U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 PM

6 posts, read 1,722 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm looking to make a move back to the Detroit area to be near family. I have found a few good employment opportunities in the area and my wife found a really good opportunity to...in Toledo. Neither of us really wants to move to Toledo, that would defeat the overall purpose of coming back. We're looking for a commuting compromise. What is the best downriver suburb halfway between Detroit and Toledo? Does anyone do this commute now?

We have 1 kid (not school age yet) so schools will become important in the future but not so much now. Childcare abundance/availability (daycare, sitters, nanny etc) is probably more relevant these days. Current house is 30 years old and it's fine; don't need a new build but not looking for an old house that needs a lot of work. Don't need crazy nightlife, Detroit will be 30 mins or less away. Just looking for a safe, family-friendly community. Diversity is a plus (though I know not a staple of downriver) seeing as how we are non-white. Communities within a reasonable commute that I've seen are Woodhaven, Brownstone, Grosse Ile, Trenton, and possibly Wyandotte. Monroe would make my commute longer but hers short. I don't know enough about the area for that one. Let me know your insight, thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 AM

27,549 posts, read 65,224,398 times
Hands down the best place for families is Grosse Ile. It is one of the best places for families anywhere. I have written about it often and at length, just search "Coldjensens" and Grosse Ile.

Downsides:
Expensive.

Taxes are higher.
Decaying County bridge or expensive toll bridge.

Any significant shopping except groceries are 7 miles away in woodhaven or if you are near the toll bridge, then only a mile or two in Wyandotte

Very little diversity. It is rare that we have any Black families. We do have a number of mixed families. Middle eastern and Indian families are more common. The latter groups seem to be reasonably well accepted. A Pakastani (I think) woman was the high school homecoming queen the year my son graduated. There were some disturbing incidents with black kids in the past. Nothing shocking but bad. Some kids yelled a nasty epithet at one of our daughter's friends in the hallway (and then got beat up by other kids). A kid was left a nasty note in his locker (most kids at the school do not bother with locks on their lockers).

GI is best for active/participatory people. Best if you like: Boating, fishing, tennis, golf, sailing, bike riding, hiking, nature, gardening, community participation. IN the high school, kids who do not do a lot will be eclipsed by their peers.

Trenton is probably next best. They are especially strong in Band and Theater (and Hockey of course).

Other cities with decent schools include: Woodhaven, Flat Rock, Riverview. Spouthgate is ok. Brownstown is ok. Wyandotte has a really neat downtown and is an overall neat city but not the best schools and a bit more crime in areas than some people tolerate. However that is relative. Neighter the schools nor the crime rate is horrible, just higher than other places.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:32 PM

Thanks Coldjensens. I've been to Grosse Ile a few times, ate at their Coney, don't know if it's still there lol. Nice place, we'll keep it in mind

Old 01-20-2020, 11:33 AM

2,282 posts, read 2,674,893 times
My brother-in-law lives(ed?) in Lambertville. He works in Dearborn, his current wife in Toledo. I wouldn't live there though.

Carleton is pretty OK, but on 275, so if you need to get to DTW or Plymouth/Novi a better place. Not hard to get to 75 though.
But, yeah, Grosse Ile.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:01 PM

6,005 posts, read 7,312,710 times
Do you want to be on the I-75 or US 23 corridor?

Old 01-21-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Man247 View Post
Thanks Coldjensens. I've been to Grosse Ile a few times, ate at their Coney, don't know if it's still there lol. Nice place, we'll keep it in mind
Island Coney is still open. We even have a Tasty Freeze now. There are about eight or ten restaurants. No chains (except Starbucks inside Kroger and Hungry Howies pizza). Nothing really exciting either. My personal favorites are Kathy's Cafe or the Shushi place next door. There is an OK Chinese restaurant, and several bars with kitchen type places. Two actual restaurants. At least one of the yacht clubs still serves food.

Most of your dining options are off the islands, but Trenton right next door has some good places, and Wyandotte has more. Woodhaven has lots of chain restaurants if you like chains.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,665,793 times
Woodhaven/Brownstown Schools are about 30-40% non-white and appear to be rated average-above average by state standards.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Do you want to be on the I-75 or US 23 corridor?
I'd rather stick to the I-75/275 corridor. Anything between Ann Arbor and Toledo on 23 is too rural for my taste. Plus the goal is to be close to Detroit

Old 01-24-2020, 07:42 PM

Plymouth is nice

Northville too

Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 PM

6,005 posts, read 7,312,710 times
Canton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or