Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 09:16 AM

404 posts, read 377,898 times

Advertisements

Not really Royal Oak, but I want to be within 15-20 minutes of Royal Oak if possible. Problem is my hubby is from a very small town and doesn't like the city life. We currently live in Midland, which is a good compromise for us. We love it here and I would stay here, but my kids have left and there is nothing holding us here anymore. My family and friends are in the Detroit area (Royal Oak, etc) so I would like to be closer to them if we leave Midland.

Is there any area that doesn't have the congested city feel to it that my hubby might be able to live with - again, within 15-20 minutes of Royal Oak? (My BFF lives in Royal Oak and I want to be able to jump in the car and be able to do random things (grab a coffee, go shopping, etc) with her anytime I want without having to plan it in advance due to distance.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,925,163 times
Unfortunately, there is nothing within 15-20 minutes of Royal Oak that doesn't mean busy suburban living or anything rural or small-town like. Royal Oak is right in the think of the busy part of Metro Detroit. There is a lot of traffic, its busy, its auto-eccentric.

Its a great area with lot of ammenities, some walkable downtown commerical areas, but its not really quiet, low-stress, traffic-free type of area.

Now, you can move to some quieter suburban areas where the older established homes have larger lots and privacy. Parts of Beverly Hills, Franklin, Bingham Farms, and Bloomfield Twp have areas that are a bit quieter, 1-2 acre+ lots, and quiet residential areas. You are still in a easy distance to Royal Oak, outside of rush hour, but its probably the best compromise you'll find for the area.

You'll probably want to hone down a bit more on what is important, as saying specifically doesn't like the city life is a bit broad and you'll have to find the specifics of such that are immediate deal-breakers either way (e.g., lot size, traffic, noise, house style).

Old 01-31-2020, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,083 times
Royal Oak is a nice town with lots to do, but it doesn't sound like your husband's cup of tea - sort of a "bustling yuppie" vibe these days with an increasingly young population. Most people who are looking for a more rural vibe end up farther North on 75 - the "country towns" start around the Rochester area and get smaller and more quaint as you travel up the Interstate.

It'd make the drive to Royal Oak slightly outside of your 20 minute request, but something to think about! Clarkston always reminded me of a tiny Midland with its charming downtown and green space, but it's about 40 minutes from Royal Oak.

As someone who's spent a good amount of time (though not lived) in Royal Oak, you should know that it's a very popular motorcycle/bike club town. They're not dangerous "bike gang" types, but just know that on Bike Nights for different crews (at least 1 a week) you'll be able to hear them from anywhere in the city.

Royal Oak Music Theater is a big regional venue so you'll also get noticeable population surges on big show nights.

If you're looking for peace and quiet, you should definitely factor that in.

Sidebar: How do you feel about Bay County in general, OP? Midland seems nice but is a bit out of our price range. My fiancee and I were thinking about buying a house in Bay City, but we're in our 20s and are worried that young people continue to leave the area like your kids have.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:23 AM

270 posts, read 286,900 times
What is your budget? Be aware that homes in Royal Oak are probably 2-3 times as expensive as comparable ones in Midland (even modest bungalows are $250k), and homes in Beverly Hills, Franklin, Bingham Farms, and Bloomfield Twp are $500,000 and up. If you aren't rich and don't have kids, I would look east. There's no big difference in housing stock between north Royal Oak and Madison Heights or even Warren, which are much more affordable.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:23 PM

915 posts, read 1,496,396 times
? Maybe Sterling Heights/Rochester Hills. But those are more like 30 minutes out from Royal Oak.

Royal Oak is still an inner ring suburb, so everything around it is pretty built up.

You can find quiet areas in Southfield, but like others have said, Bloomfield, Beverly Hills, etc are really expensive.

I'm just not sure if what you are seeking is realistic or possible w/in 20 minutes of Royal Oak.

Old 02-02-2020, 02:43 PM

404 posts, read 377,898 times
Thank you all for your input. We'll check out the area that have been mentioned.

Old 02-04-2020, 10:36 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,692,775 times
Southfield has area that feels bit country life (not all of southfield but there are houses on big lots). East Sterling Height is dead suburbia, not much going on there. He might like that & its not long drive either. Rochester Hills, Shelby Township might work. Macomb or Washington township

Just go north & bit East from Royal Oak and you should find more quiet area. If Royal Oak is on 13 mile + 15 mile = you are at 28 mile, that is very out from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan