Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 23,202 times

Advertisements

Hi evryone were thinking about buying a property in flint can someone please tell me what they know about these neighborhoods Ive heard alot of bad things about the area but I figure theyre must be some fairly decent neighborhoods theyre

Gilmartin Street?
Mason street?
W Court Street?
Concord Street?
Prosect Street?

I really appreciate any help thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 23,205 times
I lived in flint for 5 yrs. my advice to you is don't. no matter where you live around there the crime is high. I wonder sometimes if they even have police.
drugs,gangs everything seriously do some searching but I would really really advise against moving there if you look up some of the statistics, I'm sure you'll feel the same. sorry don't mean to come off too negative. but that place is terrible.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:25 AM

27 posts, read 109,703 times
I grew up in the Flint area and still have family there. I don't know about the streets you named, but there are a couple of nice areas in Flint proper ... not cheap ones, though. Off of Miller Road, over by the Swartz Creek Golf Course, is quite nice. My aunt lives in a beautiful little neighborhood there ... look over by Ramsey, Chelsea, Cambridge and Parkside (that last one is VERY pricey, though).

Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM

693 posts, read 2,257,577 times
Default Reconsider your actions

Wow, a move into flint? What possessed you? If you have a good reason that pays off, the position that many others are enduring in the area doesn't matter; however be prepared to see Michigan's most devastated city every day. A staggering 14.0% unemployment rate!! (census.gov) Crime is normal, super cheap housing, but no where to work. If you must go for a job that will reward you, your savings will grow tremendously as cost of living is next to nothing, but don't expect to sell your house after you sign.... consider Brighton or similar and commute if you can

Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 57,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy24055 View Post
Hi evryone were thinking about buying a property in flint can someone please tell me what they know about these neighborhoods Ive heard alot of bad things about the area but I figure theyre must be some fairly decent neighborhoods theyre

Gilmartin Street?
Mason street?
W Court Street?
Concord Street?
Prosect Street?

The areas you mention above are all bad parts of town. School districts, crime, etc. Read the Flint Journal on Mlive.com and you will change your mind. I wouldn't wish for my worst enemies to live in those areas.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 23,157 times
Flint isn't the best place ever, that's for sure; however, if you have a decent job lined up you could live in one of the surrounding areas (Flushing, Swartz Creek, Montrose, etc) as they are pretty nice. I lived in Flint for 18 years, but when I moved away for college I never went back; I love the west side of the state! Anyway, my whole family still lives over there, mostly Flushing and Montrose. You can find nice houses there and the schools are nice, plus the commute wouldn't be bad at all! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
S&W

9 posts, read 73,812 times
Default What Flint ?

Ok I have lived in a suburb of flint for 46 years.I would not move here for all the reasons listed above.The crime is getting worse & the police force smaller.If I had to move here the only place I would consider is Fenton or Flushing everywhere else is every man for himself & drug infested.Montrose is bad with meth labs.Clio is crack & weed.No one goes downtown after dark for anyreason.Even the shopping mall is bad (Genesee Valley Center) my neighbor worked security there & it was gang infested with rapes & robbery all the time but not reported in the newspaper for monatary reasons.If you have to you have to but think it over.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:12 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurphy24055 View Post

Gilmartin Street?
Mason street?
W Court Street?
Concord Street?
Prosect Street?

I was just in Flint today by W.Court St. near S. Saginaw St. to a recycling center and have to say it isn't the best of neighborhoods.

I'm not too sure what you'd want out of life but i can guarantee you it ain't there!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W View Post
Ok I have lived in a suburb of flint for 46 years.I would not move here for all the reasons listed above.The crime is getting worse & the police force smaller.If I had to move here the only place I would consider is Fenton or Flushing everywhere else is every man for himself & drug infested.Montrose is bad with meth labs.Clio is crack & weed.No one goes downtown after dark for anyreason.Even the shopping mall is bad (Genesee Valley Center) my neighbor worked security there & it was gang infested with rapes & robbery all the time but not reported in the newspaper for monatary reasons.If you have to you have to but think it over.

I was checking out that mall today (Genessee Valley) by Lennon and Martin today and was thinking to myself-"what a crappy lookin' mall". I was shocked to see it as such because that particular surrounding area looks like a well-to-do area so to speak.

You're right, Downtown Flint seems to suck the life out of you. I was there for a court case last year and left the area feelin' 'tired'. (trust me, it had nothing to do with court!)

Old 02-24-2007, 04:13 AM

4 posts, read 31,030 times
Sad to say, but this is all true about the Flint area. Its my hometown, but its seen its better days.
Flint really got its boost when Fisher Guide and the others all moved to town. The downtown Flint area used to be the upscaled neighborhood. Oh? about 50yr ago? Now its major ghetto, For Real!
The last 4 streets mentioned are all in downtown Flint.
I've recently heard that Herione has gotten big there among the crackheads.
I feel very lucky to have gotten released from the hometown hold. Live in a cute lil town in Tn now and couldnt even consider Flint as and option of living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan