U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 PM

12,085 posts, read 30,570,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
I'm always amazed when I hear that people don't realize that you can't see the other side of the lake. Lake Superior is bigger than Massachusetts--you can readily see that on a map.
Lake Superior is larger than 10 states if you include the states land and water area:
West Virgina
Maryland
Hawaii
Massachusetts
Vermont
New Hampshire
New Jersey
Connecticut
Delaware
Rhode Island

If you take the bottom 5 you are still smaller area wise than Lake Superior (need to add almost half of Vermont to equal the Lake).

If you go by land area alone you can add South Carolina and Maine to the list.

My wife was born and raised in Mass. She couldn't believe how big the Lakes were when she first saw them. She is still in awe 12 years later when we take our walks along Lake Michigan 2 or 3 times a week. My new Sister-in-Law came out in June and is trying so hard to get my Brother to move back to Michigan so she can be close to the Lakes (among other reasons of course). She was born and raised in Maine and they still live there. She stood on a bluff I like to take lake view virgins to because it is such a dramatic view, and just looked at the lake speechless. When she did manage to voice her thoughts a minute or two later, she just kept repeating "This is SO not what I was expecting, it is amazing!" I bet she said that 20 times.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM

2,543 posts, read 5,362,913 times
Thanks for the list, Bydand. I didn't want to start listing too many because I figured I would get myself in trouble! We have a giant map of the U.S. hanging above our computer desk, so I was just glancing at that.

My favorite area is at the mouth of the Two-Hearted River. It seems like most of Luce County is dirt roads transversing the woods. You drive and drive through woods and over streams and finally you pop out in the campground there. And the lakeshore is empty for miles and miles.

I also love the memory of camping on Superior, closer to the Sault. My baby was teething and crabby, so in the middle of the night I put him in the sling and walked up and down the beach barefoot, watching the water quietly lapping, the moon and the stars, with a sleeping baby snuggled next to me.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM

11,147 posts, read 12,392,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Speaking of waves on the Great Lakes- my son is in the Coast Guard; he has been stationed on both Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. According to the officers and the men who have been stationed on both the Great Lakes and on the ocean, the lakes, particularily Lake Superior are far more dangerous to navigate in a storm. Something to due with the fact that the energy from the waves on the ocean have more area to disperse. There is only so much area for waves to disperse their energy in the Great Lakes, most of the time they cannot adequately, and so the energy keeps compounding itself.
Yeah. There's a reason they ferry all the freighters to the nearest port whenever storms whip up on Superior.

Here in Marquette, another guy got killed by a rip tide a couple weeks ago. No matter how many warnings or plaques they put up, people still underestimate the lake. A lot of times they have to call searches off because the waves are too rough even for the Coast Guard and helicopters.

His body washed up several miles down the shore. A little disturbing to think that the beaches and water were full of people swimming while this body was floating by.

On a lighter note - I think the Great Lakes states / provinces should pool their money and really advertise the Great Lakes - show pictures of freighters getting swamped by waves so that they're almost underwater. Show the clear waters you can see through and the rugged cliffs and the beaches. Show the beautiful towns on bluffs.

So many people are shocked when they see the lakes or even pictures of the lakes. Their perception is Cleveland 1969. If people don't start appreciating this entirely unique ecosystem as an international and global treasure, it's going to be a much bigger fight when everybody else really runs out of water.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM

2,390 posts, read 3,008,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Arizona and New Mexico for example, are pretty, but it is pretty much all the same.
You made some good points, but this just isn't true. There is far more diversity of terrain/vegetation/snow/temperature in Arizona than in Michigan. Similar for New Mexico as well.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:27 AM

47,578 posts, read 53,055,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
You made some good points, but this just isn't true. There is far more diversity of terrain/vegetation/snow/temperature in Arizona than in Michigan. Similar for New Mexico as well.

You're right. Those states are not miles and miles of woods and rolling hills. You can drive and within 2-4 hours cover semi-barren desert - not really barren at all but to many they seem like it, then see some rolling hills, then some aspen forests and pine forests. You can see gaping canyons, and then be up hiking in a cool pine woods and look out over vast expanses. You can leave 100 degrees and in 2 hours be up camping or hiking and better have brought a sweater or jacket.

They may be too dry, too ungreen, too warm for some peoples' taste but they certainly have variety.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM

16 posts, read 7,641 times
The further north you go in Michigan the more beautiful it becomes, although the entire Western Coast of Michigan on Lake Michigan is beautiful. Huron side is nice too. The true hidden gem is the U.P. A lot of people cross the Mighty Mac (Mackinaw Bridge -which in itself if amazingly beautiful bridge where you can see Lakes Huron and Michigan meet) go over to Mackinaw Island and maybe up to the Soo. Some may go further West to Pictured Rocks. Pictured Rocks in Munising is gorgeous with waterfalls, cliffs, and of course Superior I would say is the most beautiful lake (actually an fresh-water inland sea). Don't stop there. Go to Marquette. It's the coolest town. I've actually lived there relocated from downstate. It's stunning, but it has a funky hippy granola eating type of vibe mixed with a bit of Canadian and Alaskan feel. There are tons of breweries, pubs, all kinds of fine dining, and a gorgeous old-fashion downtown. It's situated right on Lake Superior and the Lower Harbor and Marquette Light house is stunning. Go further into Presque Isle Park. I cannot describe the beauty. Look up Black Rocks and cliff diving. I could go on and on.

We have spend two summers exploring in and around Marquette and area right around it. You can climb to the top of Sugarloaf Mountain for a stunning views of Lake Superior and Marquette to the south. More remote Hogsback mountain is a hikers dream. There are extensive trail systems all throughout the area for off-leash dog waking, hiking, biking. People do not stay indoors in this town. In winter you will find the skiing, shoe shoeing. We got 3 feet of snow in one storm (which was somewhat of a fluke). The main road and side streets were cleared the next day which is literally unheard of downstate. They move that snow. It's a Narnia like winter wonderland.

Continue West and Lake Michigamme is amazing and Keewenaw Peninsula is not to be missed. In Keewenaw there are cool town like Calumet and Copper Harbor. You can take an old mine tour. The Jam Pot is a little jam store and bakery run by monks. The Brockway Mountains and the circle of Trees drive heading to Copper Harbor in autumn is spectacular.

Keep going West!! Go to Porcupine State park. You can spend your day looking for waterfalls. I particularly like Bond falls. Lake of the Clouds is truly is the prettiest landscape I've ever seen. It's beautiful in all seasons but spectacular in fall. It should be on anyone's Bucket list.

There is a largest natural fresh water spring outside of Manistique called Kitch-iti-kipi spring (the garden peninsula - which is the Lake Michigan side of the U.P) It's stunning. Go over to the Cut River bridge, which looks like not too much from the road (as the bridge is part of the US 2). So at the roadside park. You have to go UNDER the bridge. It will take you all the way down (stairs) to the cut river and the beaches of Lake Michigan. Don't forget Seney National Wildlife Refuge and of course Tahquamenon falls.

We have visited just about every single thing I have mentioned. I have lived in Michigan my entire life and had no idea all this was just beyond the bridge.

In the Lower P - Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes are about my favorite places.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,486,539 times
Southeastern Michigan is not totally devoid of nice scenery

Proud Lake State Recreation Area, Commerce Twp

(courtesy of #staylonger and #playlonger at Proud Lake State Recreation in Commerce, MI - 1000 Hours Outside)

Waterloo State Recreation Area, Chelsea

(forums.horsecity.com)

Waterloo-Pinckey Trail, Chelsea/Pinckey

(courtesy of www.hammockforums.net)

Big Seven Lake at Seven Lakes State Park, Holly

(Courtesy of porshadeunscorner.blogspot.com)

Oakwoods Metropark, Flat Rock

(courtesy of Michigan Trails | Home Page Michigan Trails)

view of Sturgeon Bar Island from Lake Erie Metropark, Brownstown Twp

(courtesy of mapio.net)

Old 02-22-2016, 04:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,486,539 times
Picture of nice Southeastern Michigan scenery continued:

Sand Dune at Island Lake State Park, Brighton

(courtesy of yelp.com)

Rolling Hills at Island Lake State Park, Brighton

(courtesy of yelp.com)

Huron River, Ann Arbor

(courtesy of a2gov.org)

Highland State Recreation Area, Highland Twp

(courtesy of friendsofhighlandrec.wordpress.com)

Bald Mountain State Recreation Area, Lake Orion

(courtesy of socal.hiker.net)

Beach along Lake Erie, Sterling State Park, Frenchtown Twp

(courtesy of Campsite Photos, Campground Reviews, Camping Pictures, Campsite Reviews. Camping Maps, Videos & Classified Ads. Free Online Camping Reservation System for Campgrounds.)

Old 02-23-2016, 01:03 AM

148 posts, read 79,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Are the people that frequent these forums so ignorant that they cannot read between the lines to know that not one person here speaks on behalf of the whole, rather they speak on behalf of their part? I mean, good golly, some of you get so defensive about certain responses. Who really cares? North, South, East, West...blah, blah, blah. These are individual OPINIONS about a place. I think that is what the OP was looking for. They just wanted to know how everyone compares their opinion of "beautiful MI" with other locations they may have been to.
Yeah I've been saying this for the longest...People in Michigan are easily offended and defensive, like how dare you criticize the beautiful, wonderful state of Michigan, there is nothing wrong with it!! It's opinion, not everyone has to agree. The funny thing is, the defensiveness on these forums is similar to how Michiganders act in real life too which is why I can't wait to leave the herd! .

Old 02-23-2016, 04:42 AM

4,068 posts, read 6,948,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover89 View Post
Yeah I've been saying this for the longest...People in Michigan are easily offended and defensive, like how dare you criticize the beautiful, wonderful state of Michigan, there is nothing wrong with it!! It's opinion, not everyone has to agree. The funny thing is, the defensiveness on these forums is similar to how Michiganders act in real life too which is why I can't wait to leave the herd! .
Hmmmm...Usually when you really like or love something you get defensive when people diss it. It's nothing personal, just a normal reaction. I guess if we are the only state in the country where people do this, maybe we are the only people who truly love our state. Happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan