Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,093 times

Advertisements

so are other states, for example central Pennsylvania with the hills and the tremendous fall foliage surrounding it is something to see.
Upstate NY is much like Michigan for hills, lakes and land.

I hear CT is beautifully full of trees and from pictures so is New Hampshire.

So where do or have these people lived that they think Michigan is more beautiful than any other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Some of the East coast is as pretty or more pretty. Much of it is simply over built and over crowded.

One thing that make Michigan so beautiful is the abundance of lakes, ponds and rivers. Other States have lakes and rivers too, but not in these numbers. In Michigan you are always near a major lake or river. Waterfront prperty is abundant and affordable (expesically right now) and Even the major cities are filled with trees.

Compared to many of the more poular States (Florida and Southern California for example) Michigan is unusually pretty.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
so are other states, for example central Pennsylvania with the hills and the tremendous fall foliage surrounding it is something to see.

So where do or have these people lived that they think Michigan is more beautiful than any other?
Texas?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
I grew up living in every geographic region of the contigous United States except for the Pacific Northwest. Does that qualify me as an expert? Michigan has hills and mountains, and is home to one the world's oldest mountain ranges. It has sandy beaches, cliffs, plains, wetlands, and caves. With the exception of desert or rain forest, I believe Michigan has nearly every geological and climate feature found throughout the rest of the USA. In fact, I think the Lord loved Michigan so much that He gave every human being a map, right there on the end of their arm! So how's that for the ultimate in marketing?!?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post

I am one that thinks Michigan has it all and is one of the most beautiful states there is. Where have I lived, or where have I been in this Country in all seasons? Much different answers on those two. Lived for years in Michigan (of course), Texas, & Maine; shorter times in Oregon, Colorado, and Mississippi. Spent a lot of time on vacations and travels in all but 3 of the other states (1+ month each). Have been all over the Country in all seasons and while each has their strong points, none have the whole package I like. The closest would be California because of the diverse landscapes, but it falls behind Michigan in my opinion because of their cost of living, and lack of Great Lakes. Oceans are fine if you can't have fresh water, but give me the clean clear lakes any day over saltwater.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:53 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
I live in PA right now and have lived in MD and have traveled to many many places and states...michigan has SAND sand dunes and lots of them-they are unique and beautiful...and yes michigan has MANY many more inland lakes and rivers than many of those states you said it also has more coastline than those states you said........i could go on and on...yes there are beautiful places in every state...but michigan is very unique...

Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
I dont care for the ocean and I could never live in a land locked state.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:15 AM

382 posts, read 1,054,033 times
If you drive through MI on I94, the state looks very ugly. The more north you go, or, along the lakes, MI is very attractive. Our roads are practical and deliberately don't interfere with nature. There are no Pacific Coast or Kangamangus-type Highways in Michigan.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:01 PM

62 posts, read 181,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
In Michigan you are always near a major lake or river. Waterfront prperty is abundant and affordable (expesically right now) and Even the major cities are filled with trees.
We may always be close to a lake or river (most likely a river) but you fail to mention that they can be filthy and certainly nothing to look at !

I will also HIGHLY disagree that the cities are filled with trees ! From the northern suburbs of Detroit to the Monroe area, I can't think of one city that is "filled" with trees ! Quite the opposite actually. They tear down trees here by the acre full and now because of the housing bust they are just vacant land areas left to sit. Builders will clear whole fields of land and then plant saplings after the subdivisions are built !

I think this is part of the problem on this forum. Lots of people that live in the northern areas frequent this board and have a very different view of MI. That's all well and good, but if people are moving here, they are likely moving for work and that will likely bring them to the SE area. It is not scenic or pretty down here and I wouldn't swim anywhere in any body of water if you paid me. Heck, when we go canoeing in Ann Arbor, there are even shopping carts, tires and tons of other debris in the water you can see as you float along ! We also have regular beach closures and other water contamination issues down here.

I just think it's important to clarify what areas are being spoken about when we're all talking about how pretty MI is. If people are moving here to live anywhere from Auburn Hills to Monroe, they are not getting a clear picture.

I have lived here all my life and I have travelled outside the US and within the US from farm land in Nebraska to Florida to a lot of time spent in Maine over the years. I have been up north MI many times and although there are some really beautiful spots, it doesn't compare to other states for me. I think the key point is whether or not you can make a living and still live in the beauty. That is harder in MI than other parts of the country. If you are fine just being able to vacation in the beauty or take day trips, then great. If you are able to make a living in those vacation areas, fabulous. But if your job will bring you to the SE or any other major city area of MI, it is best to have a truthful picture of that particular area!

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM

209 posts, read 657,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8pyrz View Post
We may always be close to a lake or river (most likely a river) but you fail to mention that they can be filthy and certainly nothing to look at !

I will also HIGHLY disagree that the cities are filled with trees ! From the northern suburbs of Detroit to the Monroe area, I can't think of one city that is "filled" with trees ! Quite the opposite actually. They tear down trees here by the acre full and now because of the housing bust they are just vacant land areas left to sit. Builders will clear whole fields of land and then plant saplings after the subdivisions are built !

I think this is part of the problem on this forum. Lots of people that live in the northern areas frequent this board and have a very different view of MI. That's all well and good, but if people are moving here, they are likely moving for work and that will likely bring them to the SE area. It is not scenic or pretty down here and I wouldn't swim anywhere in any body of water if you paid me. Heck, when we go canoeing in Ann Arbor, there are even shopping carts, tires and tons of other debris in the water you can see as you float along ! We also have regular beach closures and other water contamination issues down here.

I just think it's important to clarify what areas are being spoken about when we're all talking about how pretty MI is. If people are moving here to live anywhere from Auburn Hills to Monroe, they are not getting a clear picture.

I have lived here all my life and I have travelled outside the US and within the US from farm land in Nebraska to Florida to a lot of time spent in Maine over the years. I have been up north MI many times and although there are some really beautiful spots, it doesn't compare to other states for me. I think the key point is whether or not you can make a living and still live in the beauty. That is harder in MI than other parts of the country. If you are fine just being able to vacation in the beauty or take day trips, then great. If you are able to make a living in those vacation areas, fabulous. But if your job will bring you to the SE or any other major city area of MI, it is best to have a truthful picture of that particular area!

every other city in michigan is filled with trees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan