Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:39 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,631 times

Advertisements

all the complaints about cloudy gray days in Michigan. I have lived here all my life and I remember more sunny days than cloudy ones.

Maybe because I dont expect it to be sunny 365 days a year?

Maybe because rain and snow come with living in Michigan?

Maybe because they just dont bother me.....I honestly dont remember THAT many cloudy days'

Cloudy days dont stop me from sking or snowshoing or working out in the garden or canoing or camping or riding the ATV.........

We NEED rain, I dont complain when it rains......

Gray clouds when it snows is to be expected, but I remember many many bright sunny days in Winter.....

I guess it depends on what kind of person you are and what you let effect you......I just dont see it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I think some of it is because of this recent harsh winter. Between November and February I can count four days of sunshine or blue sky. That's an amazingly low amount. I like winter, but even that got to me this year.

Aside from that, I don't think cloudiness is that bad. But it could be my perception. Does anyone know the cloud to sun ratio in MI?

Old 06-03-2008, 04:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Depends on what month you're talking about. November is usually gloomy. October and December can be. What bugs me about livingi in Michigan is that winter is so long. I swear it's winter in November and spring doesn't get here until May. We seem to get two months of spring, two months of summer, two months of fall and 6 months of winter.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
This Winter has been very long and HARD, thats why people are SO HAPPY to see warm and SUN. No matter where you live someone will complain, heck even I complain, so what. I like everything BUT the winter here... thats because I have arthritis, and it kills in the Winter.
I love the Sun and its been a Fact ( they had a thing on the News) that we did not get a LOT/enough of Sun this past Winter....which in turn made People feel gloomy and yucky. ( Myself included and also my Son)
Ive been in Michigan for 14 Years and love 3 out of 4 Seasons.

not everyone can go out and *play* in the Snow, be it for Money, or because of body Pain. So for somone who is *stuck* here in Michigan , the Winters here can be VERY depressing .

Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times
I'm just wondering something. Have you ever lived anywhere else but Michigan? Your views always seem very one-sided. This is not the first time you've posted about how you don't "get" anyone that doesn't just absolutely worship and LOVE the grey, frigid cold and snow. Guess what? It's NOT all that to some people.

I'm from Texas. I don't like cold, grey skies OR snow, particularly. I don't GET people who do. I agree with the previous poster that winters can be very depressing. You don't have to "get" why we feel that way. We feel that there is more to life than 6 months of winter and shoveling snow.

With all that being said, I'm glad to have experienced a REAL winter. We DID have fun many days. The kids loved sledding and making snowmen, etc. I just don't think I could do it for the rest of my life. It's not *that* fun, to me. I'll take the pool or the beach any day over snow and slush and cloudy skies. If you think that makes me weird or crazy, then so be it.

Last edited by khfar; 06-03-2008 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I'm just wondering something. Have you ever lived anywhere else but Michigan? Your views always seem very one-sided. This is not the first time you've posted about how you don't "get" anyone that doesn't just absolutely worship and LOVE the grey, frigid cold and snow. Guess what? It's NOT all that to some people.

I'm from Texas. I don't like cold, grey skies OR snow, particularly. I don't GET people who do. I agree with the previous poster that winters can be very depressing. You don't have to "get" why we feel that way. We know that there is more to life than 6 months of winter and shoveling snow.

With all that being said, I'm glad to have experienced a REAL winter. We DID have fun many days. The kids loved sledding and making snowmen, etc. I just don't think I could do it for the rest of my life. It's not *that* fun, to me. I'll take the pool or the beach any day over snow and slush and cloudy skies. If you think that makes me weird or crazy, then so be it.
Great answer. I myself have yet to live anywhere else. I do complain about the grayness and the long, cold, dreary winters can get me down. I am not into snow sports so that doesn't help. That being said, I am on the move to Vegas for my husbands job, don't have a choice, so I will definitely be able to have something to compare it to. Who knows, I will probably be dying to see clouds and rain! It won't be forever (unless we fall in love with the desert life, but I will miss my family too much)so that makes it easier to swallow. I guess it is an adventure.

Tried to give you reps for that but I guess I like your posts because I have to spread some more around before I can give you anymore.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:24 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
exactly... I agree 100% with ja khfar !

Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Great answer. I myself have yet to live anywhere else. I do complain about the grayness and the long, cold, dreary winters can get me down. I am not into snow sports so that doesn't help. That being said, I am on the move to Vegas for my husbands job, don't have a choice, so I will definitely be able to have something to compare it to. Who knows, I will probably be dying to see clouds and rain! It won't be forever (unless we fall in love with the desert life, but I will miss my family too much)so that makes it easier to swallow. I guess it is an adventure.

Tried to give you reps for that but I guess I like your posts because I have to spread some more around before I can give you anymore.
I totally know how you feel right now! We left our family and friends to move here. It is hard, but once you get involved in some things and find people you like, it gets a lot easier. We look upon living in MI as an adventure, as well. We know we aren't here permanently, but we want to make the best of it while we ARE here.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:03 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
I think some people don't like the weather in Michigan because they just don't like weather in Michigan. As Kfar said she (I think I remember your a woman) that she came from another state and didn't grow up in the Michigan's or similar environment. Also If I remember correct Kfar came tho MI because her husband got a job in MI. So it wasn't like she was dying to come to MI. in the first place.
But as for some others that have lived in MI their entire life I think there are two overriding reasons why they hate the weather. 1. would be that they never been in another environment for any length of time. So some will base their opinions on the weather what just thing they've either heard or base it on a very short stay in a particular area. 2. You be surprised how much you personal circumstances can affect your view of where your living. Right now quite a few people are hurt'in with there financial situations. Now that might not seem related to weather but if one is in dire straits in some aspects of your life I believe it will effect your view of the weather as well along with many other things. The Psychology of it is that if things are going bad for you or you just don't see opportunity in a certain place where you live. You start to feel trapped in that place. This leads to negative thoughts and eventually a negative view of a lot things about the place you live.
Now I do believe it a good thing for most people to leave there home state for a while and to explore the rest of the country and to absorb/learn about both cultures and feel new environments. At least at that time they can make a comparison of where they once lived and where they are currently.

To be honest I used to be down on my birth state until I left a couple of years ago. Now I can't wait to get back. I miss the culture and I miss the environment there. I think some people will feel the same way in MI case. But that not to say that some won't and will stay out of MI for the rest of their lives.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I think some of it is because of this recent harsh winter. Between November and February I can count four days of sunshine or blue sky. That's an amazingly low amount. I like winter, but even that got to me this year
Huh? There were 9 days alone in November that were all sunny or partly sunny.
History : Weather Underground

3 days in December:

2 in January:

6 in February:

Thats 21 days right there. However, I would agree that that is pretty bad indeed! Also, whats shown on the weather history calender reflects the bad, not the good. For instance, here in IL it would be sunny 1/2 the day in winter, then a storm would move in and we'd get snow, and the calender would show a snowflake, rather than sunshine. So in all reality, there were probably many more days of sunshine in MI that were overshadowed by some late flurries, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: