U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 12:52 PM

13 posts, read 6,761 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a modest house in the Grosse Pointe area. I work in Detroit and would prefer a shorter commute time.

Even though I like Oakland County, the housing stock is so much better in Grosse Pointe for the cost. Birmingham and Royal Oak are too overpriced, imo. Lake Orion is probably a good investment if sprawl continues to move northward, but I would not like the long commute to and from work.

I have looked at Grosse Pointe Woods, but I have concerns about the city's long term stability, and now I am deciding if I should save more to buy in Grosse Pointe Farms or Grosse Pointe City.

Grosse Pointe Woods - Does anyone have opinions about the affordable areas West of Mack Ave? Is this area a good place to buy, or does anyone believe that this area will be one of the first in Grosse Pointe to go if/when the crime and instability of east side Detroit and Harper Woods spreads? Has anyone from the area noticed trends with Grosse Pointe Woods? Would anyone recommend not buying West of Mack Ave or not buying in Grosse Pointe Woods at all because they believe long term outlook isn't good? Would like to hear from people who live or have lived in this area.

Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, and Grosse Pointe City - Any opinions on these cities. Reasons why you would recommend or dissuade someone from living there? Anyone have a favorite and why.

Having children is a possibility in the next ten years. From what I've read South is higher ranked than North, and the same is true for the elementary and middle schools in Grosse Pointe Woods (lower ranked) compared to the other Pointes.

Because I'm still young, I need to consider long-term what a neighborhood will be like in 20-30 years. If it will be a place I want to live for the rest of my life, and if I move, whether the housing value will increase considerably or remain stagnant because of increasing crime, decline in schools, etc.

If there is anyone who thinks Oakland County is a better investment even though the housing stock isn't as good and more expensive, I'd like to hear your reasons why, too.

Last edited by MWnative; 01-12-2020 at 01:07 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 07:00 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,212,572 times
I can't go into too much detail about very specific areas of Grosse Pointe, but the area has strong self-identification as a community as will continue to be desirable based on its proximity to downtown Detroit and Lake St. Clair.

With the resurgence of the greater downtown Detroit areas and surrounding neighborhoods, Grosse Pointe is only going to remain strong if not become stronger. Its close and generally doesn't have the traffic issues of getting out to Oakland County and has excellent schools.

Ultimately, you first of all want to pick a home on a place where you and your family want to live. If its where you want to live and meets your criteria then go for it. It can really start to be spiltting hairs when thinging about the investment potential and no one and project what is going to happen 30 years from now. Live where you want to live and what makes sense.

If you it checks most of the boxes and you can have a reasonable commute, then go for it. Its not worth driving 1 hr plus from downtown Detroit to Lake Orion unless there is a really strong reason puling you to live there. (e.g., close to spouse's job, family, etc.)

Old 01-13-2020, 06:42 AM

915 posts, read 1,206,411 times
You really can't go wrong with any of the Grosse Pointes. It's a solid area.

Sigh....The lowest rank school in Grosse Pointe isn't like a low rank school in Detroit. School rankings only get you so far -

Example - our son was in the lowest ranking elementary school in Rochester Community schools and we still thought it was a great school because the teachers and staff were still amazing. What made it low ranking was that there was a huge transient population because there were a lot of apartment complexes zoned to that school.

Then we moved into the lowest ranked school in Plymouth Canton - we hated the school and you could tell there was a very different vibe there among teachers and staff. We couldn't wait to find a better housing situation outside of that district. Again, part of what made it a low rank was that it was a transient neighborhood full of apartments, but there were also a lot of issues with the teachers/staff in the building. For all the talk of PCCS being a 'good district" we were really disappointed and let down by our experiences at this particular school.

So, I'd take "low rankings" with a grain of salt. Especially in an area like Grosse Pointe. I'd be more concerned if it was a more middle class area, but the Grosse Pointes are a few steps up from St. Clair Shores/Roseville, etc. (Not that everyone who lives there is super snobby, but it is a wealthier area. Need to stop digging myself in a hole here....ugh.)

I also agree with DTWflyer that you need to live where it makes sense.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:28 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,407,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWnative View Post
I'm looking to buy a modest house in the Grosse Pointe area. I work in Detroit and would prefer a shorter commute time.

Even though I like Oakland County, the housing stock is so much better in Grosse Pointe for the cost. Birmingham and Royal Oak are too overpriced, imo. Lake Orion is probably a good investment if sprawl continues to move northward, but I would not like the long commute to and from work.

I have looked at Grosse Pointe Woods, but I have concerns about the city's long term stability, and now I am deciding if I should save more to buy in Grosse Pointe Farms or Grosse Pointe City.

Grosse Pointe Woods - Does anyone have opinions about the affordable areas West of Mack Ave? Is this area a good place to buy, or does anyone believe that this area will be one of the first in Grosse Pointe to go if/when the crime and instability of east side Detroit and Harper Woods spreads? Has anyone from the area noticed trends with Grosse Pointe Woods? Would anyone recommend not buying West of Mack Ave or not buying in Grosse Pointe Woods at all because they believe long term outlook isn't good? Would like to hear from people who live or have lived in this area.

Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Park, and Grosse Pointe City - Any opinions on these cities. Reasons why you would recommend or dissuade someone from living there? Anyone have a favorite and why.

Having children is a possibility in the next ten years. From what I've read South is higher ranked than North, and the same is true for the elementary and middle schools in Grosse Pointe Woods (lower ranked) compared to the other Pointes.

Because I'm still young, I need to consider long-term what a neighborhood will be like in 20-30 years. If it will be a place I want to live for the rest of my life, and if I move, whether the housing value will increase considerably or remain stagnant because of increasing crime, decline in schools, etc.

If there is anyone who thinks Oakland County is a better investment even though the housing stock isn't as good and more expensive, I'd like to hear your reasons why, too.
1. Grosse Pointe Woods is considered the least of the Grosse Pointes. It wasn't incorporated as a Grosse Pointe until the 1940's/50's; it does not have the abundance of 1920's/30's tudors and colonials like the other Grosse Pointes; and it does not border Lake St. Clair, so residents have a lakeside park in nearby St. Clair Shores to call their own.

2. The schools feeding into Grosse Pointe North, of which a few are located in Grosse Pointe Woods, aren't quite the same calibur as Grosse Pointe South, but this MLive article from 2017 indicates that Grosse Pointe North is still on the top 30 public high schools in the state

3. The disintegration of the far east side of Detroit bordering the Pointes has been ongoing for 40-50 years, however the Grosse Pointe communities remains strong and like DTWFlyer said, is seeing a resurgence, in part, due to its proximity to downtown Detroit.

4. I'm not the most knowledgeable, but basing a home purchase on its potential 20-30 years in the future seems a bit much. IMO due to its housing stock, neighborhood commercial districts, location on Lake St. Clair, strong sense of community, and proximity to downtown, the Pointes will always be an in-demand community, especially if its schools stay strong. That's the key. The district has lost 1,000 students over the past 10 years, and are closing one or two schools. This trend is happening in other parts of Michigan due to our lack of births, our brain drain, and our lack of immigration.

5. Oakland County does have housing stock on par with the Grosse Pointes, both in the highly desirable Woodward Corridor - Pleasant Ridge and Huntington Woods. Commutes to Detroit would be quick as well, but the school districts those 2 communities belong to aren't as good as Grosse Pointe.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 AM

57 posts, read 128,652 times
Long term outlook for Grosse Pointe (all of them) is very strong. The GP’s are similar to Birmingham and Bloomfield in that elite private options (GPA and Liggett) are viable and in close proximity. You should be aware that GP is closing some elementary schools and merging. I believe Poupard is closing and all Poupard students will be absorbed into Monteith and Mason. You can look at the demographics and school ratings to see how this might impact home values in those sections of GPW and GPF. IMO those same kids go to middle and high school together anyways, but you asked so I figured I’d answer. There is a school in GPP closing as well, but it’s GPP kids merging with each other. I doubt that would have a huge impact on value.

Old 01-19-2020, 06:27 AM

13 posts, read 6,761 times
There are many children who go to lower ranked schools who go onto competitive colleges and even the Ivy League. I don't dispute that a gifted child can become successful whether they attend a school that is rated 6 or a school that is rated 9.

From a real estate perspective, property values become jeopardized once schools in an upper middle class neighborhood start to get low ratings from sites like Great Schools. From a buyer's perspective with little knowledge as to why a school is ranked low, why would anyone want to pay high taxes for middle of the road schools, when across the street, they can pay similar taxes on a slightly more expensive home and get schools that are ranked 9 and 10?

I have been reading up on the closing of Poupard, and I do wonder what it will mean for property values for the neighborhoods around Monteith, Mason, and Parcells.

I agree that long term outlook for Grosse Pointe will become stronger as long as Detroit continues to develop its Downtown area and around its best neighborhoods - University District/Bagley/Palmer Park/Sherwood Forest, East English Village/Morningside, and Indian Village/West Village. There will be more professionals - both black and white - who will choose to move to Downtown and those upper middle class Detroit neighborhoods. Those who want a more suburban neighborhood with good schools will choose Grosse Pointe to be close to work.

I do believe that Grosse Pointe would be in an even stronger position today if the reputation of Harper Woods had not fallen to the wayside. If Harper Woods had become a middle-to-upper middle class city, it would have bolstered Grosse Pointe Woods' image a lot. Instead, Harper Woods has gotten way worse in the last two decades and is known for crime and white flight.

Last edited by MWnative; 01-19-2020 at 06:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or