U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:54 AM

274 posts, read 597,136 times

Advertisements

i just drove to illinois for the first time yesterday and was warned about the red light cameras, which by the time i got closer to chicago i've noticed the little devices on the traffic lights. btw, the drive was horrible... I-94W to I-290 was pretty bad with roads that were broken and with uneven pavement where everything's pretty much under construction.

does michigan (more like the kalamazoo area and surroundings) have any stop light cameras? i was told that west main and drake may have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:11 AM

12,134 posts, read 22,282,980 times
Just don't run red lights and you will be fine.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 AM

well i heard that running thru yellows get you too...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM

2,832 posts, read 4,726,667 times
I think there have been lawsuits involving the cameras in California where people have complained that the yellow lights aren't timed long enough (intentionally).

I suspect that the effect of red light cameras will be to make people slam on the brakes as soon as a light turns yellow and also to slow people down as they approach stale green lights. I can foresee accidents resulting from people slamming on the brakes for yellow lights that they should actually go through (which, IMHO, should result in lawsuits against the municipalities that installed the cameras for their having negligently made the intersections more dangerous).

I just hope that the ninnies don't try to install ticket cameras on the freeways since the speed limits (on all roads, IMHO) are far lower than what they should be.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

736 posts, read 1,755,526 times
Speed limits in Ohio are ridiculous.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,952,952 times
the cameras are unconstitutional. do your own homework if you have a problem.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 PM

123 posts, read 340,249 times
In Mi I have not seen any but doesn't mean there are not. I just came back from 8 months in Ca and they are everywhere. The tickets too are unreal expensive. The intersections seem very big in Ca so when you are making a left turn for ex it takes awhile.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 PM

784 posts, read 1,964,342 times
Not legal in Michigan: Michigan Attorney General Says Red Light Cameras Illegal

Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 PM

469 posts, read 975,133 times
They are EVERYWHERE in Houston. My husband got a ticket for $75.00 for running a red light (he was going through a yellow light but it turned red before he got through.)
They send you a web address so you can watch yourself running the red light. I have to say, it was a little funny. - Or it would have been if we didn't have to pay the $75.00

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM

i know the thing is to not go through red lights, which is obvious, but sometimes when you're going thru an intersection it quickly changes from yellow to red. other times is do you want to slam on the brakes to stop when the light changes yellow every time and have the guy behind you rear-end you?

well i read up that law thing and that's cool but the thing i've noticed now is that around the major intersections, there are little cameras that point down to traffic. i've seen the illinois ones which has a flash reflector to take a photo of your license plate but these ones just look like regular cameras that you would see as a security camera overlooking a walmart parking lot. (that's not to say that they're not red light cameras either lol) but i've only seen them in decently busy intersections and not in every little one.

so anyone who lives around the kalamazoo, GR, or battle creek areas know if these truly are red light cameras? or are they speed cameras? i've asked around here and many people didn't know that there were cameras to begin with... others say that it was purely for watching traffic in case of accidents while others say that it's to observe traffic flow which i'm not buying (but who's to say if that's true, it will eventually become a red light camera).

anymore insight for those that have lived here for some time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan