Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 10:49 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,152 times

Advertisements

Has anyone reading this thread attended one of the Wyoming job fairs? I'm just curious about whether or not they were worthwhile. Were they advertising any jobs for college-educated folks or just blue collar jobs?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 AM

30 posts, read 180,941 times
what about lansing? is there any good places there, i have one friend on the east side of lansing, and she said it not to bad. what your opinion?

Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Default Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Has anyone reading this thread attended one of the Wyoming job fairs? I'm just curious about whether or not they were worthwhile. Were they advertising any jobs for college-educated folks or just blue collar jobs?
I happened to attend a fair that came to Jackson, MI over a year ago curious to see what was available in WY, and what I found mostly was work in the mining and forest industry with a few small companies looking for their starting point in paper manufacturing. Along with that came some managerial and white collar level jobs but mostly working/blue collar jobs. Paid well though..... hope that helps you out

Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Default E. lansing

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelina1982 View Post
what about lansing? is there any good places there, i have one friend on the east side of lansing, and she said it not to bad. what your opinion?
If you like a college town atmosphere you'll enjoy it. MSU is its main attraction, and you'll find that most businesses are designed around the student, as well as the employment that is available. Lansing's mayor has done a significant amount to attract business to the area compared to other cities and their mayors. Unfortunatley you cant control what is happening on a state level, but other than that if you like it and have a decent career lined up life should be good.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 PM

13 posts, read 69,302 times
I live on the water and love spending my summers on our boat. I also love downtown Detroit. I guess if I were to move it would have to be on the ocean and near a big city with lots to do for me to enjoy it. Other than that the economy and the long winters are starting to wear on me. I really feel like I could pack up and move tomorrow and not miss this place (although we would have to worry about selling some properties first).

Every year I find myself getting more and more depressed and the job and housing markets get worse and worse. Its almost scary when there seems to be no end in sight.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:20 PM

16 posts, read 21,385 times
And I dont think it will get better for another 3 years at least and as much as 7 years.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:48 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,907 times
Default May I make a small correction?

[quote=April H;309992]Yes, Michigan looks alot like West Virginia which is exactly what I thought a few years ago driving through Charleston; a grimy, dingy, depressed poor town. I left Michigan when I turned 18 and never looked back. I now live in N. Carolina, and I LOVE it here. Better economy, BEAUTIFUL, CLEAN area, and near everything. I have the mountains, sand dunes, and ocean all within a few short hours of a drive. If you do some digging, about a week ago a news paper article was published about moving in/out of some states, and Michigan was #1 with 66% MOVING OUT and N.Carolina was #1 with 68% MOVING IN! It goes to show you that even though there may be a threat of hurricanes every now and then (this past season had none!), people are getting smart and want to live somewhere that is better economically and the people are so much nicer here also! NORTHERN BORN, SOUTHERN BY CHOICE![/QUOTE]

With all due respect, a move to the South does not a Southerner make...

Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsjoe View Post
April H-

Accoring to the Florida and NC forums, Florida used to be the so called "promised land" before the hurricanes wiped away everything for thousands of people and ruined the lives. Now, all those people are heading to NC. So guess what? It will not be so clean that much longer. NC is the new Florida. Good luck with that.
Amen to that!!!!! You took the words out of my mouth. TN is the same way.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Default A state of mind....in a state of change

Frantic people making things even more frantic; but to some, a opportunity. Yes NC may have the larges influx of people, but with that comes more people who cant find work, overcrowded conditions, etc. So you drop several grand to move across the country and find that you breath the same air, make a touch more money but its all relative, because now you get paid 22hr instead of 15, but your mortgage takes the illusion away. Society follows popular culture, and everything else that is popular, but that rarely is the best thing to do. You give up living in a state that has more recreation that most any other state, one of the highest wage averages compared to home prices, among many other benefits. When the dust finally settles, yes there may be a few more people unemployed than any other place, but what there will be is a booming market fueled by cheap homes, and the influx of people relocating back to the area as our markets shift from manufacturing to service based industries. Its all really a state of mind, if jimbo says NC is better than MI, (or any other place)and if enough people believe him, then well everyone else has to agree right? Well, only those who hope to go after the same blade of green grass as the rest.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 AM

16 posts, read 21,385 times
stats do not lie, all states added jobs last 1/4, but one, Michigan, which lost 60 thousand jobs, when you cant find a job the grass is greener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan