Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Sociologist, I know what you mean. I'm heading up there for five days, and I already know it's not enough time to do everything I want to do.

Hey, more good news. I'm going to Grand Haven tonight for the Coast Guard Festival finale. I'll be hanging with friends while watching the fireworks on the Grand River. Sweet!
Oh, piffle! I have been so pre-occupied with my son being on his initial voyage on a cutter out of Alaska that I totally forgot about the CG Festival this year! Was it fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Quote:
Originally posted by: MIcoastiemom
Oh, piffle! I have been so pre-occupied with my son being on his initial voyage on a cutter out of Alaska that I totally forgot about the CG Festival this year! Was it fun?
I only went on Saturday, but it was its usual wonderfully chaotic self. The people, weather, the sunset. I saw the fireworks right on the grand river. It was amazing.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:23 AM

334 posts, read 1,497,878 times
What a wonderful thread this is!!! Such a relief to focus on the positive for a change!
My good news: we made an offer on a home, and helped someone avert foreclosure.
We are driving up to Toronto to pick up my daughter and son-in-law (flying from out west) and bringing them back to show off Michigan!! Can't wait!!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
What a wonderful thread this is!!! Such a relief to focus on the positive for a change!
My good news: we made an offer on a home, and helped someone avert foreclosure.
Turns out that is what our house purchase averted as well. They were on the edge of losing the place when we came along and bought it. We didn't know how close they were until somebody in town who we know and knew them mentioned they were so worried the bank was going to have to foreclose on them. Glad it worked out for both of our families. They are now in a different part of the State making a new home with new jobs and we are back where we belong here in our hometown.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
By the way, bydand, welcome home. From the way your posts sounded you were counting down the days to move back.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
By the way, bydand, welcome home. From the way your posts sounded you were counting down the days to move back.
Thank you. Yes we were counting down the days until we got back to where we belong in this world.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
I sold a property out west and took the money and paid cash for a darling cottage on the "sunrise side" of the state. It was incredibly low priced and a reflection of the property values decline. It's in Alcona County which I suppose is "officially" one of the more "depressed" counties in MI. The good news is that I probably couldn't have afforded it in the "good times". I'm lovin' it!

One of my favorite camping spots is in Ossineke. The campsites are steps away from a beautiful beach along Lake Huron. Farther north, Alpena is my favorite town in MI.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,221 times
Arrow Michigan good news thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Farther north, Alpena is my favorite town in MI.
Hi YAZ!

I grew up in Alpena and lived there until 1995. We moved across the state to Traverse City, and absolutely LOVE it over here! I loved growing up in Alpena (although admittedly, I didn't have anything else to compare to, since that's the only place I lived as a child) but as an adult, it became difficult to make a living there. On the other hand, T.C. has been wonderful to us and our kids. We visit Alpena fairly often, to see family and friends, but Grand Traverse is home to us now. Just curious, have you lived in Alpena, or just visited?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Tried to book passage to Isle Royal NP this year (wow are they busy) I've went several times in the past....next summer I shall be on a plane to the Island, and stay there for at least a month. Along with stops at pictured rocks, porcupine mtns..ahh yes, my mountain bike will get its miles put on it! Oh wait......next summer is a ways off

Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
Tried to book passage to Isle Royal NP this year (wow are they busy) I've went several times in the past....next summer I shall be on a plane to the Island, and stay there for at least a month. Along with stops at pictured rocks, porcupine mtns..ahh yes, my mountain bike will get its miles put on it! Oh wait......next summer is a ways off

Don't forget Taquemenon Falls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan