Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,366 times

Advertisements

Yes, Michigan is going down the tubes. I am a native and share in the depressing realities of the state's current problems. First off, how can we expect to be a strong state when our major city of Detroit is a sore spot in crime, attractiveness, and not to mention political corruption. The job market is so bad, unemployment numbers are much higher than what is reported in statistics. Remember statistics are reporting figures for persons who are collecting unemployment and do not include those who no longer qualify for benefits! Even college graduates have extremely difficult times finding jobs. Yes, you can snag a job that pays 8-12 dollars an hour, but anything more is a struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 PM

293 posts, read 849,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Moving isn't an option for everyone. For example, people who own houses they can't sell because they are no longer even worth what they owe on them or elderly parents that they cannot just up and leave.
There's also the fact that moving costs a lot of money. Even if you have a job lined up in advance (which is difficult, since many employers have little incentive to hire an employee from out of state when there are suitable local candidates) and are only looking to get into an apartment, you still have to have the money to pay deposits and first month's rent. That's to say nothing of renting a moving truck for your possessions - if you have a family and a house now, renting a big enough truck plus the gas to move is in the $2000 range. Even going on the most bare-bones and reckless plan, you still have to have gas and food money to get somewhere and pay for a hotel or extended-stay place until you get jobs.

We recently looked into moving out of state and figured we needed a few thousand dollars to cover moving truck rental, first month's rent and deposits - and that's *if* we had jobs lined up in advance and found a way to unload our house. Considering that most of us looking to leave MI want to do so because we're underemployed here, the odds of having that kind of money lying around are slim. If we had easy access to that kind of money then we probably wouldn't need to move in the first place, right? It seems like we're trapped because we need to get to a place with a better economy so we can get ahead, but it's really hard to even get to that place. I'll keep trying...maybe with any luck I'll eventually get a job offer somewhere or be able to save enough money to move.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 AM

62 posts, read 181,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
There's also the fact that moving costs a lot of money.

If we had easy access to that kind of money then we probably wouldn't need to move in the first place, right? It seems like we're trapped because we need to get to a place with a better economy so we can get ahead, but it's really hard to even get to that place. I'll keep trying...maybe with any luck I'll eventually get a job offer somewhere or be able to save enough money to move.
Exactly. People forget that abstract ideas in this situation really don't apply. Even if you have the cash, do you ruin your credit by walking away from your home? (cause if we could sell we certainly would !) It's something a lot of us are struggling with.

Also, with making 8-12$/hr how can anyone save anything substantial? I was able to find a job but now we are spending 140$/wk in just gas between the 2 of us. It's costing me 1/5 of my weekly salary to work due to costs. So factor in a low wage, costs to work and bills, groceries and that mortgage payment and how can anyone save a few thousand in a reasonable amount of time?

Caught is exactly the word. A lot of us are caught here.

We are committing 6mo here in MI till I finish my current degree (more debt) and then we're going to go from there. We know if we want to leave anytime before 5-8yrs we will likely have to walk away from our house though. It's not an easy situation. If it had an easy solution, we'd all be taking it !

Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,174 times
Default Where have all the ostrich's gone?

This time last year there were the idiots saying,"I see people in line to buy ice cream so things are fine"
I don't see so many people trying to tell you that 10+% unemployment isn't so bad.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of sympathy for those in Michigan.
I still have a brother and sister in law in Michigan. They can not sell their home, and did not listen to me last year when I told them to sell at what ever is a moving price now or you will wish you could get that this time next year. I think that fits again this year. I think the amount you can get this year will be what you wish for next year. I have even read articles about how people in Michigan are burning homes in hope of paying them off with insurance.
And to think we only have 6 months of bush, just think how much damage he can do in that time. A retard can do a lot of damage with that much power in that amount of time.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,288 times
This is my first post and I had to reply to "mynameiseral" comments. Where does one begin with such biased comments (and from a person who doesn't even live in the state)? My family have lived in MI for 20 years. We hope to leave due to the high taxes and ineptitude of Gov. Granholm's administration (now in it's sixth year), federal representatives (Senators Levin and Stabenow, etc.) and state legislators. My personal belief is MI's fault lies with the unions, auto makers senior mgt. and the government. Briefly, it seems most liberal politicians like to blame Pres. Bush for everything wrong, as indicated in the last posting. Last I knew the other 49 states aren't as bad as MI. If Bush has such control than everyone would be in the same position. Obviously he does not. Whatever happened to the word "ACCOUNTABILITY"? Since Granholm has been Gov., all she has done is blamed Bush for the state's failures. There hasn't been one major initiative. This sentiment was echoed in last Sunday's paper (near Detroit) in the editorial section. Sen. Stabenow, whose greatest achievement in 6 years was to rename an airport, ran on the same theme in 2004. Hey, if MI wants that kind of leadership, they can have it. Guess it's easier to blame others than to generate competent ideas. Lastly, I'm not Bush's greatest fan, but he has done some good. Currently with the liberal media bias against him, if he saved five people from a burning house, they would blame him for setting the fire. Lastly, "retard" is not a PC word. Mentally challenged is more appropriate and I would suggest mynameiseral look in the mirror and see the definition. I hope others (liberal or conservative) would espouse ideas more than 30 second sound bites with no substance.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
There's also the fact that moving costs a lot of money. Even if you have a job lined up in advance (which is difficult, since many employers have little incentive to hire an employee from out of state when there are suitable local candidates) and are only looking to get into an apartment, you still have to have the money to pay deposits and first month's rent. That's to say nothing of renting a moving truck for your possessions - if you have a family and a house now, renting a big enough truck plus the gas to move is in the $2000 range. Even going on the most bare-bones and reckless plan, you still have to have gas and food money to get somewhere and pay for a hotel or extended-stay place until you get jobs.

We recently looked into moving out of state and figured we needed a few thousand dollars to cover moving truck rental, first month's rent and deposits - and that's *if* we had jobs lined up in advance and found a way to unload our house. Considering that most of us looking to leave MI want to do so because we're underemployed here, the odds of having that kind of money lying around are slim. If we had easy access to that kind of money then we probably wouldn't need to move in the first place, right? It seems like we're trapped because we need to get to a place with a better economy so we can get ahead, but it's really hard to even get to that place. I'll keep trying...maybe with any luck I'll eventually get a job offer somewhere or be able to save enough money to move.
I can certainly see staying if that's one of the choices, but someone who plans to live on unemployment indefinitely versus going somewhere else to have a job to me isn't making a good choice.

It all depends on what you believe is going to happen, if you're laid off and you're quite certain that you'll be called back soon then of course stay. If you think it's bleaker than that then switch your line of work or go where there are jobs.

I know people who take the unemployment compensation for months and there's no more jobs when it runs out than before. Sitting around thinking somehow things will just go back to how they used to be doesn't seem the way to go, sometimes you have to make things happen. People relocate all the time.

I myself did -- a few times but not for the economy.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:47 AM

336 posts, read 908,462 times
[quote=ecn1991;4711550] Sen. Stabenow, whose greatest achievement in 6 years was to rename an airport, ran on the same theme in 2004. quote]

Actually, Sen. Stabenow was intrumental in keeping Canadian trash out of Michigan landfills. I think that was a pretty great achievement.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM

336 posts, read 908,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I can certainly see staying if that's one of the choices, but someone who plans to live on unemployment indefinitely versus going somewhere else to have a job to me isn't making a good choice.
How can anyone live on unemployment indefinitely? It's only good for 24 weeks. I'd love to go somewhere else to have a job, but my husband actually has a great paying job. We're not going to move out of state and risk both of us being unemployed. So we wait, until he can transfer somewhere that I can get a job too and in the meantime I apply everywhere that I even have the minimum qualifications. I'm so glad I got a bachelor's degree.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
How can anyone live on unemployment indefinitely? It's only good for 24 weeks. I'd love to go somewhere else to have a job, but my husband actually has a great paying job. We're not going to move out of state and risk both of us being unemployed. So we wait, until he can transfer somewhere that I can get a job too and in the meantime I apply everywhere that I even have the minimum qualifications. I'm so glad I got a bachelor's degree.
I'm not really referring to your situation because you're in one that has a variety of choices, waiting or sitting things out is one of your choices.

I mean someone who faces job loss, doesn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't have other means of income -- in my opinion, they need to stop thinking about it and just do it. Do it before it gets too late.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,288 times
Regarding Tricia819 comments, sorry you are wrong. Sen. Stabenow did very little if anything to actually curb Canadian trash being imported. Though she states she did (and actually it was the 2006 election, my mistake earlier). Every work day on Gratiot Ave. (near New Haven), Canadian trash semi-trucks are lined-up waiting to dump their load. I see this happening as I take that route to work. Due to unethical businesses, they import the trash and are likely to declare bankruptcy later. Then the government (i.e. the taxpayers) take it over. This is only one of the dumping sites. I'm sure there are others. There is another site near Port Huron that was abandoned. This goes along with why MI is going down the tubes. MI is the dumping ground for Ontario trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan