Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:26 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,899,894 times

Advertisements

I think I read somewhere that only one other state has lefts like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 01:53 PM

658 posts, read 1,779,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
My husband just got a ticket for turning left on red, while making a Michigan left. So, who knows.

I think the Michigan left is the weirdest and most time consuming thing. However, I can say that I see FAR fewer accidents here than I saw in TX, so there must be a reason for doing it that way! I guess it's safer.
I live in the DC area where many driver make U-Turns at Left turn intersections, which is unbelievably dangerous. The Michigan U is definately unique, but I would say it actually takes less time to make a U-turn than to wait for a green arrow on a left turn signal, and has been shown to reduce accidents.

Regarding the light on the U-Turn, you cannot turn on red unless it's blinking. I remember from drivers ed that you treat a light at a Michigan U the same way you would treat left turn intersection.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,764,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippingJay View Post
I live in the DC area where many driver make U-Turns at Left turn intersections, which is unbelievably dangerous. The Michigan U is definately unique, but I would say it actually takes less time to make a U-turn than to wait for a green arrow on a left turn signal, and has been shown to reduce accidents.

Regarding the light on the U-Turn, you cannot turn on red unless it's blinking. I remember from drivers ed that you treat a light at a Michigan U the same way you would treat left turn intersection.
You can turn left on a red (not blinking), if you are on a one-way going onto another one way in Michigan. A Michigan left turn is treated that way (as someone posted a few posts back). I would do it, unless there is sign that specifically says "NO LEFT TURN ON RED" at a Michigan left.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 PM

104 posts, read 415,820 times
Speaking of weird turns, I remember from years ago, when I was in New Jersey for business, they had many towns with roundabouts(or rotaries, whichever you prefer to call them), and many places with jug-handle turns. Now THOSE were weird. I don't remember exactly how they worked, but I believe you would use these to make u-turns. You would have to make a right onto a side street (usually at a 45 degree angle), then make a left turn (which I believe had a traffic light), proceed to another traffic light and make another left turn. The only place I remember seeing these was on busy roads, but it was worse than the MI U-turns....sometimes you had to drive ridiculously far. For example, I was staying at a hotel in Cherry Hill, NJ, and wanted to go to a convenience store,, which was LITERALLY across the busy road from the hotel. Being a divided highway (with concrete barriers), you couldn't get across the street. Mind you that the store was probably 300 feet from the hotel entrance. I got in the car, turned right onto the one way side, drove to the nearest jug-handle turn, completed my left turn, bought what I needed to, made a right out of the store parking lot, to the nearest jug-handle, completed the asinine turn ritual, and returned to the hotel parking lot. The odometer had clocked over 2 miles to go across the street. How do you arrive at 2 miles? First right turn, then 1/2 mile to jug handle, make left turn, then 1/2 mile to store, right turn from store 1/2 mile to jug handle, make left turn, then another 1/2 mile to hotel. I know that the MI U-turns are annoying as well, but the turnouts are generally much closer together here. Now here in A2, they have added 3 roundabouts on Maple Rd by the new Skyline High School, and I'm surprised that there aren't a large number of accidents in them. As with most roundabouts, every entrance to the circle has a YIELD sign, and you are supposed to give the right-of-way to a vehicle already in the circle. Do you think very many drivers actually yield? Nope....most drive right into the traffic circle at 40mph and hope for the best. But, these new circles are NOTHING like the disaster they built in Brighton....

Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM

734 posts, read 2,607,650 times
Yeah they've added round-abouts all around the Bloomfield/Farmington/etc. area as well. I was driving with a classmate who is from the UP and he was literally like, "****, what do I do?"

Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM

654 posts, read 3,447,002 times
The main thing that took me a little time to get used to was the Michigan "U-Turn" and I admit sometimes that got pretty annoying, having to go way up the road, turn around and then try to make the light before it changed. After I got used to it it wasn't that big of a deal. I think MI is the only state that I know of that does this; mainly of the fact that you cannot make direct lefts at most of the intersections. A few of them you can if you have a blinking red.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,329,743 times
From the August 11, 2008, Detroit Free Press, the definitive word on making Michigan Lefts for all who are confused.

A right and wrong way to make a Michigan Left | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,395,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthemike View Post
Ok, so..I just moved to MI.

I found out there is this thing called the Michigan left hand turn where you basically make a right and an immediate u-turn.

Now, the u-turns sometimes have a stop light. But, i've noticed, even if it is red (not blinking) people go...is this, normal? Is this..legal? (doesn't seem legal!)
Yes. A left turn on red onto a one way street is allowed unless posted otherwise. It's the same as a right turn on red when you're in a one way turn around.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
I love the "Michigan Left'!!! That's one thing I wish we had more of here in the DC area. I don't get what is so confusing about them. They make sense to me.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 9,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
Yeah they've added round-abouts all around the Bloomfield/Farmington/etc. area as well. I was driving with a classmate who is from the UP and he was literally like, "****, what do I do?"
Yep Jackson Michigan too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan