Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

23 milllion illegal immigrants.
federal supported labor busting.
under the table NAFTA.
monster trade deficits allowed only bek they out resource american labor.
the dismantling of american labor market.
look at the CDF posts on college loans finally the kids have figured out that there is not a pot of gold at the end of that 180 000 dollar student loan.
unions made us what we are and lack thereof will take up back from where we came.
see those poor mexican people out picking peaches in the fields see your kid sitting on the couch? that is guna change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM

195 posts, read 972,533 times
I'm not into unions.. rather I'm into people going to university and earning a four year or graduate degree. It's not hard, you just have to work more than a slacker.

Unions are the cop out answer. It's the unskilled answer to a high paying career.. Union workers have to develop a "real" skill rather than get overpaid for a job that requires no intellect.. excuse me for shedding light on reality, but as politically incorrect as it is, they are such.

Only in SE Michigan and some parts of Ohio they'd tear me apart, but in reality the rest of the 48 states do not have such miserable hangups.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:37 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfarmer View Post

Unions are the cop out answer. It's the unskilled answer to a high paying career.. Union workers have to develop a "real" skill rather than get overpaid for a job that requires no intellect.. excuse me for shedding light on reality, but as politically incorrect as it is, they are such.
Actually that is NOT shedding light on anything. Your view on what is covered by Unions is seriously flawed, as is your take on typical Union jobs. Most are highly skilled jobs that take years of training to do, let along do well. I am not union, I am not pro-union, but I am anti-ignorance and your statement falls into that category whether intentional or not. I will not debate this point nor will I argue this point; because I have found that most who view the trades and manual labor as unintelligent and mindless work will not change their minds or have an open enough mind to see the truth either. Unions cover all aspects of work from white collar to blue collar. I don't agree with them and think their time is past, but your statement is just plain wrong.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 AM

65 posts, read 123,083 times
...agrees....think MEA, SEIU, Nurse's Unions etc....... hardly knuckle buster jobs unions............

Old 01-09-2009, 07:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
Quote:
I'm not into unions.. rather I'm into people going to university and earning a four year or graduate degree. It's not hard, you just have to work more than a slacker.

Only in SE Michigan and some parts of Ohio they'd tear me apart, but in reality the rest of the 48 states do not have such miserable hangups.
Union or not just because you don't go to college, by no means is one dumb or not skilled. I am far more impressed by someone who can take raw materials like wood or steel and with thier skill and craftsmanship turn it into something beautiful rather than some "smart one" who sits at a desk and analyzes data, puts on powerpoint presentations, etc.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:54 AM

195 posts, read 972,533 times
Bydand, you're absolutely right.

Sorry I'm referring to unions for workers in manufacturing fields that could be done by anyone. It was late when I typed that and I was aiming for brevity rather than accuracy in my actual belief.

I just cannot understand how someone who is "trained" by a company such as Ford Motor Co., to do the exact same operation over and over again for the next 20 years, can possibly expect to receive an ungodly sum per hour for doing just that, simply because they belong to a union.

I am pro-business, definitely not pro-union. I'm a pretty liberal guy when it comes to most things, but I absolutely do not believe in the workers of any company taking control by "demanding." In America, these pampered $40/hr workers believe they have the right to everything and thus demand stratospheric wages for doing simple easily-trainable procedures. Then these UAW-types cry when plants close here to have the work performed for less in Mexico, China or other countries where workers actually work without whining that they "didn't get the first day of hunting season off..."

Having clean, safe working conditions (incl. proper hours) is one thing... but it is not appropriate that workers threaten to strike if they do not get their demands met. Unions are a total and absolute threat to the advancement of any corporation. I believe they operate like thugs and don't deserve to even be acknowledged.

I respect workers who cross the picket line to work and get paid. They're infinitely more appreciative in this economy of having a job rather than park their bloated rumps outside the company on a lawn chair, holding a sign that puts down their employer. Rather, the responsible and mature answer would be to find a different job rather than use your union as a noose around the company's neck. Those types of "organizations" should be outlawed.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
Live by the unions, die by the unions.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 AM

65 posts, read 123,083 times
it's public unions to really fear....I don't have to buy a chevy....I do have to pay all my state/fed taxes. When public sector jobs out pace the private sector in pay increases by appx 18% in this state,vs private and your house,property and even your freedom ride on public sector employees getting their pay raise, that my friend is something to fear indeed. That is also where we stand in Michigan at this moment,....and the new administrations both Fed and the state courts.....will be ever more gluttonous and profane.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Bydand, you're absolutely right.

Sorry I'm referring to unions for workers in manufacturing fields that could be done by anyone. It was late when I typed that and I was aiming for brevity rather than accuracy in my actual belief.

I just cannot understand how someone who is "trained" by a company such as Ford Motor Co., to do the exact same operation over and over again for the next 20 years, can possibly expect to receive an ungodly sum per hour for doing just that, simply because they belong to a union.
I think we are much closer to the same stance on union/non-union than the last couple of posts may indicate. I also don't agree with a lot of the job protections that are part of the union. I worked union for a brief time and frankly got tired of actually working all day while half the crew spent the day hiding in the plant rolling fat ones and getting the same pay (or usually, more depending on seniority in the union.)

Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Live by the unions, die by the unions.
Jimmy Hoffa would agree.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: