U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:05 AM

3,662 posts, read 5,237,317 times

Advertisements

Good that you're not moving for 2 -3 years. That'll give you time to do some real research and talk yourself out of it.

I'm a Michigan native who lived elsewhere for 30 plus years and moved back for the same reasons you're considering. Yeah it was nice being back around family and friends, but after I got married and had kids we eventually left again because I got tired of the constant layoff threats and economic roller coaster rides. Was hoping Michigan had moved past that when I moved back, but I don't think it ever will in my lifetime (I'm 50 now). The state governments of the past 40-50 years really screwed that place up badly and although they're trying hard to recover that simply doesn't happen overnight. I don't have time to post particulars, just do some research so you can make a solid decision for your immediate family. The info is readily available.

Some of my extended family chose to remain there, but some left as we did and swear they'd never go back. Many kids from Michigan choose to leave for better opportunities and more stable economic environments when they reach adulthood.

Not really trying to be a dissenter here, just another opinion based on personal experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 09:36 AM

775 posts, read 344,350 times
Thanks for the feedback Tyryztoll. I appreciate hearing all sorts of different perspectives. If you don't mind my asking, where did you end up?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Thanks for the feedback Tyryztoll. I appreciate hearing all sorts of different perspectives. If you don't mind my asking, where did you end up?
Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Minnesota is very similar to Michigan in correlation with landscape and latitude, but with a much stronger and more stable economic environment. It’s not perfect because no place is, but it suits our family very well.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:16 AM

214 posts, read 203,922 times
I will weigh in later on the suburban house search but am curious - are you up near St Albans? Our son is a dentist in S Burlington and has a lake house in Alburgh. 2nd son is over in in St. J.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:25 PM

775 posts, read 344,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
I will weigh in later on the suburban house search but am curious - are you up near St Albans? Our son is a dentist in S Burlington and has a lake house in Alburgh. 2nd son is over in in St. J.
We're in Milton, around halfway between S Burlington and St Albans. Small world.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:12 PM

29 posts, read 41,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Greater Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Minnesota is very similar to Michigan in correlation with landscape and latitude, but with a much stronger and more stable economic environment. It’s not perfect because no place is, but it suits our family very well.
Usually I lurk in these forums rather than post, but I wanted to play devil's advocate because I did the move from Michigan to the Twin Cities area: I tried it for like two months and hated it, so I moved back to MI. The climate is much more extreme in MN than in MI, cost of living is higher, housing is more expensive and traffic is worse.

I'm glad you enjoy MN and am not here to rain on your parade, but it isn't for everyone. MN is more liberal than MI is (a positive or a negative depending on your politics) and the state government being in St. Paul does mean that there is more stability in a recession. The point being to weigh your own priorities and do your research before deciding on a move.

More to the OP's point, I second the point made by someone else here to rent for a year. That way if something isn't to your liking, you aren't stuck trying to sell a place you don't want.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1837 View Post
The climate is much more extreme in MN than in MI, cost of living is higher, housing is more expensive and traffic is worse.

I'm glad you enjoy MN and am not here to rain on your parade, but it isn't for everyone. MN is more liberal than MI is
First off, I really wasn't trying to sell MN to the OP, they simply asked where I landed so I told them and elaborated a bit as to our reasoning. They're considering a move to the Detroit metro, so if we're comparing that to greater MSP the only thing in your post I could tend to agree with is the weather assertion, seeing as the cold here is so extreme.....but even that said it's not like Detroit is exactly balmy in the winter. They're both notoriously cold upper Midwestern climates.

COL is not THAT much different, especially the housing. I'm assuming OP is not going to live in Detroit proper where at one time in recent history you could get a house for a buck. Many of the Detroit suburbs - in stark contrast - are among the nicest in the nation and homes there are not any cheaper than in suburban MSP. Places like Novi, Troy, Northville, Grosse Isle, etc. are gonna cost ya plenty. Also not sure how you can say the traffic in MSP is worse than Detroit because that's not even close to being true. Metro Detroit is about 2 million more in population with much worse traffic. I've lived in 7 major metros around the country - including Detroit - and the MSP traffic is by far the easiest I've dealt with in all of them.

As for which is more liberal - Detroit did not become the U.S. poster child for collapse and dysfunction because of conservative leadership and policies. I'll let that speak for itself.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:11 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,202,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
The Grand Rapids area is very nice. It is also the most conservative part of Michigan, and is very religious. I don't know whether or not those things are pros or cons for the OP, just putting it out there.
This is a bit of a dated/stigmatized view of that area. Keep in mind that over the last 40 years the areas around Grand Rapids have almost doubled in population. Really diluting the core population that made up the original stereotype. As Beachmouse pointed out the city of Grand Rapids has been politically liberal since at least the 1980’s. The inner ring burbs have a surging minority population, as the gentrification in the city has caused a population shift over the last 20 years. Really to find remnants of the above post you need to go to Ottawa County(western burbs) which is still the most conservative populated county in MI. Michigan flipped republican in the last election due to the counties around Detroit, Kent County had it’s weakest conservative showing in a decade.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:50 AM

915 posts, read 1,234,302 times

Yeah......I knew these suggestions would be controversial.

In the end, there's just a contradiction between experience and these kinds of incidences.

Both Brighton and Howell are popular with people who live in my area because there's just not a lot in South Lyon. Brighton, Novi and Ann Arbor are the closest "big cities" in my immediate area. So, most people think shopping, activities, work opportunities, and more medical/dental choices/hospitals when they think Brighton (and, to a lesser extent, Howell). Racism isn't on the list for most people.

I still think that Brighton and Howell are solid choices, even if they have a "rep".

(Obviously - there's a reason for it or else it wouldn't exist, but things are changing very rapidly in this area.)

Demographics are shifting very quickly because new subdivisions are being built on farmland that young people aren't interested in farming. In the end, it's not just white people moving in our communities around here. (Lots of small ethnic restaurants and shops are popping up all over in the area these days).

We ended up moving out to the South Lyon area for cheap housing and part of the selling point for us was that this is a growing community (which means change.) So, even if the community isn't ideally what I want it to be today, it will be in the future. This area is very dynamic at the moment and it's exciting to be in a town that's changing and growing and not just an established place and "one of many generic suburbs in the area". (I'm not one to complain about the fact that some of the dirt roads are being paved and new people are moving in!)

So, that's why I don't think you should rule out places like Brighton and Howell. There's just an opportunity to be a part of something bigger that you won't find in some of the older, more established suburbs.

People keep trying to stir things up, but that's not reflective of how most people live their lives out here. Most residents are just as angry about this kind of thing as "outsiders" are and don't want anything to do with this stuff either.

And just because people keep trying to stir things up doesn't mean that an audience actually exists for it - especially given how Gen-X'ers and the Millennials were raised. A lot of the people who bought into that stuff are dying off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan