Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

FLINT, Mich. — General Motors (GM) said Thursday it will build a factory in Flint to make four-cylinder engines for the Chevrolet Volt rechargeable electric car and other models.

GM Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner said the new plant will build a 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine that will extend the range of the Volt, and a turbocharged version that will power the Chevrolet Cruze, a compact car to be built in Lordstown, Ohio.

GM to build $370M engine plant in Michigan - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:50 AM

734 posts, read 2,616,641 times
If any place needs it, it's Flint. Good for them.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 AM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
FLINT, Mich. — General Motors (GM) said Thursday it will build a factory in Flint to make four-cylinder engines for the Chevrolet Volt rechargeable electric car and other models.

GM Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner said the new plant will build a 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine that will extend the range of the Volt, and a turbocharged version that will power the Chevrolet Cruze, a compact car to be built in Lordstown, Ohio.

GM to build $370M engine plant in Michigan - USATODAY.com
No one is talking about that they have to do this, they have agreed to keep so many UAW jobs in Flint.

It is extrememly good for Flint, but I doubt it would have happened without that agreement.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:26 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relitha View Post
Yep, how long before it shuts down? A 40k car that no one will buy. It will go 40 miles before you need to pay for that little engine as an extra add on. My Toyota gets 44 MPG and it is not a hybred. I only paid 15k for it. With the way things are going in the banking industry no one will be able to buy a car not to mention a 40k car that goes 40 miles. I would make book on GM going out of business in 5 years.
I think it's going to be $35,000. The Volt doesn't require any gas (as I understand it) if you only drive 40 miles between charges. Unlike a hybrid that switches back and forth between electric and internal combustion, the Volt is all electric for 40 miles. So if your daily commute is 20 miles or less, you probably won't use any gas during a normal work week.

I spend $50/week in gas right now. That's $2500/year in savings that would definitely put the Volt's payment in my price range.

2011 Chevrolet Volt Review and Prices

Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relitha View Post
Yep, how long before it shuts down? A 40k car that no one will buy. It will go 40 miles before you need to pay for that little engine as an extra add on. My Toyota gets 44 MPG and it is not a hybred. I only paid 15k for it. With the way things are going in the banking industry no one will be able to buy a car not to mention a 40k car that goes 40 miles. I would make book on GM going out of business in 5 years.
It'll last until the workers start demanding $30 per hour for a $15 per hour job. If Michael Moore and others wanting hand outs can keep their noses out of it, it MIGHT be successful.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:33 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I am concerned that Volt will come too late, too few of them and too high of a price to really do anythign for GM. By the time they get these things out, Toyota will already be selling a plug in Prius and GM is only plannig to make 10,000 of them the first year. Tht means that no one will be able to get them. It will be like the Solstice. Great marketing made everyone want one, but they simply were not available. Now that they are finally avialable in significant numbers, the hype has died off.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,136 times
I find myself agreeing with icepants. This Volt is going to be too little to late. And at too hight a price. Who the heck is going to fork over 40k for a car that goes 40 miles? Toyota and Nissian are building the next big battery plant that will make the Lit. Ion. Batt. These are lighter and longer lasting. The Prius will continue to at the fore front of the market. Most of the car companys that are leading in the energy issue have alread been working on the next gen. And GM is still trying to produce something comparable to the Prius. LOL They just do not get it. Say good by to GM. In the next 5 years it will be a shell of what it is now, if it even exists.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewitchdrhetoldmewhattod View Post
I find myself agreeing with icepants. This Volt is going to be too little to late. And at too hight a price. Who the heck is going to fork over 40k for a car that goes 40 miles? Toyota and Nissian are building the next big battery plant that will make the Lit. Ion. Batt. These are lighter and longer lasting. The Prius will continue to at the fore front of the market. Most of the car companys that are leading in the energy issue have alread been working on the next gen. And GM is still trying to produce something comparable to the Prius. LOL They just do not get it. Say good by to GM. In the next 5 years it will be a shell of what it is now, if it even exists.
40 miles on battery, then it switches to gas. The great majority of Americans live within 20 miles of work, so they may never (or very rarely) have to use gas. The Prius still only gets about 50 mpg, so you're still mainly relying on GAS to get it to run.

Read up on it, it's very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: