Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 PM

693 posts, read 2,251,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredNomad82 View Post
I'm not native to Michigan (or anywhere for that matter) but its where I've lived the past 9 years. I can't stand Granholm, or the Flint and Detroit mayors but everyone seems to put up with it or at least reelect.

not to throw things too off topic:
My husband is currently in a job interview with GM here in Michigan and he has another offer for a job in North Carolina. Today is decision day! I'm still fairly young and don't know these companies well, but GM still scares me.

People "put" up with it because they haven't seen Michigan in a better state of affairs for a long time. We continue to believe that things are getting "better" through introduction of small numbers of jobs that rarely become stable. My wife and I are at a cross-roads as well, considering the move, although it is daunting. If you don't own a home and have the opportunity to explore, then take it. If you conclude that things will be better for you in NC, I would advise not waiting around until GM workers strike again and cause further damage to the state. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 01:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,906,770 times
It will work out great for the liberals if you continue to bellyache about the economy. We are in a slump. But a recession? Not so sure about that. Just came back from Vegas, saw many, many Americans spending money everywhere and at inflated prices no less. I see many sports arenas still filled to capacity and people paying overinflated prices for food and drink there. Theme parks are still hopping. People are still driving. If it were that bad, I would hope that some of the frivilous spending would slow down. But if we let people in the media continue to speak gloom and doom, we will continue to believe it and it will (and has)spread like wildfire.

I say to Americans-you still have the greatest country in the world with opportunities for all that seek them. Speak and think positive and maybe we can turn this gloomy attitude around. What goes up MUST come down. Supply and demand will dictate that. The "when" is an issue, but it will happen.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 PM

865 posts, read 1,711,736 times
The country as a whole may be in a slump but Michigan is in a recession...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
We are in a slump. But a recession? Not so sure about that.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM

I do see some slacking. The housing market for sure, but that is how it is in alot of places. The auto industry? Yeah, well then MI just has to find other means. Speaking of means, too many people probably lived well above their means depending on the auto industry. I have faith that it will turn around. Like I mentioned, I still see people flocking to all the sporting events here. I was downtown at MGM and Greektown this weekend and it was packed. Lots of people betting and buying drinks. Maybe hoping for the "big win" but you have to spend to get the big win! (myself, I won 200 bucks!, doesn't happen often!)

Old 05-19-2008, 03:48 PM

955 posts, read 2,151,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
It seems like there are going to be no young people in the state at all (18-25 yrs) every one is either going to college in Michigan and then finding a job out of state. Or even just going to college out of state and never moving back.
This is a very distrurbing demographic. When you look at county statistics, there is a large dropoff of the people around age 21. They go to school here and then leave. The older demographic percentage then comes back up when people are 50 plus years old. And those stats are based on old census data.

My problem is the politicians mantra - green collar jobs will save Michigan. What the hell is a green job? And why would a company want to relocate or start in Michigan? Why is Michigan better suited than, say, California or North Carolina for a windmill plant?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
It will work out great for the liberals if you continue to bellyache about the economy. We are in a slump. But a recession? Not so sure about that. Just came back from Vegas, saw many, many Americans spending money everywhere and at inflated prices no less. I see many sports arenas still filled to capacity and people paying overinflated prices for food and drink there. Theme parks are still hopping. People are still driving. If it were that bad, I would hope that some of the frivilous spending would slow down. But if we let people in the media continue to speak gloom and doom, we will continue to believe it and it will (and has)spread like wildfire.

I say to Americans-you still have the greatest country in the world with opportunities for all that seek them. Speak and think positive and maybe we can turn this gloomy attitude around. What goes up MUST come down. Supply and demand will dictate that. The "when" is an issue, but it will happen.
This is the stupidest post I have ever read. "I see people spending"
Try real facts instead of this stupid people are still alive so there is not recession. I will give you a fact Mr. neocon. In three special elections in Republican strongholds YOU LOST ALL THREE. Try an original thought instead of vomiting back what you hear that idiot Limbaugh say.
If things are so good, why have places like 6 flags taken prices down?
Myrtle Beach traffic is down by 30%, the same number down in NOLA
Michigan is in and has been in a recession. You know no one spins crap in to cotton faster than a neocon. I can still remember them saying that the 06 elections were going to be a sweep. No any one who calls a spade a spade is a "bellyaching" and you say quit.
I say I will quit calling a spade a spade when you and your ilk quit lying about health care, oil, the economy, the war in Iraq. But it is in your blood and you can not help it. You neocons are like the cleptos cant stop steeling. you see a way to lie and you jump on it. Cigarettes are not bad, second hand smoke has never been proven to be dangerous, We are awash in oil, there is no global warming,the ozone layer is just fine,big business needs to have a free hand in what ever it wants to do because they really dont care about profits only people, social security is a fraud put on us by Roosevelt,Government should only protect the rich because they give jobs to the little people, The really sick part is that some of the poor actually buy into this crap. But I think the people are hurting bad enough this election to say ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP, and vote democrat. You know that Bush is not even a real neocon, these people look at hitler as left of the right a bit. You neocons are some of the most dangerous idiots on the planet, more dangerous then the people who want to kill us.
I hope this is an end to the neocons for many years.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:59 AM

Woweee, bozo!!! You are an angry little person aren't you?

First of all you do not know me, don't act like you do. Second of all I have never, ever listened to Limbaugh. Don't know his opinions, facts or anything else. Don't care. How do you know them if you think he is an idiot? Second of all don't know what a neocon is so...stuff that.

All I am saying is what I see and all the liberals freaking out with all their doom and gloom-the world is coming to an end booha. Poor me. Well, I say get off your butts and put back in to the system instead of spreading vicious crud about the society falling apart. It has been worse in America and we have survived. If you think that the world is falling apart then it is. But you don't have to spread it to people who may have a chance to make it a better place, instead of listening to doomsayers and believing them! That's crazy.

You vote for who you want-that is your right. Good luck surviving this horrible, horrible world we are in. And if it does fall apart, at least there will be some who spent those last days in a good mood instead of the angry, frustrated mood you live in.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 AM

Besides you should be happy that the doom and gloomers and spouting and people are listening-democrats will get more votes and then we can see the world shine again!

(BTW, you do not have to be so nasty-this is a public forum-if you don't like what is said, move on or respond with some dignity and respect-you are RUDE)

Old 05-20-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I didn't read any claim of knowing you. What's that supposed to mean? Because a person doesn't know you personally, they shouldn't draw conclusions based on what you said?

That sounds absolutely ridiculous. What does knowing you have to do with anything whatsoever?

He continually said things such as "you neocons" and "when you and your..."

(I would copy the quotes, but it always messes up).

Basically, I just made some comments that I believe as I am not a negative person-in an earlier post I wrote that I did see some issues-but I hate to bring down the world with it-and I got lambasted for being a Limbaugh neocon. Not true at all.

I suppose he is a liberal that just did not like my comment about them.

Sorry to ruffle anyone's feathers. Carry on with the doom

Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM

4,518 posts, read 4,063,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredNomad82 View Post
My husband and I are in our mid 20's and currently trying to get out of this state. It IS depressing. I don't understand the people that are moving here.
Because if you can get a job, its a great place to live, it has everything that you could want. The weather is nice and diverse. I'm in Tucson and I hate it because its ALWAYS hot and sunny. Yes its nice, but not every single day. Theres nothing you can do for free here. Even hiking requires a half hour drive and a permit. I go back to Port Huron, there are public beaches that are close and a dollar to park, you can put a small sailboat or kayak in and go wherever you like. You can walk around in a yard barefoot. The trees provide a lot of shade. Economy aside, Michigan is spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan