Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNomads View Post
Don't be too hard on Jeeb, I think she is on the defense.
I wasn't referring to Jeeg at all. I was referring to you and the post you made in response to one of Jeegs' replies.

I went to Lake State, but had friends go to NMU. Good school, and you can't beat Marquette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
People moving down to my area (Livignston County) from the UP say they're overwhelmed by how many more jobs we have here, which is utterly scary to me. There is a lot more stuff down here that the UP doesn't have -- nightlife, large cities and everything they offer, better services of all kinds. But the UP wins hands down in other ways -- the scenery ranges from pretty to staggering, there's a ton more elbow room, and if you like hunting or shoveling snow it's Paradise.
Actually , Paradise , is a town in the eastern UP. I would not call it "paradise" , a mile or two shy.......ether way , the UP has a delicate balance of jobs to population ratio. It is a special place , not for everybody , most of us like it that way. So many folks have left the UP , to find their way in the larger world , most I would say , want to return , some do , some do not..... Its like that in most of the paradises . If you really want to live here , you will find a way. Self employment sometimes is the only way.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM

137 posts, read 532,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Actually , Paradise , is a town in the eastern UP. I would not call it "paradise" , a mile or two shy.......ether way.
They name 'towns' fancy names up here to attract tourists....Paradise....Christmas, etc.....I mean, who wouldn't want to spend Christmas in.....the town of Christmas lol. Paradise has a cool blueberry festival too...and, cranberry bogs!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
They name 'towns' fancy names up here to attract tourists....Paradise....Christmas, etc.....I mean, who wouldn't want to spend Christmas in.....the town of Christmas lol. Paradise has a cool blueberry festival too...and, cranberry bogs!!!
and , on the way.........to White Fish Point.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 PM

137 posts, read 532,435 times
Whitefish Point is.....in one word.....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! They have a festival there in September.....it has regional folk music and a fish boil. I didn't try the fish boil.....I'm not sure it'd be my thing or not but, they're almost as common as pasties here.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 PM

The first time I went to Whitefish Point , in August , it was cold....started snowing , of all things ! Standing on the Point , facing the north wind , laced with snow , ......I could not help but be reminded , as I looked out on the Bay..... of , the mighty ore Boat Edmund Fitzgerald ......." If only they had a few more miles behind Her , and made Whitefish Bay " , as the song says. Gordie , one of my all time favorites. The museum is great , always a favorite stop when touring the eastern UP.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:03 PM

27 posts, read 78,431 times
This is an old post, however as with comparing any place...get out of your rut as you may believe it to be, and gain experience elsewhere so you will then have a comparison to draw on. We had four generations in the U.P. Whenever we go back to visit, it seems that many people are indeed in a rut there. Economically, the area is depressed. Furthermore some of the people seem to have aged quicker and put on a lot of weight. A favorite past-time in Escanaba is going out to eat at the bazillion fast food restaurants. Cultural deprivation as mentioned in another post is a large entity in the U.P. The majority of the population is basically composed of your lower middle class individuals who speak "Yooper" - - "Are you's going to the local bar, eh?!" It's really different after having lived in large cities such as Denver, San Francisco, and Anchorage. So, if you are feeling geographically deprived in the U.P. it is most likely because you are.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
What year did it snow in August at Whitefish Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The first time I went to Whitefish Point , in August , it was cold....started snowing , of all things ! Standing on the Point , facing the north wind , laced with snow , ......I could not help but be reminded , as I looked out on the Bay..... of , the mighty ore Boat Edmund Fitzgerald ......." If only they had a few more miles behind Her , and made Whitefish Bay " , as the song says. Gordie , one of my all time favorites. The museum is great , always a favorite stop when touring the eastern UP.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 99,114 times
Lansing, Michigan (A+)

I think Lansing is a great place to live! I use to live in Detroit (all my life actually) but had to move because of college (go MSU) and never looked back. Every time I go to Detroit it just seems depressing to me. I can't move back to that! I live in the suburbs of East Lansing, and it's a HUGE culture difference than Detroit. I don't know too much about the UP but Lansing, Grand Rapids, and Ann Arbor are pretty safe places to go especially if you have kids.

Moderator cut: advertising is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-27-2009 at 01:56 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
What year did it snow in August at Whitefish Point?
I think it was 1994... I was on Caravan with the Classic Car Club that summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan