Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,015 times

Advertisements

I am having a heck of a time finding a home that allows fencing! I live in Birmingham now and have a large lot for my kids and dogs. We are now considering moving to Troy, Rochester HIlls, Lake Orion or Clarkston-most of these new subs do not allow you to have a fence-what is with that? I mean I understand if you have a pool (which I do not want) you can-but what about peoples dogs-they are just as life threatening as pools to kids-if you have those you should be able to fence too right? (my dogs are as nice as can be-but I worry about others etc etc)
If anyone has any subs you can reccomend in those areas that allow fencing-I would appreciate it. If my husbands business was not here- I would totally be moving out of this state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times
You got it right, some nit-wits in the city council decided it doesn't look nice to have fences! So new homes in those cities don't allow them. How ridiculous is that? I think it's nuts!

If you want to go to those cities you will have to look at older housing. They allow fences, it's just the newer neighborhoods that don't.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
grm

1 posts, read 5,245 times
I am just as frustrated. There are plenty of homes we have fallen in love with in the Canton/Livonia area, the only problem is that most of the newer subs do not allow private fencing. We absolutely need a fence for our dogs, but we would also love to have our own private backyard.

I understand that some people in certain subs think fences are ugly, unsightly.. whatever. They however will not be paying my mortgage so I guess this is what bothers me the most.

I guess I have to keep looking for the perfect home that allows private fencing.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 PM

339 posts, read 975,831 times
There are new subs that allow fencing, it depends on the HOA. I live in a new subdivision in Sterling Heights that allow fencing. In this area there are other smaller new subdivisions that also allow fencing. There are restrictions though, it has to be an aluminum fence or a composite material. No wood fencing is allowed which is fine with me because they need a lot of work and after a couple of years they look horrible if they are not kept up well.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,997 times
I will never understand this "no fences" thing up here. Don't people know that good fences make good neighbors?!!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:12 PM

44 posts, read 181,839 times
just wondering... is the "no private fencing" a rule in the majority area of Grand Rapids suburbs?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
I will never understand this "no fences" thing up here. Don't people know that good fences make good neighbors?!!
I completely agree!!! We are in the same boat. We have two small children and two small dogs....all of which I would like to keep safe in our yard. We have ruled out dozens of homes on the market simply because they don't have fences. I live in a city where the majority of homes are fenced and they look great.

I wondered why no one seemed bothered by this. Glad to know I am not alone

Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
In many subdvsions, the neighbors all more or less share their back yards so that they have a giant park behind them. Fences take awy from that, plus they look ugly. However since most new subdivisions look ugly anyway, especially the back side of most new homes, I am not sure a fence makes things look any worse.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Older communities seem to allow fences more often.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 5,099 times
Default What a shame

Been looking for over 6 months for a subdivision that would allow fencing. Me and my husband have also found homes we love with perfect lots but no fencing. Forget about pulte homes, winmill homes and toll brothers. Crosswinds, seville home builders , and brooklynn homes of van buren allow fencing. Good luck and please let me know if you find any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan