Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have one son who had worked in Michigan. Were all from the Toledo/Sandusky Ohio area. He was caught in the auto crunch and are on route to Roswell NM and looking at Lubbock TX. Younger brother is in Hobbs NM. I live in Florida and looking at Lubbock TX. and Hobbs NM, can't forget Roswell NM.The oldest boy also wants to see whats going on in Austin TX. He's a master electrician. What I understand from the youngest is that Rio Rancho is not far from Santa Fe.That area is growing he never seen so many Home Depots. Nice thing about Texas they have the same set-up as Florida with no state tax and plenty of room to roam. The Texas panhandle seems appealing each day to us.
Funny you mention Texas. I've been poking around the forums looking into Lubbock too, and West Texas in general. Good luck getting there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM

15 posts, read 38,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Lets see... MIL is in Appleton, WI, husband was in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and now we are in Arizona. My grandmother, 70 years ago, went to Minnesota then Wisconsin. Everyone was from the U.P. Really, I think a lot of younger people from the U.P. go to Wisconsin or Illinois to find jobs. The older folk go to the other places mentioned. I have met a number of older ex-Michiganders here in Arizona, but so far only one family.

You will find MN and WI to have similar cultures. We also spent a season out in New Hampshire. I think Vermont/New Hampshire share the independence one feels in Michigan, well at least in the U.P.
My fiance and I moved to Northern Virginia. I moved last year and she moved in April. We seem to run into Michiganders everywhere we go. We're so happy to have escaped the depressed Michigan stranglehold relatively unscathed (only about $50K lost between the sale of 2 homes).

And I've heard their are an abundance of teaching jobs in the Washington D.C. area. Check the Washington Post website. The cost of housing is high but the economy in this area is hard to beat.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designerRob View Post
My fiance and I moved to Northern Virginia. I moved last year and she moved in April. We seem to run into Michiganders everywhere we go. We're so happy to have escaped the depressed Michigan stranglehold relatively unscathed (only about $50K lost between the sale of 2 homes).

And I've heard their are an abundance of teaching jobs in the Washington D.C. area. Check the Washington Post website. The cost of housing is high but the economy in this area is hard to beat.

Good Luck!!!!

yes lots of teaching jobs in the area i taught in the area for two years...but there are good reasons they have high turnover-they need to work on a few things in the school systems around there...otherwise i loved and love the DC area.....still love to go back and visit as i did this past weekend.......
i still love michigan though and see myself moving back in the future when i can get a teaching job there

Old 08-25-2008, 06:49 PM

132 posts, read 461,101 times
We are moving to Chicago in a week. Two years after graduating, we still couldn't get jobs in our fields. And now we're stuck with a house we can't sell either. My husband applied to jobs all over the country, and this one was closest to "home".

Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
I moved to the Charlotte NC area last year to teach. I chose this area because it was similar to the area in Michigan I grew up in (east of Flint).
I absolutely LOVE it here. I miss Michigan in many ways, but I truly love it here and am content for the near future. Everything here is new and booming- buildings go up every day. I come home (to MI) for holidays to find more and more places closing and becoming abandoned. It is sad.

I honestly think the education field will not improve at all in the next 5 years. I was lucky- I got 1 interview, LOL. I had an interview the first year I applied and none the second year. I came down here to interview and was offered a job on the spot. I was actually offered 4 jobs, but I accepted the first offer (it was my 2nd NC interview- I had 5 in one day and was offered 4 jobs!).

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,987 times
DH and I were lucky enough to land jobs in the Cleveland area, we left June 2007. We still have property near Lansing that will not sell for what we owe on it anytime soon, but luckily don't have to worry about having a vacant house on it.

People I know that have moved all in the past 1-12 months:
2 moved to TX
2 moved to KY
1 moved to AZ
1 moved to CO
1 moved to AL
1 moved to NE
1 moved to Chicago
1 moved to Columbus, OH

I have seen a lot of Michiganders on the TN forums and have also heard about a lot moving to the Carolinas. Of the people I know of, the ones that owned a home just turned it over to the bank. I only know of one person, other than my hubby and I, that are still paying on their mortgage.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 PM

382 posts, read 1,053,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Hi all,
I don't usually start two threads in one day, but...I was thinking of all the people who have left Michigan in the past several years, and was wondering which states they have gone to. I ask this because I'm now planning to join the Michigan diaspora. (after a year and a half, and no interviews for teaching jobs) I'd like to find a state where I won't feel like a TOTAL stranger in my new location, wherever that is.

I don't know if I'd get more responses in the General U.S. forum or here, but I'll post here just to see.

Thanks!

Mackinac

We are all brothers and sisters of the Thumb- You can take us out of Michigan but you can't take the Michigan out of us.

Further, there are many Michigan, MSU and Detroit sports bars across the US. I know from experience that the Michigan scene in LA is thriving.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
We are all brothers and sisters of the Thumb- You can take us out of Michigan but you can't take the Michigan out of us.

Further, there are many Michigan, MSU and Detroit sports bars across the US. I know from experience that the Michigan scene in LA is thriving.
So true! I had my 20th HS class reunion recently. Many classmates live in various parts of the country and still refers to Michigan as their home. Most hope to be back someday.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 AM

75 posts, read 275,759 times
i moved to georgia 12 years ago right after i graduated from college with my bsw because there was no jobs. (i'm from the UP) i recently found out that i could actually get a better paying job (with about the same cost of living) in marquette, michigan. i would LOVE to move back to michigan and i plan on it one day, but right now with one child still at home... just entered 3rd grade... (oldest is starting college)... i just can't take my daughter that far away from her dad!!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:14 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,943 times
People we know have moved to:
(all in the last year)
3 families to Ohio, both near Columbus
1 to Overland Park, Kansas
1 to Seattle
too many to count to Texas
2 to Rochester, NY

Teaching jobs can be found in many states
Oregon has a huge need for teachers
NC has already been mentioned
Many southern states, too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan