Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
Yes, I was referring to Campus Court at Knollwood. I don't think you're mean for calling the cops/landlord I would have done the same thing. I would expect being so close to the campus you would have kids partying. However, is it a big problem? Does Kzoo have a noise ordanance?

It's been awhile since I've shopped for apartments. I wish we could move straight into a house since rent is just as much (if not more) than a house payment.
Forest Hills are townhomes-so they have the feel more of a house....

I moved from the "student ghetto" where partying is very much expected-i lived in the townhouse for two years and only later in my second year did these peoplemove right next door-it was during the weeknights that they thought partying wasok...it wasn't! i was in the middle of my student teaching so i was going to bed early and was a bit crabby there were two families that lived in the same row as we did...they were very friendly too!

the townhouses are very nice!!

and yes Kzoo does have a noise ordinance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 02:07 PM

218 posts, read 507,753 times
In the long run I don't a family with young kids will like Candlewyck. It will be noisy, and parking can be difficult in certain areas.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM

845 posts, read 3,270,532 times
You might also consider renting a home... there are some great deals out there if you just poke around. People here are full of opinions about which neighborhoods are nice.... there are plenty to choose from.

As for passing up the promise.... can anyone really afford to? I agree with you.. the cost of college is growing at double the historical rate of inflation.... the promise is a life-changing opportunity for you, don't pass it up.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:56 AM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
How is Clinton Ave? Someone said in an earlier post to stay away from the north side and the east side. The house I looks like it's on the south east side of Kalamazoo. Is this a nice area? Which elementary school would a child living in this area have to go to? It looks like Washington Elementary, but Parkwood-Upjohn is close by too.

Last edited by Tricia819; 07-20-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM

218 posts, read 507,753 times
Clinton Ave. sucks. Its in the Edison neighborhood. Which in the daytime it might seem OK, but wait until nighttime..that when all the freaks and hoods come out to play.

Washington Writers Academy is a low income, minority elementary school.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
Clinton Ave. sucks. Its in the Edison neighborhood. Which in the daytime it might seem OK, but wait until nighttime..that when all the freaks and hoods come out to play.

the way you say "low income, minority elementary school" gives the wrong message maybe you meant nothing by it?-i did some pre-internships at WWA and found it to be a great school environment-it is a very historic building and the teachers were fantastic! of course you have minorities at the school-but in all schools in Kzoo there will be minorities what is wrong with that? there are low income students in many of the schools too-what's the big deal? I was there workign on an "oral history" project with the fourth graders-so that shows that there are many partnerships with Western=more opportunities and cool projects..........

Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,352 times
Minorities in Michigan? How dare they invade the southwestern area of the state. (sarcasm)

Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 PM

89 posts, read 336,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post

Hey, I attended that school over fifty years ago and it was an historical building then, known just as Washington Elementary. Guess I don't understand what Writers Academy is suppose to mean.

In regards to the Edison neighborhood. Yes it has changed since I grew up there, but nothing stays the same. I do a meals-on-wheels route there every week and there are a lot of very nice people, some still living in the same house for over fifty years. I think a lot of the problems are rental units where the people have no stake in the neighborhood. Anyway that's what one of the seniors that gets meals told me. She's in her 80's and walks several blocks to the monthly Edison neighborhood meetings. They are a group of people who really care about the plight of the area and are doing good things.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsquirter View Post
Hey, I attended that school over fifty years ago and it was an historical building then, known just as Washington Elementary. Guess I don't understand what Writers Academy is suppose to mean.
Washington Writers Academy is one of the magnet schools with the focus obviously being on writing-the school has a "publishers house" where they have a book binder and kids get to "publish" their books they write...i think the magnet schools in Kzoo Public schools are fantastic-there is nothing like it out east! I was lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time in a few of them! including my full internship at Spring Valley Center for Exploration

Magnet Schools (337-1129) - Home (http://www.kalamazoopublicschools.com/education/dept/dept.php?sectionid=52 - broken link)

Old 07-24-2008, 12:53 PM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Default From a good neighborhood in a bad city to a bad neighborhood in a good city.

So, I've completely fallen in love with a house in the Edison neighborhood. Can anyone tell me if all of Edison is pretty seedy or are there parts of it that are better than others?

I guess what I'm asking is, can anyone tell me how a bad neighborhood in Kalamazoo compares to a good neighborhood in Flint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan