Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,511 times

Advertisements

We are relocating for a job, could members on the forum please recommend apartments to rent with rates and neighborhood information in Midland. The job is in Saginaw but I hear Midland is a better area to live. How are Freeland, Mt. Pleasant and Bay City apartments? Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,172 times
I live in Midland so I'll try to help. There's a lot of apartments, and good neigborhoods, I'll mention the ones I like. To start out there's Mulberry lanes on Abbot rd., last time I checked they were $550 for a two bedroom. Drive down Eastman rd, and Saginaw rd, those are the two main roads in Midland. That will give you an idea what it's like. Near the hospital and mall there are really nice neigborhood's. Look at the Oakfield drive area off Eastman road. It's near a yellow party store, called Eastman party store. The northern part of Midland tends to have newer houses.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:30 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Just get an apartment somewhere in Saginaw Twnshp. Unless you LIKE spending over 4 bucks a gallon for gas. It's a very family-friendly area and has everything you would need if that is a concern to you.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 6,184 times
Default Moving to Midland

Hello there...We are going to be moving to Midland in the spring and could someone tell me how the people are there... Are they open or close minded and how are they with new comers? I realize there is bad everywhere but where we are now the town is full of close minded negative people. It is hard to be happy when everyone around is out to get their neighbor! I would appreciate a response. thank you.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs1964 View Post
Hello there...We are going to be moving to Midland in the spring and could someone tell me how the people are there... Are they open or close minded and how are they with new comers? I realize there is bad everywhere but where we are now the town is full of close minded negative people. It is hard to be happy when everyone around is out to get their neighbor! I would appreciate a response. thank you.
I am 35 mies north. Midland is a good place. Like most places, people are busy with their own lives. You will like it.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:43 PM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs1964 View Post
Overall it's a good place.

But many places can seem perfect and quaint on the outside. Every place has its bad apples though. I was going from the hospital where I work to get something to eat at lunch the other day and at the corner was a man carrying around a large American flag, dressed in full KKK apparel. He was walking back and forth on the sidewalk shouting his distorted views to motorists. He was also carrying a concealed weapon. This was the day after the election. I felt sick to my stomach.

The good thing is he was all alone and didn't have any others with him. The bad thing is you know if there's one then there has to be more somewhere.

This isn't indicative of the city as a whole, but be forewarned, no place is ever perfect.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 AM

12 posts, read 56,810 times
In response to the KKK person who was walking the corner of Saginaw & Eastman. Yes that did happen and there are KKK everywhere, in every city. That was the first incident since I've been living here regarding the KKK group. Just like the KKK, you will find gangs and other groups out there in every city/town you come across - no matter how big or small. I've seen alot growing up and I've lived many places within MI so I know what kinds of things go on within any city.

I'm from Midland and I would rather live here than any other town/city I've lived in lower MI. I would not want to live in Saginaw at all. I have family there and there are always shootings and other things going on that I would rather not expose my family too. My brother went to the Saginaw Mall and there was a gang shootout. That was a while ago - but still, I don't think it's a safe city to live in.

I know that every city has it's ups and downs but I would rather live here than anywhere else in lower MI.

I have a Friend who lives in Freeland and loves it. Small but closer to Saginaw. I don't know the name, but there are apartments right across and near the High School. There are also apartments near McDonalds area (they are Red). She loves Freeland and never plans to move. Freeland is only about 10 min. or so from Saginaw whereas Midland is about 20-25 or so, depending on where you need to go.

Good luck in your apartment search. Have a wonderful day!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMom View Post
In response to the KKK person who was walking the corner of Saginaw & Eastman. Yes that did happen and there are KKK everywhere, in every city. That was the first incident since I've been living here regarding the KKK group. Just like the KKK, you will find gangs and other groups out there in every city/town you come across - no matter how big or small. I've seen alot growing up and I've lived many places within MI so I know what kinds of things go on within any city.

I'm from Midland and I would rather live here than any other town/city I've lived in lower MI. I would not want to live in Saginaw at all. I have family there and there are always shootings and other things going on that I would rather not expose my family too. My brother went to the Saginaw Mall and there was a gang shootout. That was a while ago - but still, I don't think it's a safe city to live in.

I know that every city has it's ups and downs but I would rather live here than anywhere else in lower MI.

I have a Friend who lives in Freeland and loves it. Small but closer to Saginaw. I don't know the name, but there are apartments right across and near the High School. There are also apartments near McDonalds area (they are Red). She loves Freeland and never plans to move. Freeland is only about 10 min. or so from Saginaw whereas Midland is about 20-25 or so, depending on where you need to go.

Good luck in your apartment search. Have a wonderful day!
Welcome JeepMom!!! You are 100% correct. I would like to ad this on the FEW KKK incidents around Midland. There are a few local forums. Each time this type of thing happens, the KKK and all involved get ALL VERY negative feed back.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 AM

39 posts, read 128,071 times
Midland is definitely a good choice but a bit of a drive. Mt. Pleasant is another 30-40 minutes so I wouldn't recommend that. Freeland is a small town and a decent place to live with good school system. A lot of folks who work in Midland make the communte from Freeland. Freeland to Sagainaw wouldn't be a bad drive at all. Bay City is OK but I'd put Freeland/Midland way ahead if I had to choose. Don't know your income situation but there are some fairly new apartments by the soccer fields/mall area in Midland. I believe they were originally set up for lower income folks but that may not be true any longer. Even so, they are well maintained and in a good area; you'd have easy access to US-10. Midland has a lot to offer for a town of its size.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 PM

22 posts, read 87,321 times
My boyfriend and his family live in Freeland (actually titawabassee township) and they really seem to like it there, both of his parents commute to saginaw for work. Freeland is small and quiet. They say that saginaw township is a good place to live too for a close commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan