Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:14 PM

63 posts, read 182,925 times

Advertisements

Hey

I was just wondering if anyone out there is having luck finding teaching jobs in Michigan. I live in Traverse City and cant find anything up there. It seems like if there is a opening you have to know somebody to get an interview or have went to that school yourself.
I just accepted a 7th grade teaching position in Greenville South Carolina, it seems like a nice place but I kind of hating moving from Mich. My sister just moved to North Carolina yesterday for a teaching job.
Well I was just wondering how everybody else was fairing and if anyone had any advice or opinions on the matter.

Good luck to all of you out there.
Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,475 times
Default Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1231 View Post
Hey

I was just wondering if anyone out there is having luck finding teaching jobs in Michigan. I live in Traverse City and cant find anything up there. It seems like if there is a opening you have to know somebody to get an interview or have went to that school yourself.
I just accepted a 7th grade teaching position in Greenville South Carolina, it seems like a nice place but I kind of hating moving from Mich. My sister just moved to North Carolina yesterday for a teaching job.
Well I was just wondering how everybody else was fairing and if anyone had any advice or opinions on the matter.

Good luck to all of you out there.
Phil

Even though there isn't a huge influx of new college grads in this field, you'll definatley want to find areas of the country where residents actually give to their communities through tax increases. One of my closest friends accepted a teaching position in Virginia, but it was interesting the city he will be working in is small, like many Michiagn cities but the residents care about the school system. Your doing the right thing, good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:24 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
I'm in Southeastern Michigan and will be getting my MAT in August. I got one interview because I knew someone, but they're still interviewing so I'm guessing I'm not exactly what they want and I have another interview I got through a posting on line on Thursday with a district that did major buy outs this past year.

I think we're going to see more and more districts offering buy outs to teachers making $75K+ so they can hire new teachers starting under $40K in the next few years. We saw a slow down in retirements in the past few years and that's left districts top heavy in a day and age when they need to cut budgets. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have a teacher shortage here in 3-5 years. Unfortunately, right now, it's a tough market.

Good luck. My step son moved to South Carolina for a job back in the early 90's and never came back. He loves it down there. When I've visited, I've noticed that the people are friendlier than here in Michigan where we spend half the year holed up inside trying to keep warm. Hopefully, you'll like it there. I'm stuck here because of my husband's job. While I could find a teaching job elsewhere, he can't find work somewhere else (he's too close to retirement). So, hopefully, I'll get one of the two positions I have/will be interviewing for.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM

713 posts, read 1,956,961 times
Does the Carolina's have teaching unions? I heard they do not pay well. And without a teacher's union... I doubt teachers will ever see a rise in pay. From what I have heard, MI has a teacher union and is one of the top paid. Michigan is also one of the hardest states to get a teaching position. I know a person who tried to get PE position near Flint and there was 177 applicants and she made the top 5. Yet, they gave to a long term sub who had been teaching in the school system... so perhaps if you want to stay in MI subbing/and getting to know the school administration seems to be the only way to get a job in MI.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:55 PM

37 posts, read 123,438 times
I am moving to NC on saturday for a teaching job, along with 4 other people I know. My mom works for the school in SE MI and has many friends in districts with administrative/HR titles - - in these times knowing people doesn't even help. It may get you in for an interview, but if they have someone who was pink slipped that is qualified they have to give them the job first. Schools are pink slipping 7+ year teachers, us "new graduates" don't have a chance. Especially when a school gets 1400 applicants for an elementary position, are you kidding?! I am a chemistry major and was told math and science was definitely in need when I started, a friend of mine applied for a Chemistry position in Rochester along with 98 other applicants.

As for the pay in NC, it is in the low $30k, but A) the cost of living is slightly lower, espcially in rural areas B) it is a job and you are not sitting around wasting a degree you worked so hard for and spent so much money on getting C) benefits are not great for families, but the employees benefits are covered, so if you are young and starting off on your own it is a perfectly good place to get some experience

Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
i moved to maryland where they were begging for teachers! i loved getting experience right off the bat-but could not handle the school district for longer than two years-pay was great-high 30's and low 40's for first year teachers-but being right outside DC the cost of living was RIDICULOUS! so if you have nothing holding you back (beside your love of michigan) then maybe you do want to get some experience elsewhere.......i would love to move back and teach in michigan...but i know my outlook would not be good!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 PM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
ok to add to what i said above (i missed my chance to use the edit button!)

If you do really want to teach in MI definitely get on a few sub lists for different districts-you will learn which schools you like the most-everyone will learn who you are and you will definitely be on a top of a lilst when you submit an application later on. Oh yeah subs make more than minimum wage-and you will have fairly steady work-keep your part-time job too!

I moved to philly and subbed in the nicer school districts i was interested in and it has definitely helped!

look at charter schools too-my friends who got jobs right out of college in michigan subbed for a year at a charter school and now they both teach there......

good luck!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Does the Carolina's have teaching unions? I heard they do not pay well. And without a teacher's union... I doubt teachers will ever see a rise in pay. From what I have heard, MI has a teacher union and is one of the top paid. Michigan is also one of the hardest states to get a teaching position. I know a person who tried to get PE position near Flint and there was 177 applicants and she made the top 5. Yet, they gave to a long term sub who had been teaching in the school system... so perhaps if you want to stay in MI subbing/and getting to know the school administration seems to be the only way to get a job in MI.
There are no unions, but the part about pay is completely false. As a 1st year teacher, I made 32K this year. There is also a bill in the senate for a 7% raise. With my year of experience, I will make 35K if the bill passes.
NC gives teachers raises every year.
2005-4% raise
2006-8% raise
2007-5% raise

And, even if the bill does not pass for the 7% raise, we will be getting 3%.

And, as for a position in the Flint area having 177 applicants, they are lucky. 2 years ago in Goodrich (same county- Genesee), they had nearly 1800 applicants for 1 position. I know the district I subbed in received well over 1000 for each position as well (Genesee County, again).

Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
to the OP:
Michigan is a very tough market for everyone. I subbed for 2 years for the district I graduated from and received an interview once. The only reason I got an interview was because I was an alumn. All the positions went to relatives of someone- one of my old teachers was telling my mom how disgusted she is with that policy just the other day.
I have a friend who just finished her 4th year of subbing post graduation and has not even received 1 interview. She is awesome, too! And certified for MS science (and elem).

I think you will like South Carolina. I live near Charlotte NC and I love it. I miss things about Michigan, but overall, I am very happy here One day I hope to come "home" to teach, but until then, I am OK.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:27 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Let's see, I graduated in December 2006 and started looking that spring, and didn't find anything. Then I moved to Grand Rapids, the fastest growing part of the state. This spring I found out I was four classes short of an English certificate. I'll have that wrapped up by August.

Despite ALL of that, I still haven't had so much as an interview. I have a couple of prospects down by Kalamazoo, but haven't heard anything in three weeks, so who knows. I'd like to stay in MI, but I've already decided to leave in December if nothing comes up. I'm 27 and don't want to wait another year to get turned down. I need to get on with my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan