Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Lots of afforable camping off the island on both sides fo the bridge.

Save your moeny for Island things (rent a bike, ride a horse, go on tours, etc). You may want to stay on the island one night just to get a flavor for it, but it is really expensive. You can get more enjoyement for your dollar by caming on the mainland.

Make a trip to Taquamenon falls. It is only a few hours drive and really neat. Leave a full day. Take a picnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 12:55 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,501 times
Honestly dining is not my favorite aspect of Mackinac Island. A lot of the food is frozen, mediocre, and comes at a high price. I do like Patrick Sinclair's, and the Village Inn has a decent breakfast. Mustang was just remodeled, the owners bough out Astor Street Cafe and they expanded into it. Curious how it looks now, it probably lost a lot of charm. They have streetside seating now. I used to like the Pilot House in the Lake View Hotel, but now it's Goodfellow's and I don't care for it. And I liked the Dockside Inn, but it closed and now it is occupied by Mary's Bistro that I don't care for either. Yankee Rebel is decent. I used to really like the French Outpost, but the Grand bought it a few years ago, renamed it the Gate House, "kept" some items, but now do them their way, and have a lot of weird stuff now. Horn's bar isn't bad. Jesse's Chuck Wagon is a MUST for breakfast. Martha's Sweet Shop has the best cookies and muffins ANYWHERE. And my grandparents swear by the Carriage House in the Hotel Iroquois, though quite pricey.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:50 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Lots of afforable camping off the island on both sides fo the bridge.

Save your moeny for Island things (rent a bike, ride a horse, go on tours, etc). You may want to stay on the island one night just to get a flavor for it, but it is really expensive. You can get more enjoyement for your dollar by caming on the mainland.

Make a trip to Taquamenon falls. It is only a few hours drive and really neat. Leave a full day. Take a picnic.
tahquamenon isn't even a few hours-from mackinaw it is only about one hour!-if you go that far then you should drive further up past paradise to whitefish point where the Edmunt Fitzgerald went down for sunset-or if you are there during the day go to the shipwreck museum-but yes tahquamenon is fantastic-swimming in the lower falls is a must if you have time!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM

85 posts, read 238,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepperoo View Post
I worked at the Chippewa hotel many moons ago during college summer break. i have to say that if you can splurge even just for a couple of nights, staying on the island is the way to go. Once the fudgies go home with the last ferry, the island is beautiful. Romantic walks along the pier, watch the sunset, live entertainment in the pubs are a few things I enjoy about the island at night. My dh and I have stayed at B@Bs when visiting Mackinac and we have really enjoyed it. Mission Point is probably the nicest hotel but pricey. Have fun!

the fudgies?

Old 05-18-2010, 04:46 PM

85 posts, read 238,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
tahquamenon isn't even a few hours-from mackinaw it is only about one hour!-if you go that far then you should drive further up past paradise to whitefish point where the Edmunt Fitzgerald went down for sunset-or if you are there during the day go to the shipwreck museum-but yes tahquamenon is fantastic-swimming in the lower falls is a must if you have time!
gosh I wished I had more than a few days this summer. We were going to go in June, but decided to wait until July,,,,hoping for warmer weather. Can't wait!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
It took us a little over 2.5 hours round trip. Maybe we went the wrong way. We did stop at a blueberry festival in or near Paradise but I subtracted that time from the travel time.

I will have to look for whitefish point. I am going up there soon for a Daddy day with my daughter (our kids each get a turn for Daddy day where they go one one one with Daddy to some intersting place).

Is there a good campground or inexpensive hotel in or near paradise?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkat05 View Post
the fudgies?
Mobs of tourists who come to the island just for a day - usually to buy fudge. Come on- Even I know that, and I live almost to Ohio.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:50 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It took us a little over 2.5 hours round trip. Maybe we went the wrong way. We did stop at a blueberry festival in or near Paradise but I subtracted that time from the travel time.

I will have to look for whitefish point. I am going up there soon for a Daddy day with my daughter (our kids each get a turn for Daddy day where they go one one one with Daddy to some intersting place).

Is there a good campground or inexpensive hotel in or near paradise?
OH, round trip?! I was saying one hour there....so one hour back I might drive a little fast too....i don't know!

I have camped at Tahquamenon state park many times and the lower falls campground is beautiful and wonderful and would be very close to paradise!....if your daughter likes to go "rock picking" like i did when i was little, there are some beautiful rocks on the beach at whitefish point and driftwood too!

I've never been to the blueberry festival, but have been picking in the woods there, yummy!!!!

you are all making me so homesick!!!!

I want to see everyone's trip photos!!! and hear stories!!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,722 times
I plan to take my 9 year old there for the first time this summer. I've been checking out things to do and there is A LOT! Not just the island but there are places just outside Macinaw city. There is a little place just outside of town called Mill Creek that looks pretty cool. They have zip lines through the tree's as well as walkways in the tree's, it looks really cool.
I'd also suggest staying in St Ignace or any other place that is close and cheaper. I might even look for a place a tad further than St Ignace just so your closer to go and do other things mentioned. No matter what your in for a treat. That whole area is awesome.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM

272 posts, read 724,212 times
Another site to see in the UP is Fayette. It's a ghost town. Quite an interesting place.

Fayette Michigan Historic Ghost Town (http://www.michiganbackroads.com/Attractions/fayette.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan