Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM

41 posts, read 126,556 times

Advertisements

Coming from a family largely comprised of seasoned teachers in SE MI, I understand the pains of new teachers trying to break into the Michigan schools. MI teachers are WELL-PAID, and have unabashedly clutched to their jobs long after reaching their retirement eligibility status, and in the process have screwed new blood out of employment. I feel like a traitor saying this, btw.

But here's some good news for young teachers-to-be: you may have read recent news articles touting the MEA's proposed plans of offering a better retirement incentive to the older teachers. Word on the street is: older teachers are very seriously contemplating this new retirement plan. Don't quote me, but I heard there are 90,000 teachers in MI who could retire this very minute!

I wish you all the best of luck! (older teachers, please don't knock me for stating the facts)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our district is considering an offering older teachers a retirement incentive, but only if they retire this year. The idea is that if you give a $90,000 a year teacher an extra $7,000 a year to retire now, and replace them with a $40,000 a year young teacher, then you save a whole lot of money (at least for now). What happens when the $40,000 a year young teachers become $90,000 a year teachers and you are still paying the extra $7,000 a year to the retired teachers? Maybe they are hoping that the retirees will die off by then. Maybe they will send out letters "Could you please die now?, you are getting a bit expensive."

Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Back to the OP. The economy is probably slightly worse here than in Ohio. There are jobs. Everyone that I know who was recently looking, found a job (that is all of four people, so not a good sampling, but there are some jobs). The West Side of the state seems to be doing a little better right now than the Detroit area. Ann Arbor is doing ok.

Yes, you can get great deals on land all over the state. You might want to consider living near a city and buying some raw land an hour or so away. That would probably give you the best income/land bargain combination.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Sales tax we are #4 nationally. Not the highest, but close.
How do you figure #4? 6% is typical of a lot of states. I can think of at least seven states with rates higher than 6%.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:38 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
How do you figure #4? 6% is typical of a lot of states. I can think of at least seven states with rates higher than 6%.
I cited my source and put a link in my post as well. That might have changed this year also, this thread IS 6 months old, and the post you are questioning is over a year old. I just looked and there are now 12 states with higher sales tax than MI. (and there are 10, including MI, that are at 6% now)

Last edited by Bydand; 08-23-2009 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Looked at the numbers for this year.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 PM

67 posts, read 213,874 times
I left Madison Heights, In june. I now live in Louisville, KY. Pack up and leave, Do what is best for your family. Do not be afraid to leave

Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beadster View Post
I left Madison Heights, In june. I now live in Louisville, KY. Pack up and leave, Do what is best for your family. Do not be afraid to leave
Louisville is hot and muggy in the summer, and has lots of mosquitoes, houseflies, and other annoying insects.

I'm thinking of moving to Wyoming, because it has lots of mountains, and lots of towns that are more than a mile above sea level. Hopefully mosquitoes would get tired trying to fly that high.

Also Wyoming has no income tax, and other taxes are low. And electricity is about as cheap as KY, which is much cheaper than MI. In some states, electricity is enough to shock you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan