Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

We have been looking for houses in the New Baltimore area at 26 and County Line. Taxes in New Baltimore are so much higher than in Chesterfield Township. Is it worth looking in New Baltimore? How is the school district? I don't want to move for another 10 to 15 years when I buy so I want to make a good decision. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM

38 posts, read 121,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1scrappinmom View Post
We have been looking for houses in the New Baltimore area at 26 and County Line. Taxes in New Baltimore are so much higher than in Chesterfield Township. Is it worth looking in New Baltimore? How is the school district? I don't want to move for another 10 to 15 years when I buy so I want to make a good decision. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The extra money that you would pay in taxes in NB. Would be worth it in the long run. I know I'll get crap for saying this... But Chesterfield is going downhill fast. Basically the futher away from the SMART Bus route, The better things are! The heart of chesterfield is the 23/Gratiot area, and it is quickly becoming, a Ghetto and has been a breeding ground for crime. Check out the local "Voice" newpaper, You would definatly be better off, in the Anchor Bay schools. Again check out the local papers. I've seen Chesterfield go from (not even on the map) to what it is now... A mismanaged, suburb, filling up with problems, that is going down hill fast. Not all of Chesterfield is going down the tubes, but along the Gratiot corridor, it getting bad (which is a SMARTbus Route!). So this is my honest opinion, (not Trolling!) New Baltimore has alot more to offer than Chesterfield. Just look at all the city's along Gratiot from Detroit. Well Chesterfield will eventually be as crime ridden as those. Now look at the City's along the lake form Detroit... Away from the SMARTbus Route. It's amazing. Again my observations, and they are sure to get flamed, but Good luck, either way!

Old 08-04-2008, 08:33 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
The extra money that you would pay in taxes in NB. Would be worth it in the long run. I know I'll get crap for saying this... But Chesterfield is going downhill fast. Basically the futher away from the SMART Bus route, The better things are! The heart of chesterfield is the 23/Gratiot area, and it is quickly becoming, a Ghetto and has been a breeding ground for crime. Check out the local "Voice" newpaper, You would definatly be better off, in the Anchor Bay schools. Again check out the local papers. I've seen Chesterfield go from (not even on the map) to what it is now... A mismanaged, suburb, filling up with problems, that is going down hill fast. Not all of Chesterfield is going down the tubes, but along the Gratiot corridor, it getting bad (which is a SMARTbus Route!). So this is my honest opinion, (not Trolling!) New Baltimore has alot more to offer than Chesterfield. Just look at all the city's along Gratiot from Detroit. Well Chesterfield will eventually be as crime ridden as those. Now look at the City's along the lake form Detroit... Away from the SMARTbus Route. It's amazing. Again my observations, and they are sure to get flamed, but Good luck, either way!
Is Chesterfield still a township or has it been incorporated as a city? Same question goes for Clinton, Shelby, and Macomb? Many people I know just consider them as Clinton, Chesterfield....etc.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,634 times
New Baltimore taxes are high and not worth it. We have had nothing but issues with the pricipal at Ashley. The bus driver will even drop a kid off at another stop because he didn't get up from his seat fast enough to get off at his. You can't sell your house for even close to what you owe, and the taxes have not gone down enough to compensate for it. Crime is the same here as it is in Chesterfield. Look in the voice, or google Deaths in New Baltimore in the last 2 years. We dont have any good stores here because they too, don't want to have to pay the taxes.
We have a drug dealer in our sub. Does not make for a good, safe place for children to play. If we could afford to give our house away, we would and not give it a second thought.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 AM

137 posts, read 331,663 times
There is a reason it's known as Chestertuckey. It sure has changed in the last eight years - not for the better.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:17 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Since you want to stay there 10 to 15 years, just go all the way to Port Huron. The bus with all those nasty Detroiters won't make it out that far in 10-15 years. Remember, the goal is to distance yourself from Detroit as much as possible since people are jumping off the bus and gunning down people in the middle of Gratiot in Roseville, Eastpointe, Clinton Township etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:20 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
In case this is an issue, the New Baltimore schools are crummy. And they have so many fish flies that they hold an annual Fish Fly Festival. There is nothing else left to do, really.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Since you want to stay there 10 to 15 years, just go all the way to Port Huron. The bus with all those nasty Detroiters won't make it out that far in 10-15 years. Remember, the goal is to distance yourself from Detroit as much as possible since people are jumping off the bus and gunning down people in the middle of Gratiot in Roseville, Eastpointe, Clinton Township etc.
Crime is definitely an issue along the Gratiot corridor. They are bussed in from Detroit and come up into the burbs to commit their crimes. Shoplifting, car theft, you name it.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:06 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jst333 View Post
True words and the same observation as any non-ignorant person.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Great so we can't live on bus routes. That rules out Sterling Heights. With Clinton Townships lone robbery and zero rapes and murders and crime index below 150 this Gratiot effect is terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan