Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,137 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm moving to Marquette in a couple of weeks and I'm trying to find an apartment to live in. I'm only 24 and my standards are average to moderately low.

I haven't been to the city yet, but in comparsion to the University, which side is better to live on? I'm seeing the majority of the places on the North, South, and East.

Any comments would be great. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Well..... once you get here you'll see there isn't really a "good" side or "wrong" side.
The areas closest to the University tend to be a bit pricier. There's a residential area south of US41 that is a bit more working class and cheaper but it's not a "bad" area at all.
There is no place in Marquette that I would be uncomfortable walking at 3am.

If you won't be using a car to get around, then you'll want to stick with the north or east side. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:22 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Get a bike. This is the place, everyone has at least 2. Stay off 41 however ! jeeg is right, the east-north side of town is best for walking and biking. The lake shore is a beautiful area to hang.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:29 AM

75 posts, read 275,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Well..... once you get here you'll see there isn't really a "good" side or "wrong" side.
The areas closest to the University tend to be a bit pricier. There's a residential area south of US41 that is a bit more working class and cheaper but it's not a "bad" area at all.
There is no place in Marquette that I would be uncomfortable walking at 3am.

If you won't be using a car to get around, then you'll want to stick with the north or east side. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.
oh how i miss marquette!! i lived in gwinn in 1994 while finishing my degree at NMU, the rent was very reasonable (about 350/mo). how is the rent these days?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:00 PM

760 posts, read 2,441,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7731 View Post
oh how i miss marquette!! i lived in gwinn in 1994 while finishing my degree at NMU, the rent was very reasonable (about 350/mo). how is the rent these days?
The town of Gwinn or the base?? The town of Gwinn I have no idea. The base is anywhere from $350 - $450 (Torrid can correct me if I'm wrong). The city of Marquette..... it really depends on what size you're looking at. The last house we rented in the city was three blocks from the college, 3-4 bedrooms (one was a walk through), had all utilities included and was $1000 a month. And it was not a very nice place!! We only took it because we were short on time (wife was due to deliver baby #2 soon) and we had to find a place that would let us have our large dog.
Our current place we're renting while looking to buy is a nice 3 bedroom, on 17 acres, about a mile and a half s.w. of Marquette Mountain as the crow flies, and is $800 a month (no utilities included).

Old 06-25-2008, 09:16 PM

I am renting while building my house , ( near 41 & 553 ). rents around this area for new , or newer units run 1200 to 1500 for a 2 bedroom condo. very handy area to town and shopping. US 41 is a very busy road. Marquette needs a bypass for thru traffic , but , will be a long time coming, if ever.. there are homes for rent on 41 , but , I would not recommend because of the traffic.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM

137 posts, read 532,538 times
Yeap, the rents on base average $350-$450ish. I pay $400 for a single family, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath home. You could also clearly buy one for a mortgage less than that....I know of 2 people who bought duplexes, turned them into 1 family homes and pay about $220 a month for the mortgage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
The town of Gwinn or the base?? The town of Gwinn I have no idea. The base is anywhere from $350 - $450 (Torrid can correct me if I'm wrong). The city of Marquette..... it really depends on what size you're looking at. The last house we rented in the city was three blocks from the college, 3-4 bedrooms (one was a walk through), had all utilities included and was $1000 a month. And it was not a very nice place!! We only took it because we were short on time (wife was due to deliver baby #2 soon) and we had to find a place that would let us have our large dog.
Our current place we're renting while looking to buy is a nice 3 bedroom, on 17 acres, about a mile and a half s.w. of Marquette Mountain as the crow flies, and is $800 a month (no utilities included).

Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM

I would think living at the Airport ,even thou rents are cheap, that the commute cost , with 5.00 a gal fuel, would offset somewhat the savings. Got to be 20 miles from Marquette. Gwinn , no better, however there are some quaint places back in the woods.
If I were young ( again ) , I would look for a place near the lake shore ( Marquette's greatest asset ), and close to all the action.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
live on the east side. Very nice for all things--food, rec, and cocktails. Ride my bike to work also.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Marquette needs a bypass for thru traffic , but , will be a long time coming, if ever
PLEASE don't ever bring this idea up again. Marquette has a bypass. It's usually pretty empty. A highway to go around the highway to go around downtown is just a disaster of an idea.

If you actually think 41 has a lot of traffic, i implore you to live in a city for a few months. You will soon realize 41 flows blissfully well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan