U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 AM
 
21,887 posts, read 17,085,353 times
Reputation: 8795

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Where would you get that idea ? You can't have it all. If you could ( no elected Government ) , than we would not be a democratic republic. We would be a Fascist state , much like Nazi Germany was, when all private industry was controlled by a very few " select" peoples. Socialism is not a bad word , just like too much of anything , is not good . We need a balance , putting , the people first , not the other way around.
So we mean private industry, good. Let us say you and I have 100 million to invest in heavy industry.
It is going to take us five years to get the permits. If things go good. We can be up and running in China and making money in two. OK, partner, why should we build in the US???

In the drilling business, the DEQ/EPA would like to call the drilling mud that comes out of a bore hole toxic waste. So, we would haul it to Detroit. It will make the average water well cost $700/$1000 more. So far we are just ducking a bullet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM
 
19,219 posts, read 6,624,780 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Well now, that's a pretty anthopocentric statement!

Hayek on Patents and Copyrights - Mises Economics Blog

I think the U.S. has been Fascist since the enactment of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.

Wasn't that the perfect marriage between Big Business and Big Government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM
 
19,219 posts, read 6,624,780 times
Reputation: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I think the U.S. has been Fascist since the enactment of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913.

Wasn't that the perfect marriage between Big Business and Big Government?
I suggest that "elsewhere", be allowed, under the guarantees of Individual Rights enumerated as the 9th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Since the founding of this nation, there has been an ongoing battle between Big Business and Big Government over who gets to be on top.

Capitalism - When Big Business is on top.

Socialism - When Big Government is on top.

Fascism - When Big Business and Big Government are lying on their sides (69 or 99).

U.S. Constitution - Free Enterprise.

I wonder why Hitler, the Socialist, admired Mussolini, the Fascist, so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,018 posts, read 8,246,761 times
Reputation: 2229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
So we mean private industry, good. Let us say you and I have 100 million to invest in heavy industry.
It is going to take us five years to get the permits. If things go good. We can be up and running in China and making money in two. OK, partner, why should we build in the US???

In the drilling business, the DEQ/EPA would like to call the drilling mud that comes out of a bore hole toxic waste. So, we would haul it to Detroit. It will make the average water well cost $700/$1000 more. So far we are just ducking a bullet.
Things are not so good in China ether. Huge pollution problems , Communist Government , ( They could turn on you in a minute ) , pay their people very little , human rights , on and on . let along , the huge waste , of shipping products half way around the world, fuel , hazards . Do you know who owns the Steamship lines ? They also own most of our debt , we will , ( are already ) , working for China. Won't be long , and they will be making the final delivery's to Walmart......with their own drivers.......still want to have things made in China ?
Our balance of trade is so out of balance , that , the only way this Country will excell again , is to make stuff HERE , what ever the additional cost. Big Business will continue to go where they can make the most bottom line profit , for now , not for the long haul. What is needed for business is investment tax credits , so , they will buy machinery to make things , along , with tariffs that protect the American producers. I am sure thats one you don't like ether........ We do it for the Farmers , why not industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM
 
21,887 posts, read 17,085,353 times
Reputation: 8795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Things are not so good in China ether. Huge pollution problems , Communist Government , ( They could turn on you in a minute ) , pay their people very little , human rights , on and on . let along , the huge waste , of shipping products half way around the world, fuel , hazards . Do you know who owns the Steamship lines ? They also own most of our debt , we will , ( are already ) , working for China. Won't be long , and they will be making the final delivery's to Walmart......with their own drivers.......still want to have things made in China ?
Our balance of trade is so out of balance , that , the only way this Country will excell again , is to make stuff HERE , what ever the additional cost. Big Business will continue to go where they can make the most bottom line profit , for now , not for the long haul. What is needed for business is investment tax credits , so , they will buy machinery to make things , along , with tariffs that protect the American producers. I am sure thats one you don't like ether........ We do it for the Farmers , why not industry.
We are back to square one. How are we going to make things with out the permits?? And I mean heavy industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
 
19,219 posts, read 6,624,780 times
Reputation: 2337
I hate square one.

As a diversionary break, would anyone care to speculate scenarios that would result if the U.S. were to repudiate all foreign debt, and then enact tariffs high enough on all foreign imports to put foreign products out of the reach of 90% of the U.S. population?

What would China do?

What would India do?

What would Japan do?

What would Germany do?

What would Russia do?

What would the U.S. do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
 
Location: In my house
541 posts, read 601,063 times
Reputation: 297
businesses in the US are taxed roughly at 35%,Ireleand 11%,see a problem beginning here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
 
21,887 posts, read 17,085,353 times
Reputation: 8795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I hate square one.

As a diversionary break, would anyone care to speculate scenarios that would result if the U.S. were to repudiate all foreign debt, and then enact tariffs high enough on all foreign imports to put foreign products out of the reach of 90% of the U.S. population?

What would China do?

What would India do?

What would Japan do?

What would Germany do?

What would Russia do?

What would the U.S. do?
Oh, that is not my question at all. They would build the factories. We won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
 
Location: In my house
541 posts, read 601,063 times
Reputation: 297
If it all broke down,I bet the US could be self-sufficient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
 
19,219 posts, read 6,624,780 times
Reputation: 2337
Top taxes on U.S. Businesses under Eisenhower were 90% when Government was on top. (Socialism)

Top taxes on U.S. Businesses under JFK were 70% when Government was on top. (Socialism)

Top taxes on U.S. Businesses under Reagan were 38% when Big Business was on top. (Capitalism)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top