U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 PM

347 posts, read 804,936 times

Advertisements

Questions to anyone in the Houghton/Hancock area:

What you think of your computer connection, who is your service provider, and does the connection ever go down, and if so, how often?

This is critical because we run an online business and need reliable service 24/7 and a very fast connection (business class speed, maybe T1 service) that we can count on 100% of the time.

We're not house hunting til Spring, so no hurry but this is a huge concern obviously since it is how we pay the bills

Looking forward to your responses as they come along.

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 AM

2,257 posts, read 3,557,597 times
The cable provider in the Escanaba area is Chater Communications. I think they are available all over the UP. I know of many government agencies and businesses that used their business packages.

Back in the dial up days UP logon used to have their main services out of Houghton hancock. Im not sure waht kind of broadband they might offer but I pretty sure they cater to business also

Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 AM

760 posts, read 2,202,620 times
Charter is indeed in Houghon/Hancock (spouse is an employee there)

Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 PM

347 posts, read 804,936 times
Default Thanks tho' I kind of need to know

if either of you have experienced any outages, though, using the internet or is it a pretty reliable connection.

Especially interested in what you may know, 'Jeeg'...spouse working there and all.

Is it 100%? We've always used Time Warner and it's solid.

Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM

217 posts, read 544,578 times
I don't know if anything is 100%, but I've been using Charter for the past few years and the only time I've ever had an outage is when some bonehead cut the wrong line and pretty much the entire U.P. lost connection for several hours. Other than that extremely rare occurrence, I haven't had any problems.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:50 PM

760 posts, read 2,202,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost79 View Post
.... and the only time I've ever had an outage is when some bonehead cut the wrong line and pretty much the entire U.P. lost connection for several hours.
That's happened twice since we moved up here in April of '06.

I personally had a week of shoddy connection when they were rebuilding the main cable trunk (fiber optics) out at the main road.

Other then that it would be once every three months or so it might go down for a few minutes whether for maintainence or problems...... but I have this computer on almost 24/7 so most people probably wouldn't even notice that much.
We have the 10 meg home hook-up and it's very fast.

Should of talked to the spouse before typing all of that.
Business customers can get something called a "Static IP" which I guess means you're connected 24/7 to a very fast (up to 16 meg?), very secure line?
(I'm being told this as I'm typing)
She doesn't deal with the business customers, but if you go to the Charter.com site, click on business, click on Internet & data processing, then on the left you'll have a bunch of categories that should answer your questions.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 PM

261 posts, read 707,643 times
When we've visited we saw Pasty.net and Jammadots (sp?) in the UP might be worth looking into.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 PM

217 posts, read 523,181 times
IMO Charter cable and all of their services are outrageously priced, prob due to the fact that they have the market cornered up here. I have DSL thru ATT/yahoo...pay $19.95/month and have never had a problem with it. A hugely better alternative to Charter!!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,488 times
We run our businesses online so reliability is important when we move to the U.P.
We've got Charter here where we live in California. It's expensive but at least we'll know what to expect! LOL

Old 04-04-2009, 06:16 PM

217 posts, read 544,578 times
Charter will probably be losing a lot of business in the Marquette area soon as Northern Michigan University plans to install a WiMAX network this fall. This will allow anyone with an NMU account to access the internet from their house for free, provided they are within the coverage area. I'm not sure which areas will be covered, but I expect it to be the entire City of Marquette and they are planning on parts of the surrounding areas like Harvey (they're going to look and see where the most concentrated areas of students/employees are). Needless to say, the moment this happens, a lot of students and employees will be dumping their Charter cable modem service. I hope my area is covered. Saving another $50/month would be very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or