U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM

4,414 posts, read 4,803,207 times
Default Places in the U.P. for good fishing trips with family?

I'm looking for some advice and tips for good getaway (and everything in between) trips in the U.P. for some good fishing with the family.

Any cabins and/or towns/ to suggest? (etc.) Would like to do some shore fishing, but if the need or desire arises, we could do something with a charter fishing expo.

My family loves to go fishing; a family that fishes together stays together!

I would appreciate any and every tidbit and morsel of info on the subject!

I'm in the early stages of planning for the summer....

Thanks in advance,

Blue Grass Fever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:27 PM

969 posts, read 1,516,717 times
The UP is abound with fishing oppurtunities. You may be somewhat limited from shore. Luce county, near the town of Paradise offers up a lot of stream access on the 2 hearted river and with various small streams all over that have excellent trout fishing.

You may also want to consider NW lower Michigan. There are many more fishing oppurtunities.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 AM

188 posts, read 411,803 times
I think that it's called Black Camp, on the northwest end of Brevort Lake, just about 10 miles or so to the west of St Ignace. Brevort is a pretty good lake, lots of fishes for the kids and the elders.

Another place, I think it's called deer lake park... Primitive campground last time I was there. But it was on an amazing little lake with 15" perch. Would have thought it to be Lake St Clair with these monsters. Two fish every 5 minutes on a perch rig. Yummy! It's right up near the Lk Sup shoreline, I want to say just east of Pictured Rock. Check out google maps, it will be on there.

If you're into wrestling Salmon, August and the beginning of september would be a great time to take a trip to DeTour Village at the far eastern end. You can hire a charter at North Country Sports in town or at the harbor. Mid august you'll have the best luck. We took a couple that were 48" + a couple years back. One that was 54" and weight a ****-ton - He was a moose of a fish.

Tons of other great spots too. Check out craigslist for the UP and look for vacation rentals. Off the beaten path places are usually the best.

In NW Lower MI there are a lot of nice little lakes surrounded by bait shops. Some of which have cabins. Scott's Lake in Antrim County (near bellaire, east jordan, central lake) is one such lake. I know the previous owners just sold the baitshop there, so I'm not sure what it's called now. But they have cabins. Most of the time the smaller shops will let you just show up as they don't have the money to advertise rentals all over the place. Another is right down the road on Six Mile Lake. Just about 3 or 4 miles north on Six Mile Lake Road. He's got cabins too. Both lakes are excellent. Check out Maple's Resort in Bellaire. He's at the south end of Intermediate Lake. Last I knew it was around $800 for a week - included a boat. Nice little cabins tucked back in the woods. Ask for Greg Jedda if you call them - great guy. There is also Gordie's tackle in Central Lake at the northern end of Intermediate. They have cabins and boats.

Honestly, I could go on for 3 or 4 pages with Antrim County places to fish. Your best bet is to get on the phone and then check back on the web with questions about specific places. Too many great places to miss out there.

Like I said, though, you'll want to keep off the beaten path though. Fishing pressure goes through the roof at yuppie villages with tons of guests. I don't know about you, but I go fishing to catch fish. Not laugh at the yuppie learning to tie a knot!

Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 AM

362 posts, read 895,213 times
Try the Slate River outside of L'Anse for trout.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPipe View Post
Like I said, though, you'll want to keep off the beaten path though. Fishing pressure goes through the roof at yuppie villages with tons of guests. I don't know about you, but I go fishing to catch fish. Not laugh at the yuppie learning to tie a knot!
Precisely my views too!

That's what i'm looking for, an off-the-beaten-path fishing vacation with my family.

I'd figure the U.P. would be the perfect spot for this....

Old 12-23-2008, 02:36 PM

550 posts, read 1,201,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Precisely my views too!

That's what i'm looking for, an off-the-beaten-path fishing vacation with my family.

I'd figure the U.P. would be the perfect spot for this....

yes i agree on all places previously mentioned...the NE part of the LP is perfect too...cheboygan is a fisherman's paradise....not crowded...the longest inland waterway in the state-many inland lakes, the straits of mackinac to fish in....salmon, walleye, perch, sturgeon (in the right season!).... have you ever gone to Made In Michigan Official Michigan Fishing Guide - Fish Reports - Lake Maps - Tackle Tips - Michigan Interactive i have used it to recommend fishing and boating lakes! i am not a fisher, but the rivers and lakes around cheboygan are always favorite places for fisherman! you can even take the ferry the the remote bois blanc island from cheboygan!...goodluck!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 AM

217 posts, read 326,089 times
Marquette and surrounding area has MANY streams, and of course Lake Superior. You can fish Superior off the breakwall, or there are numerous charter fishing boats.Also Big Bay, which is about 30 north of Marquette has Lake Superior access, and Lake Independence, and the Garlic rivers. Plus the area is downright beautiful!!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
Marquette and surrounding area has MANY streams, and of course Lake Superior. You can fish Superior off the breakwall, or there are numerous charter fishing boats.Also Big Bay, which is about 30 north of Marquette has Lake Superior access, and Lake Independence, and the Garlic rivers. Plus the area is downright beautiful!!

Marquette!........ Good advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan