U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 10:07 AM

30,339 posts, read 75,378,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
I left the Detroit area when I remarried, and was gone for 15 years. We returned in 2017 to be closer to kids (only one of whom lives in Michigan, but the others are within a day trip).

I too missed the Great Lakes. I missed the texture of Detroit. I missed the close proximity of fine arts, big concert venues, and major league sports (such as they are, right?) I missed going to games at the Big House. I missed Lebanese food. I missed Lipuma's Coney in Rochester. I missed being home.

And there is a LOT to say - intangible of course - about the value of being back home. I learned, in those years away, that there are many great places to live, but only one home town. (And technically I don't live in my home town, but close enough!)
I left metro Detroit for Southern California in 1988 and returned (sort of ) in 2005.

After about two years our family sat down and made lists of what we liked better about each place. The lists were about equally long and equally weighty items. Detroit had an unfair edge because my extended family is here, but still, it compares well when you start thinking about all things. People who go to Southern California for vacation think we are insane. Every place seems better than it is when you visit on vacation. We have a lot of major plusses here.

Surprisingly our biggest annoyance here was the lack of quality and variety of restaurants.

Cold weather is balanced out by intolerably hot weather and Santa Ana winds.

Lack of sunshine is balanced out by no smog, wildfires, earthquakes, floods, or absolutely ridiculous traffic (by comparison none).

Ocean/Beaches are balanced out by lakes, forests, streams and rivers that actually have water in them, and canoeing/kayaking in our front yard. Plus we have nice beaches here too (nicer beaches on the West side).

Sports/cultural offerings are actually better here.

It goes on and on but there is a balancing factor for nearly every negative. This is a great place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 07:57 AM

57 posts, read 137,803 times
I moved to St. Clair Shores two years ago and absolutely love it. I could live anywhere in metro Detroit and picked SCS. We moved here from Bloomfield and haven’t looked back. We can be downtown in 20 minutes, Royal Oak in 15 minutes and really anywhere in no time. To your question SCS is on the major upswing. We are a dual income couple in our 30’s and have met a lot of similar aged and younger couples moving here, shunning the McMansions for closer proximity to the action. Being in Macomb county is a GOOD thing our taxes are way cheaper than Wayne County. I’d pay a visit to the SCS city website check out all the recreation and senior activities, festivals, etc. This city has its act together. Oh, and 4 breweries in this one town. Plop down at the bar at any of the breweries and you’ll make friends without even trying.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,257,245 times
The house is probably in the flood zone, so get flood insurance.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:48 AM

9,102 posts, read 9,891,230 times
I also left Michigan and I am still happy with my decision to do so. I enjoy my yearly trip up there, especially Northern Michigan but I really have no plans to ever live there again. However if I was going to live up there I would choose western or northern Michigan any day over southeast Michigan. Grand Rapids has a stable economy and it is just nicer than other Michigan big cities. Detroit and it’s burbs are just so tied to the boom bust auto industry that economic instability is an accepted way of life there. Also it cannot be denied that in spite of improvement efforts Detroit is still a very troubled place.

When I think about the good things about Michigan almost all of them have to do with Western or Northern Michigan. If I was going to make a move it would be to the nice area of the state.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:08 PM

468 posts, read 749,131 times
Sounds like you answered your own question. I live in Macomb county and not a fan of SCS but If I was in your shoes I would move in SCS house, get settled ,job and then branch out from there.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:33 AM

3,800 posts, read 5,965,556 times
Native Detroiter here. I'm assuming the home OP inherited is paid for and their current home in Iowa may not be?

If they want out of Iowa as bad as they say that would be a no brainer for me if that were the case. Having a home that's paid for goes a long way toward living in a sketchy economic zone as long as they plan on staying in it.

Otherwise I wouldn't do it because they're still working and the constant threat of layoffs in Michigan really affects the quality of life. I moved back (to Northern Michigan) from the south in 2007 and got tired of hearing and reading about all the closings, layoffs, strikes almost instantly - even in the healthcare industry, which is my line of work. They closed a hospital that was in our system and were always laying people off at ours. It was not fun to experience.

OP if you decide against going back to Michigan and don't mind staying in the Midwest, consider where we wound up here in Minnesota. The economy here is excellent, jobs are plentiful with great pay and although many older folks still snowbird in the winter the ageism factor is not as much of an issue here as you seem to be seeing in Des Moines.......plus, MN would be an easy move for you being so close.

Just a suggestion.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 6,495 times
Default flood zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The house is probably in the flood zone, so get flood insurance.
Actually, back in Michigan, we rarely had flooding issues. in fact, never heard of "flood zones" until we moved to Iowa. Des Moines is constantly rebuilding homes in the "Birdland Area" every year or so. This place has spillways because there is no where for heavy rains or melting snows to go. (unlike the Great lakes). I want to get OUT of flood zone county and that is Iowa.
These people seem to get insurance for the riskiest situations and this place is HOME to several national insurance companies.
Simply put, this place does not make sense when it comes to flood possibilities.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:46 PM

7 posts, read 5,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBuddy View Post
The funny thing about Quicken Loans is that it is in the same building the Fed was in where my husband worked for over 20 years. (He knows where all the bodies are buried! shhhh!)

Much thanks for taking time to put your 2 cents in! Your opinions are invaluable.
You guys inherited a house in a pretty desirable area - anything around Lake St. Clair is very nice and close to employment opportunities! I haven't spent much time in St. Clair Shores but have friends in New Baltimore, it's a cute town.

If he's an ex-Fed employee, he should have zero issues getting a job at Quicken Loans. They'll literally hire just about any college kid with a pulse so prospects for a guy with a good resume are very favorable.

There's lots to do in Downtown/Midtown Detroit and the areas with new cash are pretty safe - much safer than 10 years ago. I prefer the vibe and entertainment options in A2 personally, but it's a bit far from you.

As a sidebar, let me know if you do relocate. I'd love to buy your husband a beer and talk his ear off about how keeping artificially low interest rates for a decade is going to destroy the American economy again :P We need a new Paul Volcker over at the Fed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan