Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbh View Post
We do not make anything her. we are a 70% consumer nation. We started on cocaine and now we are on a street corner hitting crack.
We cannot be a consumer-only nation for long.

There's a reason China and Mexico wanted to take manufacturing from us, it is only a manufacturing industry that builds immense wealth for a nation.

We're quickly becoming a nation of store clerks selling foreign produced products to Americans on unemployment checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 AM

189 posts, read 704,707 times
Michigan will turn it around, hopefully sooner than later. We have such a pretty state, once the economy changes, people will wish they never left.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:44 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We cannot be a consumer-only nation for long.

There's a reason China and Mexico wanted to take manufacturing from us, it is only a manufacturing industry that builds immense wealth for a nation.

We're quickly becoming a nation of store clerks selling foreign produced products to Americans on unemployment checks.
Yeah, that.

It's scary. If we're not making something to sell to the world, we're in trouble. With the push to ethanol, I'm afraid we'll cut into the only thing we still export; food.

Something has to give here.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion11 View Post
Michigan will turn it around, hopefully sooner than later. We have such a pretty state, once the economy changes, people will wish they never left.
That will be later. The timing is right for the baby boomers to retire and start heading south about the time the national economy starts to turn around. As they put their houses up for sale and take their retirement checks and leave, we'll go into a second (or is that third) recession where health care and service industries are hit.

It's not looking good for Michigan.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8pyrz View Post
I know this argument well and although I see both sides, the fact remains that without living wages (ie union wages) the whole SE area of MI would be a wasteland. Who would buy those vehicles? Who would buy to keep the businesses going?

I agree some changes need to be made, but 14$/hr doesn't cut it to keep a mortgage, pay higher gas prices and look to have some sort of economic future. So are those jobs just stepping stones? To what then? Can we utilize an overabundance of engineers, lawyers and accountants? Aren't we facing that right now as it is?

Can the economy here drop to accomodate those lower wages? Where is the point of no return where we recognize that it benefits us all if living wages are a high priority for our fellow Americans?
Well, it's working on being a wasteland so where'd those high wages get us? If we'd never had those high wages, mortgage prices never would have risen to what they were and people wouldn't be upside down on mortgages now that jobs are drying up, people leaving the state and housing values falling. What good did those wages do except for the few who were smart enough to save what they made?

The only reason we're doing ok is that we never adopted the lifestyle to go with my wages. While I'll be into my 401K by the end of this year, at least I have it and I can surivive quite a few years on it. Many of my neighbors aren't so lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan