U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM

63 posts, read 254,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendersunrise View Post
The college and LOCAL surrounding area is not bad. Once you start to fan towards the outter edges of Ypsi, be careful of drugs and crime.
I agree. I hung out in the "student ghetto" near campus (on the south side of EMU) and it was pretty safe because it was mostly college students renting individual apartments in homes. On the other hand, once you start venturing near Michigan Avenue, crime and poverty increase. I have lived in this area, however, for over 5 years, and nothing criminal has EVER happened here. (knock on wood LOL) Just lots of loud music and suspicious behavior
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 05:14 AM

136 posts, read 550,539 times
Default E.M.U. and Ypsi

Ypsilanti is not a bad place to live. I've lived there more than once, and speak from experience. The area around E.M.U. is as safe as any college town. I disagree that there are a lot of homeless people hovering around the campus. Eastern Michigan University is a good school; I graduated from there and feel it is a good value in education. It's especially noted for having a good school of social work. The campus is safe. The surrounding area is safe. I've never felt uneasy or unsafe walking Ypsilanti's streets in the daytime. One needs to be alert at night virtually anywhere with a population these days; Ypsilanti is similar to most other places in this respect. It isn't gentrified, but that makes it more affordable than Ann Arbor. It's modest but respectable. There are some areas of town that are rougher/poorer, such as out Ecorse Road towards Willow Run and on the far southside near I-94, but these are nowhere near the university and even there I haven't felt unsafe.
The Old Town neighborhood a few blocks east of campus has some charming older homes. Cross Street has some interesting stores, including a used bookstore you have to inch through but where you're likely to find that old tome you've searched for forever. There are some good music venues on Michigan Avenue downtown. The Ann Arbor Observer once wrote "The best blues in town isn't in Ann Arbor, it's in Ypsilanti" ... or words to that effect. Ypsilanti isn't a postcard. It's roots are working class, but it's an all right place to go to school, and Eastern Michigan University is underrated. If other factors were satisfactory, I'd consider it. I did, and the experience was good.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:31 PM

63 posts, read 254,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Lesher View Post
Ypsilanti is not a bad place to live. I've lived there more than once, and speak from experience. The area around E.M.U. is as safe as any college town. I disagree that there are a lot of homeless people hovering around the campus. Eastern Michigan University is a good school; I graduated from there and feel it is a good value in education. It's especially noted for having a good school of social work. The campus is safe. The surrounding area is safe. I've never felt uneasy or unsafe walking Ypsilanti's streets in the daytime. One needs to be alert at night virtually anywhere with a population these days; Ypsilanti is similar to most other places in this respect. It isn't gentrified, but that makes it more affordable than Ann Arbor. It's modest but respectable. There are some areas of town that are rougher/poorer, such as out Ecorse Road towards Willow Run and on the far southside near I-94, but these are nowhere near the university and even there I haven't felt unsafe.
The Old Town neighborhood a few blocks east of campus has some charming older homes. Cross Street has some interesting stores, including a used bookstore you have to inch through but where you're likely to find that old tome you've searched for forever. There are some good music venues on Michigan Avenue downtown. The Ann Arbor Observer once wrote "The best blues in town isn't in Ann Arbor, it's in Ypsilanti" ... or words to that effect. Ypsilanti isn't a postcard. It's roots are working class, but it's an all right place to go to school, and Eastern Michigan University is underrated. If other factors were satisfactory, I'd consider it. I did, and the experience was good.
I loved attending EMU but more because of the eclectic mix of working-class people, as you mentioned. The facilities, however, leave MUCH to be desired. I attended EMU as recently as 2005 and most of our audio-visual equipment was defective and old. Washtenaw Community College has better facilities and it's a junior college. I would have preferred to attend WCC over EMU in terms of cost, but as a junior college, one cannot earn a Baccalaureate degree from this institution. The dorms were always falling apart...no heat in the winter time... I didn't live in the dorms but my friends did.

I would still attend EMU hands-down..but these are my two cents

Old 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,552 times
I am a Highschool student Looking to attend EMU, I dont want to live on campus because i want to be on my own if my boyfriend dosent accompany me. Would you reccommend this? My teachers and family dont approve because i am small and a female. They think its dangerous there. What do you think? i Think ill be alright.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 AM

20,053 posts, read 22,051,209 times
I think all freshmen have to live on campus the first year? Otherwise it's as safe for you as it is for anyone..

Old 03-17-2011, 12:33 PM
YAZ

7,024 posts, read 11,211,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I think all freshmen have to live on campus the first year? Otherwise it's as safe for you as it is for anyone..

I doubt it as Eastern is considered a "Commuter School."

When I attended, the majority of the students lived off campus and most of those only went part time. It's a great school for folks that are already working in their desired field and are clawing their way up the corporate ladder. Plenty of night classes, especially at the junior/senior/graduate levels. Parking was not an issue and I never felt unsafe.

Taking everything into account, I wouldn't reside in Ypsi or Ann Arbor though.

But I did have fun there....

Cross Street Station, The Spaghetti Bender, and the infamous Frog Island Park Blues Festival.

Keep in mind that I haven't been on EMU's campus since 1995......

Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM

23,852 posts, read 57,872,966 times
My daughter attends EMU and lives on campus. She is a sophmmore. I spend quite a bit of time there visting, attending events, etc. The campus is as safe as any other campus. Because the University allegedly tried to cover up a crime that occurred there some eyars ago (and the president of the University was fired) they have a reporting system where they send out e-mail or text messages for every single crime on campus. Even things like someone left their door open and someone walked in and took a laptop. You could get the impression that there is a lot of crime, but it is about average for a live in campus. At other places, you just do not hear about it. My daughter walks around campus at all hours and does nto feel uncomforatble as long as she stays away from certain places. Fraternity row is dangerous, but I told her to never go near anyhitng to do with a fraternity anyway (so of course she joined one). I insist that she carry her tear gas/pepper spray in her hand when she walks around, but I do not know whether she heeds me demand. However I do not care where she is, I want that pepper spray in her hand. They do have a service where someone will walk with you if you feel uncomfortable. She rarely uses it.

The droms ae older (1960s I think) but they are not horrid. They are just typical older dorms. Her dorm has an underground tunnel that goes to the eating place, so she does not have to go outside to eat. That is nice.

The city is pretty neat really. It is run down downtwon, but it has a lot of neat area and neat features. Depottown is really pleasant and charming. They have some awesome churches, beautiful architecture, decent parks and events. Overall it is not a place that I woudl choose to live permanently, becasue so many better options are nearby, but it is a great place to visit or to stay for college.

I was suprised when I first visited the campus. When I was a kid, EMU was a bit of a pit. They have a very nice campus now. There is not a lot of beautiful architecture, but the buildings and grounds are well kept, clean and pleasant.

EMU is one of the largest and best known teacher colleges. They also have a very good business program and construction management. When I was in colelge they were known for acting and music as well. They have a large and quite talented marching band and a pretty bad football team, but the students still support them pretty well.

My daughter is glad that she chose EMU. They have some teachers in her area of study that she believes ar e the best that she could get and she gets quite a bit of small classes and even one on one teaching. Her biggest gripe about Eastern is that almost all of the boys in her major are gay. That is just fine with me.

As far as the whole "Ypsitucky" thing goes, peaople say that about dozens of cities. You will find people referring to Taylortucky (Taylor), WallTucky (Walled Lake). Monroetucky (Monroe), Farmingtucky (Farmington), several others. It is all silliness. Any town with a sizable working class population gets a "tucky" stuck on the end of its name and the utterer thinks that it is original and cool. Yawn. First off there is nothing wrong with people from Kentucky in general, and in any event none of these towns has a particular concetration of people from Kentucky. It is just the trendy and popular means to insult a town and has been for the past 30 years.

Ypsi is a mix of a little bit of everyhting. Like many Michigan cities, it has a bit of factory town thrown into the mix. The main part of downtown is somewhat run down and empty, I woudl not hang out there alone at night, but then your daughter will not be hanging out downtown at night anyway, she will be busy. She will need to use common sense living there, even on campus, but i cannot think of too many places that I would tell my daughter to throw common sense to the wind and just wander about without thinking. Certainly not any college town that I can think of (maybe Hillsdale on campus, but probably not there either).

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-17-2011 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I doubt it as Eastern is considered a "Commuter School."

When I attended, the majority of the students lived off campus and most of those only went part time. It's a great school for folks that are already working in their desired field and are clawing their way up the corporate ladder. Plenty of night classes, especially at the junior/senior/graduate levels. Parking was not an issue and I never felt unsafe.

Taking everything into account, I wouldn't reside in Ypsi or Ann Arbor though.

But I did have fun there....

Cross Street Station, The Spaghetti Bender, and the infamous Frog Island Park Blues Festival.

Keep in mind that I haven't been on EMU's campus since 1995......
I think that more than half of the students now live on campus. They offer a lot of incentives to get people to live on campus the first two years. A lot of the "off campus" people live in apartments nearby, just as they do in many (most?) universities in upperclass years.

Our favorite resturaunt is "Sidetracks" in Depot town. Great food and atmosphere.

The other good news is that they are holding their tuition again, no increases despite the cuts in state support. Not sure how they are doing it. They are building new buildings like mad, so it is not like they are cutting back. They seem to be growing.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriissiie View Post
I am a Highschool student Looking to attend EMU, I dont want to live on campus because i want to be on my own if my boyfriend dosent accompany me. Would you reccommend this? My teachers and family dont approve because i am small and a female. They think its dangerous there. What do you think? i Think ill be alright.
UNless you are rich, you will have to share an apartment and it will nto be that diffrent from being in a dorm. Living on campus is safer and more convenient. My daughter wakes up at 8:45 for a 9 a.m. class. They have people who will walk with you on campus at night. They have campus security and security at the dorms. Other htan having security, I do not see a difference from an apartment.

Will you be ok in a single apartment on your own? There is no way to tell. In part it depends on where you chose to live. There are some bad areas. In part it depends on luck. It also depends on you. Do you make yourself a target? Do you walk around alone? do you wear skimpy clothing? Do you wear expenive jewlry and carry expensive electronics? Do you wander into bad areas? In an apartment, you wil have no security. Thus if you ahve a problem you are on your own unless you know your neighbors well and they are supportive. You will nto have campus security, only the regular police. There will be no one to make certain that the outside doors are locked, to screen people coming in and out or to prevent intruders from wandering around or hiding in the common areas. You are on your own. ALso you will have to walk or drive to and from campus, and you may have to cross some rough areas to do so.

All of these things re true living on or off campus at any university. At 18, no, I would not allow it. At 20 after you have some experience living on your own, mature a little, stop thinking that it will nto happen to you, only to other people, acquire a bit of wisdom and street sense, it still makes me nervous, but I could live with it.

Just remember - Pepper spray in your hand and unlocked ALL THE TIME!.

Also get a really big dog. Mastiffs are sweet and gentle and scare everyone away. Put an assistance dog vest on him and take him to class with you.

By the way, your greatest danger is probably your boyfriend. Random crime does not occur that often. Boyfriends, beating, raping or killing their girl is much more common. In fact, I believe that the murder that was mentioned above a few years ago, was a boyfriend who came to campus and killed his girlfriend. It was not a random crime. Random crime does occur, but it is far more rare.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:06 PM

50 posts, read 113,657 times
i wouldnt recommended coming into my neighborhood at night(the green). nowadays you gotta worry more about the cop sitting by the liquor store than u do the people who live there. Have had ONE bad experience with someone out here, and yes i am white before you assume anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan