Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

New Years eve 2004 as well as New Years day 2005 up here in the Ludington area it was 50 degrees and 95% of the snow was gone. The kids were playing outside in the puddles with their boats.
Attached Thumbnails
washing your car in Michigan-new-years-eve-2004-6.jpg   washing your car in Michigan-new-years-eve-2004-17.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
I have a 1998 BMW 528 w/174k miles and and 2003 X5 with 75k miles. Both cars in brand new condition as they are garaged, meticulously waxed and maintained. During warmer months, they are washed regularly in my driveway. During winter, they see a carwash about once every 2 weeks. The local Shell & Mobil station offer .10 cents off per gallon with a carwash. Been up here in TVC for 4 winters and the vehicles have no rust and run perfect. Avail yourself of the local car washes. They are vital to maintaining the vehicle during winter and DO NOT use those silly self service power wash places. They will strip any wax or protection off your vehicle, not to mention seriously injuring you if you aim the hose at the wrong crevice on your vehicle.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:26 PM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
i've never had any luck with a car wash place... either the machines scratch up my rims, spray too much water somewhere versus another spot, leave blotchiness all over, and apparently crack your windows during extreme cold temps. i don't trust anyone touching car washing it because no one will take care of your car as much as you do, even if you pay them.

that's why i usually do car washes on my own at a self-serve wash rack, using the pressure washers. i don't spray hard on the car, just around the areas where they're vulnerable to the salt that's everywhere here. i have no problem with that... just that i can't do it when the temperature continuously stays below freezing time and time again.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:01 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutt Roh View Post
i've never had any luck with a car wash place... either the machines scratch up my rims, spray too much water somewhere versus another spot, leave blotchiness all over, and apparently crack your windows during extreme cold temps. i don't trust anyone touching car washing it because no one will take care of your car as much as you do, even if you pay them.

that's why i usually do car washes on my own at a self-serve wash rack, using the pressure washers. i don't spray hard on the car, just around the areas where they're vulnerable to the salt that's everywhere here. i have no problem with that... just that i can't do it when the temperature continuously stays below freezing time and time again.
You just can't leave your car wet in the winter in Michigan and let it air dry. That's where you'll run into trouble. Maybe it's just me, but I take my car to regular car washes all the time and never notice any scratches. Granted, I drive a newer van that is not exactly a classic car, so I don't labor over the fine details of the paint job and rims.

Go to a place where they hand brush your car at the beginning and chamois dry it at the end and I think you'll be pretty happy. There's one by us (if you're in Grand Rapids) that is only $7. $10 I think if you want wax and underbody wash.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:55 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
I live back on a dirt road, off of a dirt road and do 95% of my driving on dirt roads....really no point in washing my truck. They use sand on the roads up here, so really no salt worries

Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Wash your car? Whatever for? You could not possibly get home with it still clean. I might wash it once a year at the end of winter. Never had a spot of rust. That is a prblem of the past

Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
I don't bother washing the car between November - April. It's pointless because it snows at least once a week here, and they love to dump salt/sand on the roads every time there's a light dusting. I've had my car for two years, and there's no rust.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times
Well working on a farm, I've seen my fair share of "rusty" cars/equipment. Also doing detailing/shop on the side. Having heated shops makes it nice. I usually wash my cars twice a week in the winter. And PLEASE DON'T use the brushes at the local carwash or go in the drive through one. And DON'T let dealerships/or repair facilities wash your car. I know for the average joe its okay, but being heavily into detailing I know what it does to your cars finishes. Theres so much to learn just about a proper wash that you wouldn't think. As far as winter for my clients if they don't want me to wash/detail them in the winter just because of the hassle in the winter I tell them to use ONR or QEW. But first take your car to the local carwash and ONLY use the sprayer to remove all the dirt/salt/snow you can. As I would be buffing it anyways come summer, but just to save your car and the clear on it. And if they don't want to take the time to wash it, I tell them to at least take it there and spray it down with the water just to remove the majority of dirt/salt/snow.

And if your wondering why I say washing you car is not as easy (well it can be) but shouldn't be as just using some dish soap in a bucket and drying with your bath towels. If so I'll be up against this...50/50

from this...

to this...

Sorry for the post, lol. I just hate seeing people wash cars and doing more harm as I am constantly checking paint finishes on any passing car, lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 AM

274 posts, read 998,426 times
^ nah man. i feel the same way. i want to wash my car more frequently to rid of excess salt and grime on my car but i'm not sure how to go about doing it properly in freezing temps... i've been told that you wash your car in the winter time when the temp is above freezing. i mean being in michigan, i've heard that the temps are sporadic and i mean this week alone the temps won't rebound above freezing anytime soon.

i'm afraid of windows cracking anything (as it's happened to me this past friday) or doing more damage than good when washing my car in the winter. ONR is great i've been told, but you unless you have a lift, you can't get to the underside of your car. and no, i don't have the luxury of having a heated garage with any water hoses - hell, my apartment complex doesn't allow you to wash your car on their grounds. i just have an ordinary garage.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
How cheap can one be? Not wash your vehicle for an entire winter? Amazing

A little education for some of you:

Car Washing Facts and Advice : ROAD & TRAVEL Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan