Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 AM

355 posts, read 1,227,650 times

Advertisements

I agree..unless you want to be bored out of your 20 year old mind...then don't move to Lansing. Ann arbor is the spot. They have the nightlife and MORE things to do such as eateries, club area, etc. Ann arbor reminds me a lot of Royal Oak except Ann arbor has more peope around your age. I should know, I graduated from Eastern in Ypsilanti, which is a like a couple of blocks from Ann Arbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,055,648 times
This is an old thread, but I felt like commenting anyway:

If you compare Ann Arbor and the east sides of the Lansing area (East Lansing/Okemos,) there isn't that much difference culturally except that 1) Ann Arbor is larger, and therefore has more things to do, and 2) Ann Arbor is a bit more intense/extreme with its progressive values, but they are still present in East Lansing to a certain extent. If this is your cup of tea, I'd recommend going to Ann Arbor.

The Lansing area is a bit like taking Ann Arbor, Flint, and small town Michigan, putting them in a blender, and then putting state government there as well. If you're more blue collar, but not completely blue collar, or if you like progressive values in small doses, Lansing might be a good choice.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,761,586 times
Quote:
Ann Arbor would be the better choice.
A previous post, which I would not agree with.
Well literally neither would be great choices ( my opinion) though if you had to select one then Lansing.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 PM

693 posts, read 2,251,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
A previous post, which I would not agree with.
Well literally neither would be great choices ( my opinion) though if you had to select one then Lansing.
There he is, the Ann Arbor basher himself!

Did you ever get a chance to visit Ann Arbor yet, or are you still relying on what "your friends" are telling you that "once went" there?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,160,137 times
Having lived in both, I have to say it depends on what you want. East Lansing is much better for the college/bar/party scene, if you're into that kind of things.

Ann Arbor is more upscale, more activities, nicer parks...but also more expensive.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 10,717,276 times
Ann Arbor is a nice town to visit, but the liberal politics are disgusting. Some of those people are so far left they cease to be Americans. Its too bad that its as wacky there as it is, because it is really a pretty town. Lansing area is more like regular Michigan, Ann Arbor is a piece of Massachusetts that broke off and drifted 900 miles west.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:15 AM

11 posts, read 35,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Some of those people are so far left they cease to be Americans.
What exactly do these people do to make you say that?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 AM

9,437 posts, read 10,717,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelaGuy View Post
What exactly do these people do to make you say that?

The town is overwhelmingly liberal and different from everything around it. For example they have a huge drug party called "hash bash" every year. Seems to me they should be going to jail, but the city does not stop it. You will find liberal protest signs displayed openly in the city, against the wars we fight, supporting the killing of unborn babies, pro homosexual displays, any liberal cause you can think of you will see it supported in Ann Arbor. It is the only place in Michigan I have ever seen to gays holding hands in the downtown streets of a city. The place is very different from the rest of Michigan, and frankly most of America. It is the college that brought all of these things into Ann Arbor, much of the really wacky stuff is likely comming from out of state students anyway.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,160,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Ann Arbor is a nice town to visit, but the liberal politics are disgusting. Some of those people are so far left they cease to be Americans. Its too bad that its as wacky there as it is, because it is really a pretty town. Lansing area is more like regular Michigan, Ann Arbor is a piece of Massachusetts that broke off and drifted 900 miles west.
That's exactly right....think small town midwestern San-Francisco (probably even more concentrated with ultra-libs here). It makes day to day life annoying.

That said, many parks, top notch services, great health care...and the restaurants are bar-none.

Whether the pros outweigh the cons is a totally personal choice I guess, but for me they did.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 35,135 times
Default Ceasing to be American is a tough charge

Danielj72, your list of liberal 'crimes' is sadly a weak case for people ceasing to be American. You're kind of like Glenn Beck and his habit of drawing lines between nursery school teachers and Stalin and Chairman Mao. The mere drawing mention of the association makes it true.

So is hash bash really that much different than any college party lubricated by drugs, legal or otherwise? I don't imagine that the overall drug consumption scene is on the whole that much different than any large campus in the U.S. And putting up signs for all kinds of liberal causes??? Oooh, the traitors! Makes me want to add them in the fine group of patriots like Tim McVeigh.

Anyway, you are clearly free to express your opinions on anything you want. You clearly don't like liberal politics. Some are with you, some are not. Nothing new there. But you should be ashamed of yourself for considering any citizen exercising their rights to freedom of expression as ceasing to be American. Your form of 'patriotism' (note the quotation marks) is exclusive rather than inclusive and it is destructive. I proudly consider every single zany, opinionated, lefty or righty citizen of Ann Arbor and of the State of Michigan and the entire country to be a fellow American and patriot.

Of you, sir, I have my doubts.

Last edited by XelaGuy; 06-10-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan