U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,448 times
Wink Grand Haven/spring Lake

I Have Researched This Area, And Everthing About It Sounds Great.my Only Question Is, How Many Religous Zealots Are Around This Area, Is My Family Going To Be Constantly Harrassed? Is Everything In These Towns Religion Based? I Dont Mind A Conservative Area,but Extreme Religion, I Dont Think I Could Handle That. I Am From Port Orange (a Daytona Suburb) And Other Than A Few Jehovah Witness.it's Not That Religous Based. Any Imput Would Be Very Helpfull. I Will Also Be Working In Grand Rapids.how Is That Area??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:41 PM

20 posts, read 68,775 times
I cant say i spend much time there outside of the summer, but the locals have been nothing but nice to me. Maybe its because they want me to spend money there! In all seriousness, as a GR resident i love spending summer days in GH and would highly recommoned the city

Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 AM

7,416 posts, read 2,430,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONKEYBONES71 View Post
I Have Researched This Area, And Everthing About It Sounds Great.my Only Question Is, How Many Religous Zealots Are Around This Area, Is My Family Going To Be Constantly Harrassed? Is Everything In These Towns Religion Based? I Dont Mind A Conservative Area,but Extreme Religion, I Dont Think I Could Handle That. I Am From Port Orange (a Daytona Suburb) And Other Than A Few Jehovah Witness.it's Not That Religous Based. Any Imput Would Be Very Helpfull. I Will Also Be Working In Grand Rapids.how Is That Area??
The Grand Haven/Spring Lake/Ferrysburg area is one of the best in the entire state. The people here aren't really in your face about religion, there may be a few, but I am sure you can find that anywhere. The area has a lot to offer.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 AM

1,903 posts, read 5,645,434 times
My parents in the metro Detroit area want to move to Spring Lake/Grand Haven. It's not terribly religious from what I can tell; less so than the Grand Rapids burbs area. I think the lakeshore attracts a lot of empty-nesters maybe?

Old 03-03-2007, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,448 times
Thanx For The Imput!! Does The Area Welcome Outsiders?residents Not Tourists.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Yes, in fact I would bet that less than half the resident population was actually born in Grand Haven/Spring Lake/Ferrysburg.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:42 AM

25 posts, read 68,691 times
I have lived in Grand Haven for the past 6 years and Michigan for 15 of 20 years. Great place - I have four kids in school - all are doing great. Great parent involvement. The summers are awesome! We have traveled a bit and this is one of the best places we have visited - it is like living in a resort! Beaches and sand are some of the best in the world – so they say – I agree, and not because I am from here – I have experienced beaches from FL to Maine! Unfortunately we may be moving, as economic conditions are not great, unless you are in the tourist trade. If you decide to move here – ensure your employer is well diversified and is less than a 60% focus on automotive. The state is in for a rough ride. I am an engineering executive – and cannot find suitable employment. I know many folks that have been looking for over a year. Don’t let that scare you, there are some great companies around here. I am familiar with most and would be happy to lend a perspective if you send me a private message. I would also be glad to answer any other questions you might have about the area.

Best of Luck!

Frankly the impetus for responding to your posting, was due to the great input I received from others in this site. Ensure you pass information from your present hometown to others as well – if you are so moved.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:53 AM

7,223 posts, read 10,904,195 times
Monkeybones

I was wondering where you got the impression that Grand Haven/Spring Lake had a lot of religious zealots? I've never heard that before (having lived in suburban Grand Rapids for 11 years).

There are a lot of Dutch reformed that live in a belt that runs from Holland, Zeeland, Hudsonville, and down through Byron Center, all Southwest of Grand Rapids, but that's basically it.

Grand Haven is one of the best Lake Michigan resort towns, but I always got the feeling there isn't a lot going on there on the off-season.

Mag.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:24 AM

I remember there was an issue with the giant cross raised on Sundays a top of Dewey Hill (across the river from downtown). However, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Grand Haven area has some nice parks - including PJ Hoffmaster state park, and the Coast Guard festival which draws in crowds close to a quarter million. Plus the GH area has better mexican food than most in the area.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 AM

91 posts, read 299,766 times
Holland is where the zealots are. Grand Haven is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan