Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM

968 posts, read 2,581,246 times

Advertisements

We should seriously be marching on DC and demanding all those useless politicians be removed and demanding someone take some real action that doesn't involve catering to special interest groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 06:18 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,214,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
We should seriously be marching on DC and demanding all those useless politicians be removed and demanding someone take some real action that doesn't involve catering to special interest groups.
But, we won't. We all know we STILL have it better than any other people on the Earth. Sure thing could be better. Risk what we have??? Not me.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Don't get me wrong. I am 100% against the stimulus bill. I will get a big piece of it too. I am a minority contractor according to HUD. I'm a girl.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:09 PM

541 posts, read 981,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
But, we won't. We all know we STILL have it better than any other people on the Earth. Sure thing could be better. Risk what we have??? Not me.
driller,i'm disappointed,risk what we have? Sure things could be better?
As i recall,i think a few fellas some years ago felt the same way,and,well,the declaration of independence was signed and delivered

Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,125,587 times
Default Maybe I can help

IM me so I can find you. I might be able to find a solution if you are willing to relocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Teachers at charter schools don't vest. Unfortunately, parents don't care how long their child's teacher has been around so charters treat teachers like a cheap easily replacable commodity.

I would love to see more charters created. More compitition means more schools vying for my services. My chances of getting into a district are slim and none but if enough charter parents want experienced teachers, they'll have to start paying us to keep us. I don't expect to make the kind of wages that union teachers make as that's part of our problem with education. I just want to get to livable wage. Seems it's one extreme of another here. It's $34K with a two masters degrees and no future raises (literally NO RAISES other than a meager "COL" raise that doesn't cover inflation) or starting at $43K with a stepped wage scale that ends at $85K. I'd be happy with something in the middle.

So if you know of any charters hiring teachers at a decent wage that actually give raises, please post their wherabouts. I have a masters in chemical engineering, a master of arts in teaching and certs in math (EX), Physics (DE) and Chemistry (DC). I'm looking for something that will allow me to get to a wage in the mid 50's some day. Say in 5-7 years. I don't really care if I make more than that. I didn't go into teaching to get rich. I just want a fair wage. The charter I'm with tops at $34K. The only raises I'll ever get will be state increases which won't even cover inflation. It's all or nothing. Get into a union district and hit the lotto or starve. What we need is something in the middle.

I'm not familiar with Deming's white pages. Care to elaborate?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
driller,i'm disappointed,risk what we have? Sure things could be better?
As i recall,i think a few fellas some years ago felt the same way,and,well,the declaration of independence was signed and delivered
I own land in a third world country. How much detail do you want??? I pay bribes to the gangs and bribes to the government.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,060,095 times
Quote:
Just read this in an article about how the stimulus package affects me:

"Millions of workers can expect to see about $13 extra in their weekly paychecks, starting around June, from a new $400 tax credit to be doled out through the rest of the year"

So how are all of you going to spend your $13/week? Yup, this is REALLY going to help the economy

Let's see I went from making a salary in the upper 80's to the low $30's and Obama thinks $13/week is going to help. Incredible.

Of course if I didn't work at all and didn't pay taxes, I could get a $1000/ per child refund on taxes I never paid.....Can we call that what it is??? WELFARE. WHY are people who don't pay taxes getting refunds?

I have to stop reading about this stimulus plan. I'll end up throwing my computer out the window and I can't afford a new one.
Three weeks of $13 of extra money can go towards a new video game or Blu-Ray movie since the other money from my paycheck goes towards bills and food. Without that extra money their would be no reason to go into Gamestop or Target to buy a new video game or Blu-Ray movie

Old 02-18-2009, 12:37 AM

62 posts, read 126,476 times
Quote:
Just read this in an article about how the stimulus package affects me:

"Millions of workers can expect to see about $13 extra in their weekly paychecks, starting around June, from a new $400 tax credit to be doled out through the rest of the year"

So how are all of you going to spend your $13/week? Yup, this is REALLY going to help the economy

Let's see I went from making a salary in the upper 80's to the low $30's and Obama thinks $13/week is going to help. Incredible.

Of course if I didn't work at all and didn't pay taxes, I could get a $1000/ per child refund on taxes I never paid.....Can we call that what it is??? WELFARE. WHY are people who don't pay taxes getting refunds?

I have to stop reading about this stimulus plan. I'll end up throwing my computer out the window and I can't afford a new one.

You're whining because you make "only" $30,000" a year?

If I made $30,000 a year, I'd be set...

Maybe you need to re-examine your priorities.

And the reason people who don't have jobs get that money 'back' is because, ostensibly, they put it right back into the system...and a lot of those people get their money garnished immediately because of funds owed to the government/back taxes/child support/etc...

SO obammer gets to LOOK like he's doing something, some welfare mothers and their greedy TV babies get to buy new Nikes, and everyone is happy...

It's a racket...it's a joke and we all know it.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:06 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,411,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telepicker97 View Post
You're whining because you make "only" $30,000" a year?

If I made $30,000 a year, I'd be set...

Maybe you need to re-examine your priorities.

And the reason people who don't have jobs get that money 'back' is because, ostensibly, they put it right back into the system...and a lot of those people get their money garnished immediately because of funds owed to the government/back taxes/child support/etc...

SO obammer gets to LOOK like he's doing something, some welfare mothers and their greedy TV babies get to buy new Nikes, and everyone is happy...

It's a racket...it's a joke and we all know it.
$30K a year is not a livable wage or acceptable for someone with two masters degrees. $30K a year will not put my kids through college, it won't pay my mortgage (any mortgage really unless we're talking a trailer), it won't buy good medical insurance (I'm sitting on over $2K of medical bills for my daughters recent accident), it won't allow me to save for retirement (my job has no pension either)...etc, etc, etc....

So how do you propose putting a roof over my kids heads, paying for college, saving for retirement and just keeping up with medical bills on only $30K? Sorry, doesn't work. I'm praying that children's hospital will allow me to make payments at this point and the last thing I need is another payment but my daughter needed surgery and my medical insurance sucks.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:36 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,689,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
A homeless guy sleeping sitting up on a folding chair in the Detroit branch of the Salvation Army doesn't have it better. One out of every 50 people in the city is homeless. I'd rather be homeless in Japan; they have universal healthcare there at least and I wouldn't have to worry about dying because I couldn't get my prescriptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan