Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 18,880 times

Advertisements

I attend University of Michigan-Flint currently. I'm not all that impressed with it. But if you're looking for a decent reputation with a reasonable price, it's a great school. Bear in mind it's mostly a commuter school though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 05:14 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,482 times
I can only speak with knowlege about Hillsdale. It provided my child an outstanding experience. The school is small, traditional and highly rated. The music facilities are nearly new and continuously invested in. The college is in the middle of an infrastructure upgrade that is replacing or renovating nearly every building on campus plus adding several new facilities. A visit to Hillsdale would be a terrific ay to get to know the attributes of this nationally respected institution.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:25 PM

21 posts, read 65,855 times
As some have mentioned, UofM (ANN ARBOR) is in a completely different league as compared to the other schools you mentioned. It is not a 'large regional state school', it's is actually an elite school at the level of Yale, Duke, UNC, MIT, Stanford. Yes, students don't get the type of individual attention they get a very small liberal arts college, but the exposure to the world class work that is being done there most definitely compensates for it. Their music program is one of the top 10 university affiliated programs in the country. Ann Arbor is also often voted one of the best towns to live in the US and extremely safe.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Here are the music school rankings in the USA.
Music Graduate School Rankings

UofM is
#2 in composition,
#1 in conducting,
#7 in jazz,
#4 in the Masters program,
#5 in Opera/Voice,
#4 in Orchestra,
#4 in Piano.

As I mentioned, a completely different league.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbusiness View Post
I can only speak with knowlege about Hillsdale. It provided my child an outstanding experience. The school is small, traditional and highly rated. The music facilities are nearly new and continuously invested in. The college is in the middle of an infrastructure upgrade that is replacing or renovating nearly every building on campus plus adding several new facilities. A visit to Hillsdale would be a terrific ay to get to know the attributes of this nationally respected institution.
That's good to hear.

My mother, before she died, and now my wife and I send occasional donations to Hillsdale because it is a unique, independent and remarkable school.

The way they run the school IMO provides a valuable lesson and role model in maintaining your standards in an insane world.

They accept NO government money, state or federal. That includes VA money. The college has various resources they use to replace those funding sources for students.
They therefore are not encumbered and ensnared by the thousands of tentacles/conditions that come with all that "free" money.

Michigan is among the states we are considering a move to, despite its union-heavy atmosphere and corrupt, incompetent government. The core industry strength, depressed prices, and the Hillsdale area and VFW Orphans Home in Eaton Rapids VFW National Home for Children : National Home History (http://www.vfwnationalhome.org/about_us/national_history.shtml - broken link) as areas of interest and possible volunteer activities are a few of the attractions.

Back to the original topic: I look forward to hearing the OP's impressions of Hillsdale College if you visit.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:23 PM

228 posts, read 594,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsam View Post
As some have mentioned, UofM (ANN ARBOR) is in a completely different league as compared to the other schools you mentioned. It is not a 'large regional state school', it's is actually an elite school at the level of Yale, Duke, UNC, MIT, Stanford.
I wouldn't quite go that far.
Here are the latest US News rankings:

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

As you can see, U of M is number 26 among nationally ranked universities, certainly excellent for a public university but not quite what I would consider an equivalent of the schools you've listed. There are, you'll notice, three public universities ranked ahead of it according to this list. You'll also notice that lowly MSU, generally considered the red-headed stepchild to the glamorous university in Ann Arbor, is ranked at number 71; not actually that far behind, and solidly among the top tier.

The discrepancy between the two universities these days isn't what it once was or what Ann Arborites would like to believe. In reality, of course depending on what your career interests are, in most cases you can't go wrong with either.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
I wouldn't quite go that far.
Here are the latest US News rankings:

National Universities Rankings - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

As you can see, U of M is number 26 among nationally ranked universities, certainly excellent for a public university but not quite what I would consider an equivalent of the schools you've listed. There are, you'll notice, three public universities ranked ahead of it according to this list. You'll also notice that lowly MSU, generally considered the red-headed stepchild to the glamorous university in Ann Arbor, is ranked at number 71; not actually that far behind, and solidly among the top tier.

The discrepancy between the two universities these days isn't what it once was or what Ann Arborites would like to believe. In reality, of course depending on what your career interests are, in most cases you can't go wrong with either.
Well the Original Poster did not mention MSU, but:

Sorry I don't want to sound like a big goupie fo UofM but I miss the logic. UofM is #26 but it is not at the level of the other 25 (25 point range), but MSU is 75, which is pretty much the same as #26 (50 point range)??.

The point is that even by the USNW ranking, UofM is one of the top elite schools in the US and actually a bit under-ranked based on how it is ranked on most departments. For example UofM is ranked

#2 in psychology
#3 in sociology
#3 in political science
#3 in sociology
#7 in history
#9 In Law
#12 in Business
#11 In Medicine
#9 in Engeneering
#9 in Math

And in the top 10 in all music disciplines (which is most relevant to the original poster)

If that is not an elite school I don't know what else people want. The consistency across all disciplines is at par with all other elite schools.

In how many disciplines is MSU ranked in the top 10? or top 25? MSU is a great school and you can get a great education there- not just good: GREAT, but it is simply not in the same ballpark as UofM.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
MSU is not an option. Too big for them. They have no interest.

U-M only is considered because it is close, becuase I and my wife both went there and because a close friend of theirs will go there. They really want smaller schools.

I was looking at the Michigan admission standards, they are really high (2.8 GPA) 27 ACT and 1460 I think SAT. That means that pretty much everyone who goes there was in the top 10% of their class.

I am surprised ot see U-M Law ranked # 9. It was juggling with Havard and Yale for the 1 ,2 or 3 spot in the 1980s. Of course different journals rank the schools very differently. Some journals always rank Berkley #1 no matter what.

Anyway. What I am intersted in as to U-M is whether they have a well known quality music teaching program and a good theater program (and English, but I already know that they have good liberal arts progras).

I am particularly intersted in learning about the other schools since I know nothing about them except what I can find ont he internet which is not a lot. I do nto know what atmosphere is good for sweet naive innocent girls. I was not like that and did nto really know many people like that. I was a bit of a hell raiser, so what was good for me, is probably not what they need.

I remember that Eastern was once known as THE teaching school in Michigan. Is it still? Eastern has appeal becuase she cna probably get a full scholarship. HIllsdale has appeal beacuse it is small and not controlled by government. But is it a good place for a teacher? DO they have a good theater program? Creative writing?

Every place seems to say that they are great for everything. Then you find out that it is not true.

One interent site said that Alma is not considered a good teachers school by the Michigan department of Education. That was a very old reference (early 1990s I think). Does anyone know where it stands now.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Anyway. What I am intersted in as to U-M is whether they have a well known quality music teaching program and a good theater program (and English, but I already know that they have good liberal arts progras).
The education program at UofM is ranked #9 in the nation. I can't find the music education rankings - but given the ranking of both the music and education departments I assume the music ed is also a top 10 program.

You should also check UofM residential college. It is an honors liberal arts college within UofM. It functions pretty much like an independent college (all courses taught by PhDs in small groups, etc) but they have the experience of going to UofM.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 PM

Here is the link to UofM residential college:

The RC - University of Michigan Residential College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan