U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 07:28 PM

4,855 posts, read 8,810,538 times

Advertisements

I'm an Ohio native (as is my spouse) who has lived in Michigan for the past 23 years. I am not in love with the state for various reasons and would move back to Ohio if our kids weren't in Ann Arbor and an outer ring suburb of Detroit. As it is, we do fine in a small town twenty minutes from Ohio because we live in an area where people maintain their homes and have pride in their surroundings and the climate is not really any different from where we are from, but if our kids left Michigan we certainly would too.

That's just a personal opinion based on preference. The roads here are not as uniformly atrocious as you would be led to believe, some of them in our area are newly paved and very nice. People in our small town are mostly friendly and unpretentious. I just personally have no use for "up north" as I don't have a desire to go somewhere colder or with fewer amenities, or anything directly to the west of us which is largely small towns and cities that have seen better days (Jackson, Jonesville, Coldwater, etc.). To the east of us is Lake Erie, more or less, so no problem there. As long as I stay in the extreme southeast corner of the state and travel from time to time it is fine and we will stay put for now because we want to stay close to our kids. I would say that one would need to appreciate more things about Michigan than we do to really enjoy living here, but it is ok, we've seen worse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 08:50 AM

606 posts, read 224,579 times
My list:

Pros-
1. Cost of living is overall very reasonable. Auto insurance is the notable exception but there are some changes coming in July that will give policyholders more choice with their coverage and will lower costs.

2. Downtown Detroit has transformed dramatically over the past few years and is now full of retail, restaurants and other amenities like parks and green spaces. The DIA is a gem and there is no shortage of the arts and other events. Obviously, not so much this year (thanks COVID).

3. DTW is consistently rated one of the best airports in North America.

4. Lots of interesting small downtowns throughout the state (hope they can survive post-COVID)

5. Summer and fall weather are glorious. Fall in Michigan is more than just a season, it truly has it's own identity.

Cons-
1. Road construction is a nightmare year after year. It is not unusual to have your main travel route, as well as the next two detours, all under construction at the same time. Band-aid fixes often applied that require the same stretch of road to be worked on again 2-3 years later.

2. Not much in the way of outdoor recreation. There are plenty of parks and trails for walking, but that's pretty much it. "Up north" is beautiful, but does not have the same outdoor recreation and activity offerings that Colorado does. People generally go up there just to sit around and relax. Skiing (if you are into that) is basically non-existent compared to Colorado.

3. Very dependent on the auto industry. When it goes through a downturn it negatively affects most of the state, particularly the Detroit Metro area.

4. Winter and Spring weather. Winter starts in November and lasts well into April. Not only is it cold and often windy but it is VERY overcast. It is not unusual to go for weeks on end without seeing the sun in the dead of winter. It can get very depressing and is honestly one of my least favorite things about the state. By the time April rolls around you expect better weather but are often greeted with temps in the 40's and plenty of rain/wind/clouds. It really doesn't start getting consistently nice until mid-May.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:57 AM

7,076 posts, read 8,898,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post

2. Not much in the way of outdoor recreation. There are plenty of parks and trails for walking, but that's pretty much it. "Up north" is beautiful, but does not have the same outdoor recreation and activity offerings that Colorado does. People generally go up there just to sit around and relax. Skiing (if you are into that) is basically non-existent compared to Colorado.

Can you provide a list of the many types of outdoor recreation in Colorado? Downhill skiing is the only one I am familiar with.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:57 AM

9,089 posts, read 9,873,618 times
I will give my two cents on this topic but I will start with a disclaimer. I am a Michigan traitor.....I left for the South, the place my family originally was from anyhow. I have no doubt someone would point out my status as someone who walked out on Michigan and it is true. I did leave and I did it quite a few years ago.

The OP asked about the economy, jobs and quality of life issues. Let’s start with the positive. Much of Michigan is very pretty. It is woodsy, watery and outdorsey. I am talking mostly about northern Michigan and western Michigan. These areas are beautiful, miles of Great Lakes shores, inland lakes and endless woods. If you enjoy hunting, fishing, hiking, camping etc then Michigan has these things. I loved Michigan’s hunting opportunities. Some of Michigan’s cities are close to these things. Grand Rapids and Traverse City are popular and they are (were) thriving until recently. Much of Michigan’s population lives in Michigan’s southeast however and that area is not as nice. Some of the worst places in America can be found in SE Michigan. Detroit, Flint, Saginaw all are literally famous for their blight, poverty and crime. Flint is absolutely the most depressing place in America. Suburban Detroit and Ann Arbor however are nicer but still these places are quite close to the not so nice neighboring towns. Detroit is trying to revive so the jury is still out on whether it can recover. Flint and Saginaw are hopeless. If you choose to move to Michigan know that not all of Michigan is equal. Some places are nicer than others.....much nicer. Know the community you choose and where it sets in Michigan’s pecking order.

Jobs? Michigan is famous for its turbulent economy based on the automobile industry and its cycles. It really is a boom/ bust kind of place. Much of the auto industry’s jobs are near the Southeast Michigan cities, mainly Detroit area and Lansing. Flint and Saginaw have lost all their jobs and those places are tough to find work even in good times. Layoffs are common in Michigan, the auto industry is famously cyclical. Good times and bad times come and go in much more dramatic fashion then in the rest of America.

The economic future of Michigan however is something to really be concerned about. Michigan has had a lot of negative attention due to its dictatorial governor and her over reactive lockdown. This has destroyed people’s lives and businesses and many of Michigan’s citizens are extremely unhappy. Yes it will eventually end but the damage it did will be long lasting. Michigan’s lockdown was magnitudes greater in its severity then it was in much of the nation. Some have tried to protest the shutdown or defy it but way too many Michigan residents just accepted and obeyed it. Most of those people voted for the woman too. This fact would prevent me from ever living there again. I still have family and friends up there and I am SHOCKED at the conditions I am hearing about and the infringement of civil
liberties. The state always leaned left (one of the reasons I moved away) but to see this kind of authoritarian government in place there just saddens and upsets me. I have lost much respect for Michigan for tolerating and allowing this to happen. I would encourage the OP to seriously consider whether or not you would want to live under this kind of thing in the future (yes it will likely happen again). After what happened I could never again call the place home. Right now it is more like a prison. It will also likely be a place of mass poverty when these lockdowns are lifted and half the businesses are gone.

The OP has to decide for herself whether she can live there or not. Moving somewhere you really do not like for your spouse will not be easy. It’s a big decision to make a cross country move.....both y’all need to agree and be happy about the decision. Make sure you both understand the troubles Michigan is in right now.....they are quite serious. The outcome is a huge unknown. This is really true for the entire country as a whole too. It would be terrifying to make this kind of move with all that is going on. I wish the OP the best of luck with this decision.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 725,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
IThe economic future of Michigan however is something to really be concerned about. Michigan has had a lot of negative attention due to its dictatorial governor and her over reactive lockdown.
By the numbers, Michigan is the hardest hit state outside of the crowded Northeast - and far more of it is rural or lower density suburban.

I think a case can be made that the Detroit metro could follow different rules from the rest of the state, but if taking a macro view, the harder lockdown really is in line with the greater severity of the disease there.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 20,761,835 times
It's interesting to see the different perspectives on Michigan's harder lockdown. I see the whackaloons with guns and am 'oh yeah, right wing domestic terrorists and the Michigan Militia apparently just went into hiding for a while. Wonder when they're going to start blowing up federal buildings again.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan