Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:03 PM

75 posts, read 275,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
That's what I thought! They're only $3.50 each here!
where's "here" jeeg if you don't mind me asking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
His point was they could sell for 14 dollars in AA, because there is generally the money there to pay for it.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:20 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7731 View Post
where's "here" jeeg if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry..... Marquette, Michigan. The north central U.P. on the Superior coast!

Guess I thought I was infamous enough that everyone knew where I live

Seriously, if you google Jean Kay's Pasties, you'll see where I like to get mine. They're made with real steak instead of the ground beef most imitators use (yuck!).
(the site has pictures of them too!)

Old 06-13-2008, 06:37 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
That's how I make them too, jeeg. I usually start with round steak.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry..... Marquette, Michigan. The north central U.P. on the Superior coast!

Guess I thought I was infamous enough that everyone knew where I live

Seriously, if you google Jean Kay's Pasties, you'll see where I like to get mine. They're made with real steak instead of the ground beef most imitators use (yuck!).
(the site has pictures of them too!)
ok, sorry jeeg... LOL... i'm new to this forum.
LOVE marquette!! raised in the garden penninsula... left for a short time (like 5 years), then back to manistique area. i then moved to gwinn to finish school at northern. i miss it like crazy, but scared to make the move. i'm civil service now (after trying to get this job for 2 years!!), and am afraid to leave... but i would love to move back to michigan.

when i lived there, i usually got my pasties from friends who made them LOL, and then when i started traveling, i would buy them at the bridge (on the st. ignace side). suzy's pasties? i think it's still there. i would love for someone to post a good recipe for pasties so i can learn to make them myself!!! <hint hint>

Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 PM

104 posts, read 417,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
His point was they could sell for 14 dollars in AA, because there is generally the money there to pay for it.
That, and a prevailing attitude in Ann Arbor, is why find a bargain when I can pay top dollar....For those unfamiliar with this area, the $14.00 comment was a reference to Zingerman's Deli in the Kerrytown area. I'll admit they do have good sandwiches, and have a lot of meat/toppings, but many of their large sandwiches are around $13-$14, and the deli generally has a long line of people waiting to pay that much. So, that was the logic behind the comment of charging $14.00 for a $4.00 pasty.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 PM

104 posts, read 417,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I'm thinking you, your MIL, and I need to go into the pasty making business. Maybe we could get the pasty concession for The Big House. Let's see 87,000 pasties at $14.00 per times 15 home games..... I think it might push me into a higher tax bracket!
Good idea....Too bad that most of the students at any of the games have NO IDEA what a pasty is. My MIL uses fresh sliced round steak as well, and loads them with onion, potato, and rutabaga....absolutely love them....have to have ketchup (weird maybe, but I generally don't like ketchup on ANYTHING), and wash it down with an Orange Faygo! THAT'S IT!!! Time to hit up my MIL for some fresh homemade pasties. She also likes to make a lot of them, and freeze a few. I know they're not as good reheated from frozen, but when ya gotta have that pasty fix, it will do in a pinch!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:04 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7731 View Post
i would love for someone to post a good recipe for pasties so i can learn to make them myself!!! <hint hint>
Simply google "Yooper pasty" and the first site that pops up will be a bunch of native recipes I've never tried them because we are oddballs and rarely eat anything with meat (call ourselves quasi-vegetarians) so the rare times we do, we're happy to buy them prepared for us!

(as mentioned above..... the truly good ones are made with some form of steak, NOT ground beef <yuck> )

Old 06-14-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Simply google "Yooper pasty" and the first site that pops up will be a bunch of native recipes I've never tried them because we are oddballs and rarely eat anything with meat (call ourselves quasi-vegetarians) so the rare times we do, we're happy to buy them prepared for us!

(as mentioned above..... the truly good ones are made with some form of steak, NOT ground beef <yuck> )

thanks!! i'm going to try that out!

Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 PM

HOLY MOLY!!! i just checked online for pasties. well, they are a good price at 3.50/each. but shipping? This is for SIX pasties!!!!!!!! (at $21.00)

Enter ship-to ZIP Code:Shipping

Shipping and Handling to 31069 (change):$69.95

Total with Shipping:$90.95 USD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan