Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:25 AM

31 posts, read 76,490 times

Advertisements

My family moved from Colorado to Nebraska for my husbands job. We don't really care for Nebraska and now the company he works for wants him to relocate to Michigan. We are thinking about moving to Kazoo rather than battle creek; which is where he works. He is currently working there and living out of a hotel. He is currently looking for a house to rent as the kids and I will be moving mid August.This will be the second move for us in 5 months. I really don't know anything about Michigan and I've never even visited there but my husband really likes it and believes that this would be a better move for us. I'm concerned about area and schools as we have 3 boys that will be attending school soon.
I would really appreciate anyones opinions and suggestions on the best schools and areas.
Thanks for your input and time.

Last edited by Tickety; 07-18-2008 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:48 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,780,166 times
If you want a smaller town with good schools you might look to the East of Battle Creek to Marshall. Very quiet town yet close enough to get into Battle Creek whenever you want to. It has decent shopping and a real downtown area that is very nice.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 AM

218 posts, read 506,771 times
Why not just live in Battle Creek and save gas money. Lakeview and Harper Creek both have new high schools. BC has all the shopping you need, good youth sports, area lakes, and golf.

Kalamazoo is a little bigger, but the high schools seem a little more troublesome. There are both nice and terrible areas.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM

209 posts, read 656,886 times
ya there are other medium sized towns around that are closer than kalamazoo. with gas at 4.15 i dont think you wanna commute from kalamazoo to battle creek. towns like marshall and augusta or something thats closer. the lakeview and harper creek areas are nice.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM

Thank you so much for the information. We don't really know anything about Michigan. My husband is currently in a hotel in Kalamazoo so that is why we were looking at that area, because he really likes it. I don't know why his company would put him in a hotel so far from where he works. I didn't realize that Battle creek and Kalamazoo were that far apart. I tried looking at a map but didn't notice the distance. I just want to insure that the kids are in a decent school with opportunities for growth. I also have to find a job and am hopefully that I will find one close to the area we move too.
Thanks again for the great suggestions we will defiantly look into those areas listed.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 AM

78 posts, read 242,659 times
Since you have children, definitely have your husband check out Marshall (I wish I could move back).

Old 07-18-2008, 12:26 PM

I will have my husband look into Marshall but what about Springfield; I noticed that it seems to be in between Kalamazoo and battle Creek?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM

695 posts, read 3,404,671 times
If you have kids and are planning on staying in the Kzoo area, live in Kzoo! You can partake in the Kalamazoo Promise, which means free or heavily discounted college tuition.

Kalamazoo Promise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-18-2008, 02:06 PM

89 posts, read 336,215 times
Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are 20 miles downtown to downtown apart. I agree with the previous poster Cardwellave that if you have kids it will be worth living in the Kalamazoo School District and sending them to Kalamazoo Public Schools, they will get free college tuition when the time comes. I would check out other posts in this forum as this topic has been discussed recently.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM

27 posts, read 73,929 times
I think you will like Michigan. I live in Colorado but spent a year in Michigan and still miss it. We want to move back and are considering Kalamazoo because of the Promise! I have heard some positive things in the media about Kalamazoo. Two weeks ago there was an article in the USA TODAY about the city and it's promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan