Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Single mother living in North Carolina relocating to UP Michigan area, into outdoors, employment opportunities, looking for faithful Christian man

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 PM

9 posts, read 51,798 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Happy New Year! I enjoyed reading all that torrid had said and the replies. I am originally from LM...born in Livonia. My parents live in the thumb...but as a young child I would often go to the porcupine mountains with my Dad. I few years ago, I realized how much I really love the UP...and how it is "in my blood" so to speak...I long to live there. I live in NC now...and last Christmas I visited Calumet and in the summer I was in Iron Mountain...I am a single Mom of 4...ages 7,8,10 and 12. I feel that moving to the UP would give my children a better life. I am very much into the outdoors...I love the lakes and trees and rocks and especially snow... the UP is probably the most friendly place I've been..I am prior air force and I have lived overseas...and I know I belong in the UP. Now, I know someone said you need to have a job before you move...but I had applied for VA jobs in Iron Mountain..that I was qualified for..and I was turned down...I have associates degree...I currently am a TA in special needs. I also work at the boys and girls club and I am a server at golden corral. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do...to make my dream of living in the UP come true? Also, are there any good, faithful, Christian men in the UP? I am sure that there are...and yes I have a "YOOPER" plate on my car
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 AM

188 posts, read 810,886 times
Hiya Yooper at heart

Happy New Year to you as well

Ive been doing alot of research on the UP as i will be moving there soon as im done selling everything off here downunder.
The family & i will be moving to Menominee County. Even tho my wife was born there & lived the first 36 years of her life ,shes out of touch as things can change very quickly at times.

I suggest that you look up all the info that you are after on the net,as i have found that to be very much on the pace of change & use the local newspapers online for the county/district that you plan to move too.

I also look for info on the local chamber of commerce websites, ive found answers to some questions that i have listed down for myself & email them if you cant find it. Most chambers welcome questions ive found, if you tell them your planning to move to there county/district, as you will be adding to the local economy to improve it in your own way by living there.

I have found a little info here, but you need to do the hard yards yourself for the real answers.

Good luck on your quest & hope you find all the info your after.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Thank you AussieMale for your reply..Best of luck to you and your family on your move...I have done a lot of online research for a couple of years...I have local newspapers and last summer, after visiting Iron Mountain, I brought home a bunch of info from the chamber of commerce. I also registered at Michigan works, got local phone books, got applications..etc...The biggest question I have is...should I just sell my house and go? I know in the middle of winter probably isn't the time...as it might snow here in NC once a year ..if that..LOL...also..I am sure it doesn't "sound" wise...as I am a single mother of four...I honestly believe that there is "a place" for me and my 4 children in the UP...I talked to many people when I was in the UP...and asked them questions...on how they liked living there...and everyone was postive and friendly...and now I just need to keep praying and hopefully my dream will become reality...thanks again for your reply...Have a good new years day!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Hi Yooper at heart

It comes down to this $$$$$ & how much you have of it.
I have seen houses for less than $50k that you can move into, as there in good condition so the adverts say.
So if you were selling the house that you live in for say $250k & that went to your pocket then i would sell up make the move, maybe buy that house for $50k or less, maybe even rent as rent looks ok from what i have seen approx rent was $600.00 per month for 3/4 beds.
Dump the balance of your $$$$$ in the bank for some interest.Then look for any kinda job so it helps pay the bills & with the small amount of interest you get as well you try to make ends met if you can.
I say this as it appears to me in the UP if your already living there you have a better chance of finding a local job no matter what kind it maybe.
What i have said is what i will be doing, if i dont setup a business of some kind.

best of luck

Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM

AussieMale,
Thanks for the advice...I do agree with you...I know a lot of posts on other threads have said to have a "JOB" first...but I really think I need to sell and go...homes are very reasonable for the most part in the UP...and I think that unless I am already living there..."They" won't take me seriously and probably will think I won't stay...If "they" whomever that is...only knew my heart and how much I long to live there...then,,well ya know ( my time frame is to be in the UP around June)...BTW this is off the subject, but I just got to watch the tribute to Steve Irwin tonite with my kids.(made me cry)...we all love him and will miss him and I pray Terri and the kids are doing well...thought I would say that as I am sure You and your family loved him too....Thanks again for the info..Have a good day!

Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
I love da UP. Gorgeous place full of friendly people. On the one hand, I'd certainly be nervous myself about moving without a job. On the other hand, I know how reluctant many employers are to hire non-locals. It isn't that they like only locals, but employers tend to be understandably leery about hiring someone who doesn't live there.

Best wishes on your move! Keep us posted.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 AM

Hi Mark S.

Do you live in the UP..?

If one makes the move to a township ,there should be no reason for that person to be looked at as an outsider anymore i think.

I have been a employer for many years & i think i would give a new person in town a go, as that shows that they are keen for a job having moved there on the other hand with no job lined up.

The old saying is ( a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush ).
So if I was in need of new staff i would look for locals & new locals that just moved into the town, before looking at people wanting to move & have the job lined up first, but thats the way i think, as that person that has not moved yet may on the other hand get a better offer than the one that you gave them & leave you out in the cold.
I would only look outside the town if I couldnt find someone that was able to fill that position.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:55 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMale View Post
Hi Mark S.

Do you live in the UP..?
Nope. But I visited last year and fell in love with the place. You hiring?

We spent time around Marquette, Escanaba, and a few other places. Loved it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and the people were very friendly.

The only thing I had a hard time getting used to: I have lived my entire life west of the Mississippi, and I've been on the west coast almost 10 years now. While in da UP, it really kinda freaked me out to realize that I was in the same time zone as New York City.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 PM

Hi Mark S.

No im not hiring as im still living in Australia , but when we do make the move & after we have settled down & i have a feel for things. I will be looking at setting up some kind of business .

What kind of business i have no idea at this point. I plan to see if i can come up with some kind of business the townships dont have. The townships are Marinette WI & Menominee MI as i see them as one town altho its 2 different states.

They share the same chamber of commerce,so thats fine by me. Its called the tiwn cities because a river runs down the middle of them. They share the same airport & so on.

I understand the time zone thing it is kinda funny as Menominee is not on the same time zone, county line is where it changes, so if you dont want to live on NY time in the UP, pick living in Menominee county or follow the border between WI & MI as along it you have places live Iron Mountain & Ironwood that are not on the same time zone as NY, so it appears on my old maps/atlas i have of the area.

best of luck to you if your planning a move over that way

Old 01-17-2007, 06:15 PM

137 posts, read 532,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper at heart View Post
Hi everyone,
Happy New Year! I enjoyed reading all that torrid had said and the replies. I am originally from LM...born in Livonia. My parents live in the thumb...but as a young child I would often go to the porcupine mountains with my Dad. I few years ago, I realized how much I really love the UP...and how it is "in my blood" so to speak...I long to live there. I live in NC now...and last Christmas I visited Calumet and in the summer I was in Iron Mountain...I am a single Mom of 4...ages 7,8,10 and 12. I feel that moving to the UP would give my children a better life. I am very much into the outdoors...I love the lakes and trees and rocks and especially snow... the UP is probably the most friendly place I've been..I am prior air force and I have lived overseas...and I know I belong in the UP. Now, I know someone said you need to have a job before you move...but I had applied for VA jobs in Iron Mountain..that I was qualified for..and I was turned down...I have associates degree...I currently am a TA in special needs. I also work at the boys and girls club and I am a server at golden corral. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do...to make my dream of living in the UP come true? Also, are there any good, faithful, Christian men in the UP? I am sure that there are...and yes I have a "YOOPER" plate on my car
Hi again Yooper. I'm happy to hear you enjoy my thread. If it were just easy to make the move, huh? We are facing the same problem....Do we sell our house and HOPE for something in the U.P........Do we wait for something in the U.P. THEN sell......Do we just say screw it and let this house foreclose and hope to get one in the U.P. before this one goes on our credit LOL (yeah, this thought has crossed our minds lol.....That's how bad we want to move north)......none seems like a better option than the next. We're afraid to go one avenue and it be the wrong avenue. I surely do know how you feel. I say we form our own militia (lol, I was just reading the militia thread) and move into the hills of the Porcupine Mtns!! Good luck girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan