U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,904 times

Advertisements

I am dealing with a vengeful, and possibly crazy ex-tenant.
This person lived in my home for only 7 months, and was my very first tenant. I'd had the upstairs of my home redone, and it made a nice space for a rental. So, I placed the ad, found the tenant, ran the background check, and collected the security deposit of $350, and had the tenant sign a lease and complete the move-in checklist.

In the time the tenant lived in my home, he:
-Left open bags of trash outside, which animals got into and scattered all over the yard (I'd warned him about this, too!)
-Let my indoor cats outside (even after being directed not to), and they all got fleas, which was an expensive problem to fix
-Broke my screen door
-Put a hole in his bathroom wall (which he claimed he cannot remember causing)
-Damaged the brand new carpet
-Ripped up floor tiles
-Broke the shower door
-Took poor care of the toilet, it had never been cleaned during his tenancy, and didn't run quite right
-and, left a layer of scum on every surface of the bathroom, which had to be scrubbed off with heavy duty cleansers
-My home is for sale, and he ended up deterring a possibly buyer because he didn't want "his" room shown. He said he didn't have enough "notice," but the for sale sign had been in the yard for 5 days.

On the last day of his lease, he came up to me at 7 pm to see if he could extend his lease another couple of weeks. I said no, as I had another person moving in that weekend. He then said he'd be out by the weekend. However, for the next couple of days he wasn't around, and not reachable by his cell phone (and his voice mail box was full, so I could not leave a message for him). So, he ended up staying 3 days past his lease, and moved out WHILE my new tenant was moving in. Very tacky, don't you agree?

The ex-tenant sent me an email saying he is not accepting the partial security deposit because he got it a day past the 30 day deadline (he also never returned the move out checklist, and says he is entitled to request double the security deposit amount from me! And told me I had to send the money. The email was very harassing, and in a bullying tone. I attempted to respond to him, but he has blocked my email address.
I mentioned above that he is possibly crazy. I say that, because he believed there was a vortex in the upstairs of my home, and he also belives in the paranormal, and fairies, etc. he had emailed me in the past asking if I'd seen them. I have saved all of these emails.

I know I probably have nothing to worry about with this guy, but the whole situation is still bothersome.
Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM

98 posts, read 211,111 times
I am realy sorry to hear of all this you went through.

I don't have a lot of advice but I do know that by law, if your security deposit was not returned within 30 days of moving out you are in fact entitled to double the security deposit amount. I know, that's probably the last thing you want to hear. I used to work for an apartment complex and this was a little known fact - and we missed the 30 day deadline and had to pay Only once though b/c most people do not know this.

My advice is, this guy does sound a little crazy and if you can afford it, give him his money - or at least refund the whole amount ($350) and see if that settles it. It's not fair at all but he does know where you live and he sounds crazy enough to stop by looking for his money.

Sorry I don't have any uplifting advice. Be careful who you rent to b/c there are some weird ones out there.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM

79 posts, read 291,053 times
I have to say that I agree. I would rather pay a tenant to go away than risk courts, etc. That will just end up being more expensive.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM

123 posts, read 336,979 times
I am sorry you are having issues. A few thoughts and questions. Why did you wait so long to send the refund? If he did damage then why did you refund what you did? I am not sure about that double back but I would maybe call a lawyer who deals with this. Did you have the money in an escrow account? I hope so cause I think you can have issues with that too. I wish I had more advice. I hate conflict.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:44 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,863,560 times
You are entitled to be paid for the days he stayed past his lease termination. As long as you sent an itemization of the expenses incurred to get the apartment cleaned and rented again, as well as the per diem for each day he stayed, it should be substantial. The 30 days is a problem though. Did he leave a valid forwarding address? That is crucial on his part. You can contact your local/county housing authority for further advice; they are good on what the landlord/tenant rights are. You might even be able to find it under the state attorney general website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan