Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2020, 12:57 AM

20 posts, read 27,606 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering moving from Colorado Springs to Tecumseh this summer. I have never been to the area and have a few questions. I realize it is a small town so I'm wondering about the following:
  • Where is the closest hospital?
  • Are there good options for doctors and dentists or is it better to go to a larger city for this?
  • Same question as above about veterinarians
  • I read that the schools have been having some problems lately. Have these issues been resolved and the situation improved?
  • We would like to rent a house first to make sure we like the area before making the commitment of buying. Are there many rental homes available?
  • What type of activities and entertainment? Movie theater?

From what I have read in other posts on this forum it looks like a great place for families.

Thanks for all of your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Tecumseh was a Native American Shawnee warrior and chief, who became the primary leader of a large, multi-tribal confederacy in the early 19th century.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:07 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renelou View Post
Hello, I am considering moving from Colorado Springs to Tecumseh this summer. I have never been to the area and have a few questions. I realize it is a small town so I'm wondering about the following:
  • Where is the closest hospital?
  • Are there good options for doctors and dentists or is it better to go to a larger city for this?
  • Same question as above about veterinarians
  • I read that the schools have been having some problems lately. Have these issues been resolved and the situation improved?
  • We would like to rent a house first to make sure we like the area before making the commitment of buying. Are there many rental homes available?
  • What type of activities and entertainment? Movie theater?

From what I have read in other posts on this forum it looks like a great place for families.

Thanks for all of your help
1 - Major hospitals in Ann Arbor. Smaller hospital in Adrian. Very small hospital in Tecumseh
2 - Your probably going to Adrian for doctors and dentists
3 - Vets are local (it is historically a farming community)
4 - Schools, can't say. I played sports against them, and in the 90s the men's bathrooms at the HS had no stall doors... That's all I've got
5 - don't know
6 - Some small town stuff. Lots of outdoors stuff. Movies in Adrian. Everything in Ann Arbor

Old 01-08-2020, 03:20 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Tecumseh is your classic midwestern small town. That includes the good, bad, and the ugly aspects of towns like these.
A lot like many that you may tend to find it that swath along the Michigan-Ohio border, Northwest Ohio, Northeast Indiana.

Unlike some more remote parts of the state or region, you are only about 45 minutes from Ann Arbor which as all the amenities, creature-comforts, activities, and supporting system of a large world-class university town. You also have a major international airport/airline hub about 45 minute drive away, and you have all the aspects of Metro and Downtown Detroit including sporting events, cultural stuff, more trendy dining, etc. Basically you are not far from all things a bigger city would offer.

The downside a bit is that its a bit more of your typical conversative midwestern town. Not the most progressive place for outsiders, people you place a high emphasis on education, and has been hit like the rest of Michigan with a lot of industry closing in the areas in decades prior.

If you place the utmost importance on really good schools, frankly you probably want to look to places like Saline or Chelsea that are bedroom communities for Ann Arbor have the wealth, funding, and people who place a value more on education.

If you go in with the mindset and desire what a smaller town can offer you'll be fine.

Old 01-08-2020, 03:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have some friends who live there. They love the place. It is a very cute town. They said the schools are very good. The stayed their through their kids graduation form High School. We lost touch with them after that so don't know whether they are still there. Ann Arbor is a bear of a drive even though the distance is not that far. There is a little river and also a train track that run right through town. One is a plus, the other not so much.

Clinton Township and Manchester are both nice little places as well. They are a little closer to Ann Arbor.

Tecumseh took a big hit when Pfizer moved out of Ann Arbor in 2007. A lot of Pfizer people lived in Tecumseh. The real estate market never recovered (as of about three years ago).

Old 01-08-2020, 08:03 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
I grew up in Tecumseh. Actually outside of town but the Junior High and High School were in Tecumseh, my dad's job was in Tecumseh, and primary shopping was in Tecumseh. For a long time I thought it was the perfect place to live and raise a family, but no longer......

• Downtown businesses are mostly gone. There were three Drug Stores, three Hardware Stores, two furniture stores, four clothing stores, two banks, three Grocery Stores, two lumber yards, multiple restaurants, etc. Almost all are gone and not replaced.
  • Large Employers are gone. Employment is now found in Ann Arbor or further away.
  • Quality Health Care and Hospitals are all in Ann Arbor & Ypsilanti. Many local Doctors have ZERO Hospital Privileges.
  • Travel between Ann Arbor and Tecumseh sucks! Your choices are US-12 which is a 6 mile bumper-to-bumper traffic jam every day between US23 and the west side of Saline, or Stony Creek & Ridge Roads which are filled with a deadly mix of 70mph personal vehicles, 5 mph farm equipment, and LOTS of blind curves.
  • School Administration is a disaster with warring factions of parents demanding the firing of every Superintendent who is hired, most serving less than one year.
  • As a former resident and now outsider, I get the feeling that too many residents are hallucinating about the halcyon days of years past and cannot see the present.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:32 AM

20 posts, read 27,606 times
Thank you all very much. This is all very helpful information!

Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 3,583 times
Hi there!! I currently live in Tecumseh and have so for the last 15 years. Maybe I can be helpful in trying to answer your questions about Tecumseh.

1. Promedica Healthcare pretty much dominates our area which the new hospital should soon be completed in Lenawee County which is only minutes from Tecumseh.

2. There are many choices for doctors locally or not far in Ann Arbor. I do love our dentist located in Clinton, just north of Tecumseh. She purchased a practice about a year ago and is also instructor for U of M.

3. There are a lot of veterinarians to chose from in the area. They are all different so my suggestion is to call and talk to each to see who would be the best fit before deciding. I lean towards holistic vet which there is only one in the area that practices this way.

4. School situation will hopefully be under control soon. A new superintendent has been hired, lets see where this goes.

5. I cannot offer much information on rental homes.

6. As for entertainment, there is a movie theater near by which all new comfortable seating. Downtown Tecumseh has some pretty nice selections of restaurants to eat at. Cute stores to shop at, three bakeries, couple of grocery stores and so on. No vacant storefronts, just a nice area to stroll and enjoy. Adrian is nearby with more larger type stores such as Meijer and Walmart if needed.

Personally, I cannot say enough nice things about Tecumseh. I love living here and do call it home. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:04 AM

1 posts, read 888 times
Tecumseh was a Native American Shawnee warrior and chief, who became the primary leader of a large, multi-tribal confederacy in the early 19th century.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/mich...#ixzz6IG9wN39o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan