Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,841 times

Advertisements

I was raised in Jackson, but I have been gone 25 years. In my heart, Jackson is still home. Can anyone give me an update on the town? What is the name of Jackson High now? I'm a little homesick at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 07:16 PM

69 posts, read 209,581 times
Jackson High is still Jackson High, as far as I know. I guess Jackson is OK. I worked there for 5+ years and moved away 2 years ago. The 'hood is still the 'hood...basically anything bordered by Francis, Morrell and Greenwood St. That's about it.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,841 times
Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the link. I loved looking at all of the pictures. I have been away so long, I couldn't remember exactly where all of those places were. I loved looking at them anyway. Now I'll be able to share a little bit of my life as a teen, with my new husband. I didn't live downtown; I lived by the airport. I did take a trip up there a couple years ago with my 15 year old daughter and showed her Jackson High. (For some reason, I thought they had changed the name when the schools combined). It's kind of cool to share your former life with your children.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM

6 posts, read 19,812 times
Jackson seems to be getting more retail spaces like Panera Bread and Starbucks but overall not much has changed in 20 years. Housing is still affordable and not much in the way of art and/or cultural opportunities.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 PM

104 posts, read 416,134 times
I just moved from Jackson a few months ago. I had lived there for a year and had never lived in Jackson before that, but had visited there many times before. My opinion...I didn't like Jackson, mostly because I work in Ann Arbor, and the commute was getting old and expensive. I always felt like Jackson was just the place for poor section 8 people. I know that that isn't necessarily true, but that's the way I felt when I lived there, the town seems to give that kind of impression. The biggest drawback I found is that are practically no jobs at all in Jackson. I also really could not find the nice part of town. Not saying that the whole town as bad, but no one part seemed nicer than any other. Just my opinion...I didn't really mind living there, though, as most of the shopping I needed to do was nearby. I just couldn't handle the commuting time and expense driving from Jackson to A2 everyday.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:52 AM

693 posts, read 2,251,323 times
Default Jackson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibshelly40 View Post
I was raised in Jackson, but I have been gone 25 years. In my heart, Jackson is still home. Can anyone give me an update on the town? What is the name of Jackson High now? I'm a little homesick at times.
Well since you left, many jobs have also gone, along with families. I spent some time living in the area, and it is frustrating to see what has happened to the town. The town is still run by very conservative individuals who are against change to laws that would allow for tax breaks and expansions. Most schools are still the same, struggling to educate the public on how desperate millages are needed. Many buildings stand vacant, but the city allows for cheap strip malls to be built that often loose their occupants within months. There is no stable employment unless you are employed with the largest employers in the area, which is less than 5. Things were much better 25 years ago in the area than they are now, this is probably true for most of Michigan. I'm not trying to be overly negative, although the leaders of this city have done absolutely nothing to prevent the many jobs that have left the city from doing so. It is a sad situation, you have a town that has charm and promise and is neglected.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
Default Brooklyn Elementary School & Old Freinds

Hello everyone.

It could sound weird, but I need your help. My Name is Timothy E. Geiger and i´m writing from Moers, Nordrhein Westfalen in Germany and looking for Old Freinds and Classmates who remeber me and my Sisters.

The Names of my Sisters are Linda Ann & Sonja Monica and we all went to Brooklyn Elementry. One of my Teachers was Mrs. Nelly before we left Michigan and we (my Family and I) all went every Sunday to All Saints Episcopal Church. Dick Wildes was the Reverend at that Time. One of my Mother´s Girlfreinds was Holly Cougan, who worked at "The Exponet".

Paul Graham was the Princepal ( I hope i wrote it right) when I left Michigan and Dough Hunter was our Sheriff.

I´m also searching for my "Big Brother" Jim Hatheway. I hope he´s still alive.

My Mother used to work at "Haralds Place" and the MIS was one of my favorite places.

If anyone remembers the Time, please write me. I cant wait to hear from someone. E-Mail: [email]timdergeiger@arcor.de[/email]

Thx and miss Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan