide the area wasn't for us, can single-family homes in BC be rented out with relative ease? Not looking to house-flip, would rather work with tenants.

4. Is the downtown core redevelopment buzz true or just fluff? Uptown, trendy coffee places, restaurants, City Market... from the outside looking in, it seems like a future growth area but it's strange that they're building "Yuppie Millennial" infrastructure with no real jobs to attract said Yuppie Millennials.

5. Anything else of note?
I hear the summer festivals are cool and that the South side of town East of the river is the only real no-go zone in the City. I've also heard a lot about high water/sewage costs living in City limits... how high we talkin'?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MittenChain; 01-29-2020 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-07-2020, 11:42 AM

51 posts, read 65,625 times
Default Thanks

Just read your post and while you are so much younger than we are MANY of our questions seem to be the same. I am wondering if you have made the move by now or not. Mid winter is not usually the time people choose to move but that hasn't stopped us before. Anyone considering a cross country move is at a disadvantage if they don't have enough money to visit often and spend time somewhere. Bay City seems to me to not only have beautiful residential areas but also in a price range that we as Seniors can afford. Not too many places like that left anymore. We moved FROM Houghton Lake where we were sitting pretty due to a family situation we needed to be near and then they moved to TN. Go figure. So now we are stuck back on the West Coast (EXPENSIVE) and need to get out of here asap.

If you have made the move to Bay City perhaps you could give me more information about how you are liking it and what housing you found. Thanks and hope you are doing well and got what you needed.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:20 PM

42 posts, read 22,680 times
I grew up in BC, and stayed there into my 40's, still have friends and family in that area and usually go back and visit a few times a year. My thoughts might not reflect the current reality in BC, I've been gone awhile, but I think I have a decent feel for it.

The city itself has some issues, I personally would not live inside the city limits. There are definitely some nicer areas in the city, the Carroll Park area on the east side, and there are pockets on the west side that are nice. You can just drive around and you will pretty quickly see where you want to avoid, and where you might want to live. So if you have your heart set on living inside the city limits, you can find a nice place.

1) the city is bleeding population, people are staying in the area but moving into the townships. Taxes are considered high by city residents, and they don't think they get get value for their property taxes. But that seems to be the case everywhere.

2) not sure about age demographics. BC is pretty well known for bar nightlife and drinking culture. You are young, you may like that. Not sure if the bar patrons are city residents, or out of towners. There are also a lot of festivals in the Summer, so definitely stuff to do.

3)to me, living in a more costly area now, real estate inside Bay City seems cheap. And I think there are a lot of renters in the city, so it's probably a pretty viable option for you to become a landlord.

4) I'm not current enough to know about the downtown core redevelopment. I do know that BC has issues with their bridges, they are privatizing 1, I believe, and they need ( or the State needs to ) invest a lot of money into the Lafayette Bridge. My guess is that the downtown does not become an urban mecca for young people working in high tech jobs, if that's what you're wondering.

5) BC is a fun town. I personally wouldn't invest in a home there, but that is just me. It's easy to live in the townships and go into the city. I like Monitor and Bangor townships, a lot more green space, but that is just me, and might not be what you're looking for. I would definitely rent in BC before buying anywhere, you can learn a lot in a year or even less about hwere you want to live in the area.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan